“Sol Caribe Dec 2010 review -- loved it again !!”
Review of Sol Caribe

Sol Caribe
Rochester, NY
“Sol Caribe Dec 2010 review -- loved it again !!”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

SOL CARIBE: Dec 28, 2010 – Jan 2, 2011 BY: Jackie & Dave

INTRO:
Just to give you some background…… This was the 40th Caribbean/Mexican vacation for my husband & me. We almost always stay at Adults Only, All Inclusive resorts, but this was our 3rd stay at Sol Caribe (& the 1st since it’s been renovated).
We have stayed at Sol Caribe: Dec 2008, Dec 2009 & Dec 2010.

RIDE TO SOL CARIBE:
We rented a Jeep Unlimited from Avis at the airport. The total driving time one way from CUN to Sol Caribe was 3.5 hours (1.5 hrs to Tulum, then 2.0 more hrs to Sol Caribe). The road wasn’t too bad until you got about 10 minutes past the Boca Paila bridge; then there were TONS of potholes all over the road. We arrived at Sol Caribe on a Tuesday evening & left on a Sunday morning. The ride back up to Tulum on that Sunday only took us about 1.5 hours (husband threw caution to the wind !! HA !!).

ENTRY to SOL CARIBE:
There is now a tall wooden fence along the road in front of Sol Caribe. The stone Sol Caribe sign is still there.

Parking is now along either side of the driveway, before you get up to the buildings, keeping the beach/cabanas free of cars.

There is now an actual lobby/reception area. They have Sol Caribe t-shirts & caps for sale.

ELECTRICTY:
There is 24 hour, solar powered electricity at Sol Caribe. But……you can no longer use your hair dryer here. Luckily it was pretty windy that week, so my long hair dried w/in a few hours or so. This was 1 of only 2 negatives for me.

CABANAS:
Previously, there were 4 separate cabanas at Sol Caribe. Now there are 2 separate cabanas, and one hotel-like building that houses 5 suites (3 on the 1st floor & 2 upstairs). The Beach Cabana is in the same spot as the old Beach Cabana. And, the Jungle Cabana is in the same spot as the previous cabana that sat back there by itself, but is now 2 stories. The 5 suites are now in the same location that used to house those 2 parallel cabanas that shared the breezeway.

We were in the bottom left suite. We had 2 double beds, 4 nightstands, a small table & 2 wooden chairs & a “wardrobe” closet w/ a safe (w/ a key, not electronic) in our cabana. The front, end & back walls had lots of wooden shutters w/ screens behind them to keep out the bugs. The breeze that flowed across the room, kept the room pretty cool. There was also a ceiling fan, which we never even turned on (pretty cool temps in December). The new beds were a welcome change & really comfy.

The bathroom had dual sinks w/ a nice tropical wood counter, a nice, new toilet, and a HUGE stone shower area. Nice strong water pressure in the shower. The whole back wall, above the shower, sinks & toilet had shuttered windows which we kept open for nice air flow. But, here was negative #2 for me: you cannot flush toilet paper anymore.

The patio was one long patio across the 3 bottom suites. It had a table & 2 chairs in front of each suite. And, a very nice view of the ocean & palm trees & foliage !!

The 2 upstairs suites each have 1 king bed & 1 single bed.

The new suites & cabanas are really spacious so you should never feel crowded in your room now.

RESTAURANT:
The restaurant has been totally renovated as well. A new kitchen has been built along the back of the restaurant, w/ full size appliances. There is also a new bar. There is all new furniture (tables/chairs) w/ many smaller square tables. The front wall of windows is still there, offering that fantastic view of the ocean & beach.

FOOD:
All the food we ate there was very good to excellent !! Mauricio & Liberato (who has been there since Michael started Sol Caribe in 1994) cooked our breakfast & lunch pretty much when we asked for it, within certain hours (breakfast maybe about 7:30-10AM & lunch 12-3PM…roughly). Dinner now is also within a certain time range (6-9PM ish) & no more family-style (w/ everyone eating together at the same table).

We had about 3 choices for lunch & about 3 choices for dinner every day. I’m a rather fussy eater & didn’t always like the exact menu items, so Mauricio was very accommodating for my fussy tastes.

Breakfast: They have an actual menu for breakfast now. Fresh fruit plate, eggs (fried, scrambled, omlettes, Mexican). The make the most delicious homemade bread; we couldn’t get enough of it !!

Lunch: As I mentioned above, there are about 3 choices for lunch each day (chicken, beef, fish prepared different ways). I special ordered quesadillas most days.

Dinner: Same idea for dinner’s 3 choices (chicken, beef, fish), always prepared very well. The broccoli soup we had was delicious. Salads were very fresh. Nice presentation for all the meals too.

We did the All Inclusive package, so I don’t know the prices of any of the drinks or food.

