Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport
  • Bar/Lounge
Average 3/5
  • Breakfast included
Good 3.5/5
Greendown Inn Hotel(Saint Georges-super-Ely)
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Very Good 4/5
All reviewscardiff airportan early flightstayed herewake up callshuttle servicecar parkingcontinental breakfastan overnight staybeansthe hotel is cleanleave your carbudget hotelthe ground floorfollowing morningbar areaevening mealgood nights sleep
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed here for one night, and have to say for what we paid £49.95 for a double room it was pretty good. Initially, due to an error on my part we were given a room with disabled access. It did not suit us, as neither of us are disabled. When I went to see the receptionist to explain and request another room, she was more than helpful, and gave us a different room along the corridor. It was more than adequate for the money we paid. Very clean, bright, good bathroom, TV, tea and coffee and a comfortable bed. So we were very happy with what we had. We found the staff to be friendly enough too, we had no complaints in this area either.
Sat in the bar area in the evening and had a couple of drinks and a meal. No it's not gourmet cooking, but it was quite nice, and averaged about £8.95 per meal. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs and sausages, breads, cakes, cereal, fruit and yogurt, juices and tea and coffee. Again more than adequate for the price we had paid. We have stayed here often as it is so convenient for the airport, and for an extra fee you can leave your car here for the week if you want. We will stay again for this very reason, and can recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on tripadvisor. It's always nice to receive positive feedback and I am very glad you have again enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to thank you for your loyality and that we are your hotel of choice when you come to the area. Please be assured that I will share your comments with the whole team and we are looking forward to welcome you back in the future. The whole team would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were flying from Cardiff Airport the next morning. We got here by public transport - took the train to Rhoose Railway Station then the connecting bus (which meets the train) to the airport. Once at the airport we called the hotel on my mobile and they came over and picked us up.

The guy who checked us in (who I think was called Carl) was delightful. He was keen to make sure we felt welcome and comfortable and was forthcoming with loads of information. I would not refer to any other member of staff we encountered as delightful, in fact they all wondered around looking miserable and displaying the minimum of courtesy possible.

The room was adequate and we slept well. Food was uninspiring and overpriced.

The bus to the airport in the morning only runs hourly, with 6 seats per journey, and needs to be pre-booked the night before. 5 minute journey, if that. I would stay at the hotel again but only in relation to an early/late flight at Cardiff Airport. The misery of the majority of the staff here would put me off returning otherwise.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments here on Tripadvisor. Would it be possible to get in touch with myself to let me know when excactly you have stayed with us so I can investigate who has been on shift? My e-mail adress is: deputy@exhicardiffairport.co,uk. I am glad that you have brought to our attention that some of the members of staff have not been as pleasant as they are suppose to be and it is very important for me to find out who these members of staff were to ensure that if you are staying with us again that you will receive the service you should get.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Half of the breakfast items were not available on either morning I was unfortuanate enough to be staying here. Perhaps a blessing in disguise as the ones available were cold and stale. If you have children expect to be treated with contempt by some members of staff who don't particularly want to be bothered to serve you. Customer service at the hotel is non existent. Overall this hotel makes a 1 star seem plush.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Hart1304
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Dear Hart1304,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry to hear that the service you received was unacceptable. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed here last weekend of November for one night with my Family. We booked this hotel about 8 weeks in advance and got a great price if you book closer to the time you need the price may increase. We were meeting other family members in Cardiff this was the closest hotel we could get as Wales were playing New Zealand at rugby that day even by booking so far in advance we could not get any closer than this hotel. It is not the first time we have used this hotel as my wife had stayed here before when visiting relatives (no review) and thought it was good then so our second visit has prompted a proper review.
Rooms good to this hotels standard and bathrooms perfect for what you need, beds comfy and a reasonable amount of space taking into account my daughter(12) was with us in a sofabed this to ok. Bar area really good spacious tv etc .Breakfast a little bit of a let down no bacon but it was not the worst breakfast we have had and I would be sure you would find something to satisfy most appetites.
Now for the really good bit we needed to get back into Cardiff in the evening this hotel provides a complimentary shuttle bus into town you have to book but I think this was a splendid idea the driver drops near central station. So all in all this hotel is a bit out of the way for Cardiff city centre great for the airport plenty of parking, but much cheaper than a city centre hotel and good for this chain of hotels .Recommended

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay at Holiday inn express Cardiff airport here on tripadvisor. First of all i would like to thank you for your loyalty and would like to impress that i am very glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I am happy that all the facilites were to your liking and that you appreicated the extra service with the complimentary shuttle bus in to town. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Excellent value for Holiday Inn Express. Standard room, very clean and basic. No outside noise. Bus to airport runs only every hour so walked which was only 10 minutes but if going on holiday would not be handy for transfer. NO WI-FI! Not even available in public areas! Although it is reasonably priced to purchase. Menu chose for dinner basic but ok. Breakfast, plenty available. Some staff pleasant but cannot say all of them were.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Exp... M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Avril,

Thank you very much for your comments. I am glad you have found our room clean and that you found us to be excellent value for money. We do use the complimentary airport bus for hourly transfers but we certainly can organize different time slots if you do need to be at the airport at a specifice time. We do offer a 30min free internet access in the whole bulding per stay which is normally appreciated by our guests I am not sure if you have been informed about that while you were staying with us. It would be great if you could get in touch with me if you can point out whiuch member of staff has not been pleasant. Please get in touch under deputy@exhicardiffairport.co.uk. Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.