“Another Great Trip to Club Gand Slam”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Club Grand Slam

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Punta Allen
Club Grand Slam
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Punta Allen
Providence, Rhode Island
“Another Great Trip to Club Gand Slam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Back for the third year in a row, we had a top flight experience, as we've come to expect. Greg and Lupita welcomed us as old friends with magagaritas at the ready. Their operation is really solid now, with everything working like a well oiled machine. Lupita's food continues to be the best Mexican food that I've ever had in my life, in the US or in many places in Mexico. It is cooked with creativity and care and served with pride. The only danger is eating too much (or maybe the strong sun makes one's pants shrink). Greg remains a genial, knowledgeable host who takes care of everything. We've now fished multiple days with both of the senior guides Francisco and Benito (who are partners with Greg and Lupita) and several "ayudantes"
and can say for certain that any combination is terrific. The guides have many years of experience and know their varied waters intimately. Most importantly, they consistently put us on fish, no matter what the weather or wind conditions. We caught tarpon in the green rooms and bonefish evrywhere--and had shots at several permit and LOTS of snook (which inexplicalbly would not eat our flies). The variety is astounding and the pressure is extremely light. All this and the experience is a bargain. I've never had a better trip!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank gREGORIO32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Longview, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I tried bone fishing for the first time last year intending it to be a once in a lifetime experience i.e. bucket list. It was so enjoyable I decided to do it again. On the advice of a friend (Bob posted a review last year) I went to a different lodge, Club Grand Slam. I was not disappointed.
Capt. Greg is the perfect host, Lipita has to be the top chef in Punta Allen, the guides Francisco and Danny were absolutely fantastic. We saw parts of Ascention Bay that other guides only hope to see some day. Can't forget Marie who was there with our daily margaritas. I can't say enough about the overall experience.
I'm going to get a bigger bucket.

Larry Peterson
Longview, WA

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Townsville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Where do i start....my wife and I are avid travellers and fisho's and always try and incorporate a fishing trip in amongst a holiday. After plenty of research our information continually led us to Club Grand Slam. Hospitality is probably not the right word for this place, its more like family. Capt. Greg and Lupita were simply outstanding with Lupita's amazing local cooking (Im talkin entree, main and dessert!!), and breakfast that was ready and waiting the moment our room doors opened! We were actullay there with Sean S and shared many Dos Equis and red wine over fishing stories. Now the fishing, its what we are really there for right? Let me say, i have never seen so many bonefish at every flat, every corner and willing to dominate any artificial! We were only there for 2 days fishing and at the end of day the bonefish tally was 40+! Snook...they were loaded in certain spots and big!!! We are from Australia and snook were similar to our barramundi so we loved chasing them! Im relatively new to fly fishing and the guides Benito and Danny were soo patient with us, i learnt more in 2 days than Id ever imagined. My wife has never even seen a fly rod and the boys managed to hook Alicia up to a bonefish. They did everything in their power to put us onto fish, the more enthusiastic you were, the more they bounced off you. We took 2 spin combos in case we were absolute rubbish at fly fishing and were kept busy with nearly a fish a cast and the boys didnt mind. The people are amazing, the hospitality 11/10 and location is a must see.... Thank you Club Grand Slam, we WILL be back....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Miles T
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was our first trip to Club Grand Slam and I'm sure there will be more to come (hopefully soon). To sum up our trip, all I can really say is that everything was great! This is what a fishing lodge should be. Everyday at Club Grand Slam held the possibility of being one of our best days out on the water. A lot of credit is due to our guides who from beginning to end of each day worked tirelessly to put us on fish, and they were great company! After fishing all I really want is good food and a clean comfortable bed. Club Grand Slam delivered! They went above and beyond. The food was amazing and there was plenty of it. The room was spotless and the bed was comfortable enough for me to sleep like a baby. Our hosts made sure we were well rested and fed for the next day of fishing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I have fished with Club Grand Slam for the past 2 years and plan on returning next Spring. G reg and Lupita run the best, most authentic and most rewarding Caribbean fishing operation I have experienced. I have fished all over the Caribbean and Florida. Punta Allen is one of the few places where a fly fisherman has a reasonable shot at a Super Slam (Tarpon, Bone, Permit and Snook) in only a few days time. The guides are excellent and the accommodations (and food!) are top notch. This is by far the best value package for the dedicated saltwater fly enthusiast. Highly recommended! Book early! Jon Cole

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are great.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

My girlfriend and I travelled around Mexico and Guatemala for 8 weeks. As part of our trip we stayed at Club Grand Slam for 4 nights and 3 days of fishing in early July. As far as our hosts Greg and Lupita could remember, we were the first Australians who had stayed at Club Grand Slam.