DRINKS:
Bottled water, bottled beer (Sol, Dos Equis, Negra Modelo), pop (Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Tonic Water), wine (red or white – we never had any, so I don’t know the specifics), mixed/frozen drinks. I do have to say that we missed Michael’s homemade Piña Coladas, as they were absolutely delicious !!

BEACH:
The beach at Sol Caribe is just gorgeous !! White sand & turquoise blue water. You can walk forever in each direction & not encounter another soul. Sol Caribe’s beach is raked clean every day, but you will encounter some seaweed & garbage if you walk up & down the beach away from Sol Caribe.

SUMMARY:
To wrap things up here, we just love the whole Sol Caribe experience & can’t wait for another return trip !!

Old vs. new Sol Caribe: the renovations are gorgeous, and have brought a bit of luxury to Sol Caribe. We do miss some of the charm & rustic feeling from Michael’s Sol Caribe, but, alas, everything changes and these new changes were very nicely done !! You still have the same, amazing tropical feeling, great food, isolation & that incredible beach, so, luckily, some things haven’t changed.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
6 Thank JackieMRP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 5, 2011

My six nights at Sol Caribe were fantastic. Mauricio and Yvonne were great hosts and made our stay so comfortable and enjoyable -- the food was tasty, the conversations were pleasant, the rooms spacious and clean, the cocktails refreshing, and the views stunning. Lee, Ruben, and Lupita always greeted me with a smile and went out of their way to make my stay at Sol Caribe comfortable and relaxing. When the airlines lost my bag, Yvonne was on the phone immediately doing whatever she could to make sure it arrived quickly. She came through. Mauricio prepared the food and every meal, without fail, was incredible -- homemade pasta, Argentinian beef, sea food, fresh juices and fruit, homemade bread, and endless guacamole made the dining at Sol Caribe so very memorable. Yvonne's homemade jams and desserts were a perfect way to start and finish my Caribbean days. I have no idea what Sol Caribe is paying Mauricio and Yvonne to manage this incredible place, but they deserve raises for how hard they work to make sure their guests have wonderful vacations. I hope to get back to Sol Caribe again soon.

Grazie mille to Mauricio and Yvonne and their wonderful staff.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jwk75
Park City, Utah
Reviewed June 1, 2011

If I only knew where to start about this unique vacation i just returned from in the great and safe region of Q.Roo....as I can only hope and dream for the experience gained and of new acquaintances forged to truly never end. Not only was the property of Sol Caribe far above my expectaions from a small, quaint fishing village I have been visiting for nearly fifteen plus years flyfishing my dreams away . But the hosts of this resort certainly made it one of the more unforgettable and enjoyable experiences anyone...I truly mean anyone can ask for in such a setting.
A freshwater guide and business owner of Reeltours llc in the great mountains of Utah since 1997, I have been hosting flyfishing trips worldwide annually for many of my most important clients who wish to broaden their horizons on such a wonderful sport. Many times a day on the water is made for me as I see certain experiences that are far above any picture I can capture...any words I can explain. It is from these unique experiences that many of us gather with a fly-rod in hand that we take such wonderful journeys with friends and family we will never forget in a lifetime. It is these fond memories nobody can ever take away,lose,or deny. And one thing i will promise you....the time at Sol caribe will never be forgotten...In fact, it will only be a matter of time until I add to them on a hopeful return vacation....Fishing or no Fishing!!
It all comes together because of the wonderful hosts of this resort Yvonne and Mauricio (not forgetting their TWO young beautiful princess daughters in the mix). Definitely to also mention the wonderful staff of Liberato, Lupita,and Ruben in no descending order. They are a team, and a wonderful one at that!! Yvonne has got to be one of the most receptive and truly great communicators of the operations in the area. As with most anything in life...You need a great woman to make sure things run as smooth as silk, from beginning to end. And thats just because I know us men. Her communication skills are unparalelled, along with her sweet attitude and hard work ethic. I could write pages on them all, but she handles the stuff that make it all happen like it does.
Mauricio her husband and his wonderful kitchen staff are much more than they appear....but I can only tell you I see and taste his passion in the kitchen...and of course the flyrod. Not to mention that his kitchen holds a rod for quick site fishing of cruising bruisers when he wishes (or you) to make the run ...God what more can I ask for as a guest and wishful thinker. Every meal and conversation with Mauricio will only validate why Sol Caribe is what it is. Genuine, passionate, nice people...willing to do truly whatever to make my vacation something l and others wanted to repeat the second we left the gates. Much more than the average trips i seem to experience worldwide.
The fishing aside (but the reason I was there) , was truly fantastic. The guides were great (Augustine,Manuel, and Alejandro) and knowledgeable as always. Hard workers, that love and want you to love what you are there to accomplish. Ascension bay has got to be one of my favorite places to fish in the caribbean....the grand slam capital of the world in the palm of your hand.
The property again is unmatched in the area. Newly renovated (and finely at that) suites make any non-fishing guest more than comfortable. All of my clients and friends could not wait to tell their wives. In fact, after seeing the resorts based in punta allen proper, they wanted to take pictures of those just so their wives would not be as mad at them for staying in such a nice place. it was a running joke...but the joke is Yvonne and Mauricio know how to cater to everyone whether fishing or not. Take a drive a couple km into town and laugh at the guys paying for high overpriced operations like the palometa club, pesca maya, abbc, ect... As for most of them anyway ( not all for sure), their kind of fishermen need to fill places like that anyway.... Like a fine friend once said "id like to buy people like them for what they are worth, and sell them for what they think they are worth...Id be a rich man". And Id actually be laughing with my money in hand all the way back to Sol Caribe as quick as anywhere. What a great value for your money compared to all the other operations down there if quality is a concern. Ive had a great time in many of them over the years down in P.A....but this rated 5 stars all the way! Top Notch! Without the attitude,and I do mean attitude of many other operations....But the amentities that you just cant have for the value. Something that smart business people come to understand quickly. Value for the dollar will bring people back...Always!!!! And best wishes for future growth and success in many more ways than money can bring to all that made it so memorable.
With much more having to be said, and many pictures to come from friends/clients who I know cant keep quiet about this place. I will leave it at that to just say thanks again for an unbelievable time....and one I hope to soon repeat. Great property with even better people. This has been by far one of the most receptive trips from my traveling groups I have ever received.. And after always being suspect in a change of operations making such a difference.....This was a definite UPGRADE from the old resort. I hope to give a true small picture for a reason as to why Sol Caribe will be in my future plans vacationing in the beautiful hopefully always protected Biosphere!!! I know this was my first time but not my last time bringing and trusting you guys with business clients, friends, and not least of all family in the future.
Aaron Adams
Reeltours llc

