WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Best Combo of Fishing, Food and Ambiance in the Yucatan” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Grand Slam

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Punta Allen
Club Grand Slam
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Punta Allen
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Best Combo of Fishing, Food and Ambiance in the Yucatan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I have fished with Club Grand Slam for the past 2 years and plan on returning next Spring. G reg and Lupita run the best, most authentic and most rewarding Caribbean fishing operation I have experienced. I have fished all over the Caribbean and Florida. Punta Allen is one of the few places where a fly fisherman has a reasonable shot at a Super Slam (Tarpon, Bone, Permit and Snook) in only a few days time. The guides are excellent and the accommodations (and food!) are top notch. This is by far the best value package for the dedicated saltwater fly enthusiast. Highly recommended! Book early! Jon Cole

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are great.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

My girlfriend and I travelled around Mexico and Guatemala for 8 weeks. As part of our trip we stayed at Club Grand Slam for 4 nights and 3 days of fishing in early July. As far as our hosts Greg and Lupita could remember, we were the first Australians who had stayed at Club Grand Slam.

We had excellent weather all days and great fishing. After a delicious breakfast prepared by Lupita, I waded for bonefish in the shallows with Jesus while Kristen fished for barracuda and bonefish (and snorkelled) from the boat with Francisco, who is extremely patient and welcoming and a truly excellent guide. We could get used to this.

We also spent one day in the mangroves fishing for “baby” tarpon......as a trout fisherman, they didn’t look like babies to me. On the last day Francisco and Jesus put me onto some permit but I wasn’t up to the challenge – next time.

We had margaritas on our return from fishing each night and Lupita weaved her magic in her kitchen – ceviches, tamales, fish and beautiful desserts. I have now just about lost the 6 kilos I put on during our trip (not all at Club Grand Slam of course)!

We slept well in our simple, very clean and airconditioned room. Being in remote Punta Allen, Greg and Lupita need to be very resourceful to provide the creature comforts – they are, and nothing is too much trouble for them.

We haven't stopped talking about our time at Club Grand Slam. It was really special and was the highlight of our entire trip. After day 1 of fishing, my girlfriend contemplating extending our time at Club Grand Slam really says it all. We can’t wait to go back – if only we lived closer!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Where to begin? I have so many good things to say about Club Grand Slam.
Fishing:
I spend at least 60 days fly fishing in saltwater a year, 20 of those outside of Texas. I have fished all sides of the Yucatan at various lodges. I can, with the clearest conscious, recommend this fishery to anybody. Ascension Bay needs little introduction, it has long been known as one of the best places on earth for a person to catch bonefish, permit, and tarpon in a single day. What is special about Club Grand Slam is both its location in the bay system and its guides. Club Grand Slam is in Punta Allen, the southernmost extension of the peninsula/barrier island that defines Ascension bay. That means that when you step on your skiff (maybe 80 yards from your door) you are ALREADY in the middle of the bay, unlike northern lodges. The southern edge of the bay is furthest from the bulk of the lodges, and just like every other fishery, the further you get from the docks the better the fishing. Club Grand Slam positions you at least an hours boat drive closer to those remote reaches than other lodges up the peninsula. And the guides are excellent. Perhaps owing to their equity in the guiding co-op, I found the guides to not only have the expertise you would expect, but also an uncommon drive to go the distance and put on a good day. I couldn’t have been happier with the fishing. (We did catch bonefish, tarpon, and permit – better juvenile tarpon fishing than I have had in Campeche)
The Lodge:
Greg and Lupita are true hosts. I never got within 20 yards of the place without being greeted and offered a drink or food. Greg sat and talked with us throughout our stay, a refreshing change to the typical “set and forget” mindset at many lodges. Lupita’s food is absolutely genuine and delicious. The lodge could certainly be described as “basic”, but with hot water and 24 hour power it’s far better than I would be willing to endure for the fishing and the company. It is utterly clean and comfortable; I traveled with my girlfriend and never heard a complaint.

Other Thoughts:
I realize many anglers from the northern US like to travel to Caribbean fisheries in the winter as both a respite from the cold, and to avoid hurricanes. I have always benefited from this as a Texan since I don’t mind the heat, and I have often had lodges in the summer to myself. However, consider that cold fronts in the winter are a far more common occurrence than hurricanes in the summer, and their strong northern winds are no less unfishable. Also, take my word for it that the fish don’t disappear all summer. They may not tail as hard or as long, but we were there over Labor Day and the place was lousy with fish. Consider taking advantage of the lower fishing pressure of summer. Also, my girlfriend and I had a really nice snorkel on a reef near the lodge. I would recommend including it in your trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard G
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We flew into Cancun for a wedding, then switched gears for a great adventure! Capt Greg Rahe has a great thing going: great fly fishing guides, wife & Chef Lupita's fresh cuisine & new lodge with a/c in the remote village of Punta Allen. While my husband fished for 2 days Greg set up an Eco tour for our 13 year old son and I to see dolphins, sea turtles and birds, then we snorkeled and swam. Picnic lunch was included! We relaxed on the small beach and toured the little town, then joined up with hubby to hear his great fishing stories while enjoying amazing dinners of fresh fish and Lupitas Shrimp Cevich, which I now make regularly now for friends in Okla! Oh yea...my fly fishing husband had two days fishing with two guides on his boat catching Bonefish, jack, hunting tarpon, barracuda...a dream come true of his since he became addicted to fly fishing over 20 hrs ago.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Great trip. Lodge first class. Guides excellent, fishing even better. Catered to our every request. I would go back just for the food. Great bone fish plus 70+ pound tarpon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Susan C
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

Never having fly fished, I was a little apprehensive, but my fears were quickly dispelled with the warm hospitality of Greg, Lupita and Maria. While all of the guides were friendly and knowledgeable, I had the privilege of being guided by Francisco the entire week. He was very patient and I learned a lot..even caught some fish! Besides fishing, the incredible scenery of the mangroves and flats, the excursions to some of the Mayan ruins and Lupita’s great food made the trip most enjoyable. After fishing, it was so relaxing to sit out on the veranda with the cool breeze, drinking a margarita and enjoying an appetizer before dinner. I would highly recommend Club Grand Slam, particularly for anyone interested in learning to fly fish.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy194
Brookings, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

A friend and I spent six days in early May this year enjoying the fishing and hospitality at CGS. I concur with other reviews here that the food and cordiality of this lodge are truly exceptional. Additionally, the guides are knowledgeable, patient and energetic. The highlights of the week include visiting several Mayan sites, watching manatees and superb birdwatching. We had opportunities to cast to bonefish, snook, permit, tarpon, barracuda, sharks and jacks. The scenery in the mangroves, as well as on the flats, is spectacular, and you never know what you might encounter for birds, turtles, archeological sites and, of course, fish. You will never go to bed hungry here (actually you will never have a chance to be hungry anytime) and the coffee in the morning is a treat to wake to with the birds and roosters. Tight lines!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sol Caribe
Sol Caribe
#1 of 13 in Punta Allen
GrandSlam Fly Fishing Lodge

Been to Club Grand Slam? Share your experiences!