We had excellent weather all days and great fishing. After a delicious breakfast prepared by Lupita, I waded for bonefish in the shallows with Jesus while Kristen fished for barracuda and bonefish (and snorkelled) from the boat with Francisco, who is extremely patient and welcoming and a truly excellent guide. We could get used to this.

We also spent one day in the mangroves fishing for “baby” tarpon......as a trout fisherman, they didn’t look like babies to me. On the last day Francisco and Jesus put me onto some permit but I wasn’t up to the challenge – next time.

We had margaritas on our return from fishing each night and Lupita weaved her magic in her kitchen – ceviches, tamales, fish and beautiful desserts. I have now just about lost the 6 kilos I put on during our trip (not all at Club Grand Slam of course)!

We slept well in our simple, very clean and airconditioned room. Being in remote Punta Allen, Greg and Lupita need to be very resourceful to provide the creature comforts – they are, and nothing is too much trouble for them.

We haven't stopped talking about our time at Club Grand Slam. It was really special and was the highlight of our entire trip. After day 1 of fishing, my girlfriend contemplating extending our time at Club Grand Slam really says it all. We can’t wait to go back – if only we lived closer!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Where to begin? I have so many good things to say about Club Grand Slam.
Fishing:
I spend at least 60 days fly fishing in saltwater a year, 20 of those outside of Texas. I have fished all sides of the Yucatan at various lodges. I can, with the clearest conscious, recommend this fishery to anybody. Ascension Bay needs little introduction, it has long been known as one of the best places on earth for a person to catch bonefish, permit, and tarpon in a single day. What is special about Club Grand Slam is both its location in the bay system and its guides. Club Grand Slam is in Punta Allen, the southernmost extension of the peninsula/barrier island that defines Ascension bay. That means that when you step on your skiff (maybe 80 yards from your door) you are ALREADY in the middle of the bay, unlike northern lodges. The southern edge of the bay is furthest from the bulk of the lodges, and just like every other fishery, the further you get from the docks the better the fishing. Club Grand Slam positions you at least an hours boat drive closer to those remote reaches than other lodges up the peninsula. And the guides are excellent. Perhaps owing to their equity in the guiding co-op, I found the guides to not only have the expertise you would expect, but also an uncommon drive to go the distance and put on a good day. I couldn’t have been happier with the fishing. (We did catch bonefish, tarpon, and permit – better juvenile tarpon fishing than I have had in Campeche)
The Lodge:
Greg and Lupita are true hosts. I never got within 20 yards of the place without being greeted and offered a drink or food. Greg sat and talked with us throughout our stay, a refreshing change to the typical “set and forget” mindset at many lodges. Lupita’s food is absolutely genuine and delicious. The lodge could certainly be described as “basic”, but with hot water and 24 hour power it’s far better than I would be willing to endure for the fishing and the company. It is utterly clean and comfortable; I traveled with my girlfriend and never heard a complaint.

Other Thoughts:
I realize many anglers from the northern US like to travel to Caribbean fisheries in the winter as both a respite from the cold, and to avoid hurricanes. I have always benefited from this as a Texan since I don’t mind the heat, and I have often had lodges in the summer to myself. However, consider that cold fronts in the winter are a far more common occurrence than hurricanes in the summer, and their strong northern winds are no less unfishable. Also, take my word for it that the fish don’t disappear all summer. They may not tail as hard or as long, but we were there over Labor Day and the place was lousy with fish. Consider taking advantage of the lower fishing pressure of summer. Also, my girlfriend and I had a really nice snorkel on a reef near the lodge. I would recommend including it in your trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sol Caribe
Sol Caribe
#1 of 13 in Punta Allen
GrandSlam Fly Fishing Lodge

Been to Club Grand Slam? Share your experiences!