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank seasonedtraveler111
solcaribe1, General Manager at Sol Caribe, responded to this review, June 7, 2011
What a fantastic review, thank you so much. I had a great time working with you and meeting your friends and family. It was a beautiful week and lots of wonderful memories were made. We have an amazing staff and they all take pride in their work. I'm happy to pass this review to them. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, Sincerely Yvonne Riba, Manager, Sol Caribe
Wetumpka, Alabama
Reviewed May 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Sol Caribe for 2 nights and wished that we could have stayed longer. The road to Sol Caribe was less than desirable with the last 15 km being the worst. Be sure you rent a Jeep and plan on taking 2 hours from the arch just outside of Tulum to arrive there. Once there, you quickly forget about the bumpy, slow ride and realize that you have arrived in paradise.

Check-in with Yvonne was a breeze and she quickly called for someone to help with our luggage as she showed us to our room. We stayed in the Southern Loft suite and were blown away with the size and beauty of the room. The pictures on their website do not do this place justice. We quickly changed into swimsuits and headed down to the restaurant where we met Liberato who fixed us some fresh guacamole with ice cold drinks. We spent the rest of the afternoon lounging in the hammocks until it was time to change for dinner. That night we met Yvonne's husband Mauricio who fixed us a magnificent dinner of salad and lobster capelletini (which I had requested before arrival) followed by crepes and coconut ice cream for dessert. Later we sat on our private balcony and watched the moon before returning to our room for the night. It was so peaceful listening to the sounds of the ocean as we slept with all the doors and windows open.

The next day we ate breakfast and then headed for a palapa on the beach. The beach here is amazing! They rake all the sea grass every morning on the property and keep it really clean. After a lunch consisting of a shrimp appetizer followed by grouper in a mango sauce and fish tacos, we took a stroll down the path across the street to the lagoon. It's an interesting walk with lots of crabs finally opening up to a calm lagoon. Don't try to go swimming though because there are crocodiles! We returned to the beach and took a stroll to the North leading to a point jutting out into the ocean. While peaceful because there was literally no one around but us it was disappointing due to all of the trash that washes up out of the ocean. We decided to return to the property to enjoy the crystal clear water and clean beach. That night I asked Mauricio what was for dinner and his response was "what do you want?". He gave us a list of options but I chose to have him make a shrimp pasta for me which he happily did. My husband had steak and we were both very pleased with our dinners. For dessert we had panna cotta and crepes again. The food is truly outstanding and it's like having your own personal chef. As long as they have the ingredients, Mauricio is more than happy to make whatever you want.

After breakfast the next day, we hesitantly checked out not looking forward to the bumpy drive again. Our only regret is that we did not plan a longer stay at Sol Caribe. The beauty of the property, friendly staff, and outstanding food makes this place one of the best places we have ever visited. We will definitely be going back the next time we go to Mexico!

Some things that you may want to keep in mind: there is no air conditioning but there is a good constant breeze, don't plan on using a hairdryer because it will trip the circuit breaker (they are eco friendly and rely on solar panels for electricity 24 hours a day), bring mosquito repellent (we only had a slight problem the second night during dinner - the rest of the time we were okay), and be sure you really like the person you are going with as there are no distractions such as TVs (this makes it really romantic though and allows for quality time).

Room Tip: The Southern Loft suite has a private balcony.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Sol Caribe with others. I’m very happy that you liked the Lobster Capelletini which were made especially for you ! I will have to agree that the southern Loft Suite is my favorite room as well. It has a beautiful view from the balcony. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you will choose us again for your next visit. We look forward to having you back, the Loft Suite can easily accommodate a small family. Best wishes, Yvonne Riba, Manager Sol Caribe
Munich, Germany
Reviewed April 7, 2011

We drove on the peninsula towards Punta Allen to escape Cancun tourist-masses when we hit Sol Caribe. We found what we were looking for and much more. This place is unique!
Highlights (among many others):
The directors Yvonne and Mauri + staff
Great apartments
Very clean
Best beach nearby
THE FOOD
the jungle
Snorkeling directly in front of the beach
2 hours bumpy road from Tulum
Downsides:
2 hours bumpy road from Tulum (see highlights)
Flying scorpions ;)

All the best to Yvonne, Mauri and family!
Vale, Cran, Dominik and Fini

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Glad to see so many enjoyed Sol Caribe so far this year! But yes, sad to see it discovered, in a way! We’d heard about it from friends that spent time there about six years ago and were expecting rustic accommodations in the middle of nowhere…which would have been fine with us. But upon arrival after a long, slow drive down the rugged road (also fine with us), we found not only special hosts Yvonne and Mauricio, supreme meals by Mauricio, and wonderful staff including Antonio… but also an absolutely luxurious seaside cabana! Apparently the resort was renovated in 2010 and a fine, tasteful renovation it was. Truly a special, private getaway from which to base exploration of pieces of the sea in the Sian Ka’an Biosphere.

We took an eco-tour with Augustine through the laguna and around Punta Allen and found birds, tortugas (sea turtles), rays, the croc, plenty of fish, and a mama and baby dolphin who played with the boat for quite a while. He took us to a great snorkeling spot off the point. Mauricio was right; my only regret (other than not staying longer…) was not hiring Augustine for a fly-fishing trip!

The only sad thing was the amount of plastic that washes up on the beach beyond the resort that the Biosphere people can’t keep up with. I’ll use even less plastic now than I did previously. Reduce, reuse, recycle, people! The resort staff did a wonderful job of keeping Sol Caribe's beach clean and beautiful.

And the surf off of our deck was a constant source of peace. We took long walks up and down beach and snorkeled plenty, playing in the currents. I saw…but couldn’t catch…bonefish and tarpon to the north, in the crook of what I believe was Punta Conoco. I also tried fly-fishing for needlefish in the lagoon; the mangroves down the path across the road are full of life.

Mauricio’s meals were honestly among the best we’ve ever had. Sure, the atmosphere helped, but his fresh ceviche, grouper, pasta and breads were phenomenal. We only allowed ourselves one of Yvonne’s desserts, but it was also amazing! Thanks to all at Sol Caribe for an excellent vacation…

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
solcaribe1, Manager at Sol Caribe, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing Sol Caribe for your vacation. We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and I will let Agostin know how much you liked the Ecotour. I'll be passing on your wonderful compliments to all our staff, they are working hard to make our guests happy. Thank you again for your stay and your nice review, we truly appreciate it!
All the best, Yvonne & Sol Caribe team.
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed February 16, 2011

My husband and I recently spent two nights at Sol Caribe and were absolutely delighted with our stay. Sol Caribe has that rare combination of exquisite natural beauty, simple but classy accommodations, wonderful food, and incredible service. Innkeepers Yvonne and Marisio provide amazing hospitality; by the time we left we felt like we had just visited old friends. Their staff - Liberato, Lupita, and others - were great also.

The road to Sol Caribe is long and bumpy, but you will be rewarded with a terrific experience when you arrive. May I suggest the fresh ceviche with a couple or three cold cervezas? Just do it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachlover2487
solcaribe1, Manager at Sol Caribe, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Dear guest, we would like to express you our grateful thanks you found the time to writing the review and posting on tripadvisor. Each new review is the step ahead to improve our facilities and services. With best regards, hoping to welcome you back one day, Yvonne & Sol Caribe team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Allen
Alaya Tulum
Alaya Tulum
#3 of 95 in Tulum
El Pez Colibri Boutique Hotel

Been to Sol Caribe? Share your experiences!