All reviews exhibition centre needs attention buffet style car parking is nice hotel per night ferry terminal novotel metro stopover spain access bilbao
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

We’ve stayed 5 nights in the hotel at the end of August. The first impression was quite poor. What I’ve noticed first was the floor of the room which seems quite dirty looking, especially since it has dark spots that look like old cigarette burns.
The bed is a step away from the bathroom sliding door, which was hard to close fully and so the person sleeping on that side is faced with whatever odors might come from the bathroom. Also, the shower cabin looks old and gives off feeling of poor cleanliness. It also gets clogged quickly as does the sink.
We’ve complained about it at the desk and were told it would be looked at but nothing was solved. We’ve had 6 days of seeing the post-tooth brushing spit floating around while the sink slowly drained-disgusting!
After the 4th day wanted to call the reception desk at 12am to ask for toilet paper which was at its minimum and was not replaced, but the phone wasn’t working. I had to go down in the middle of the night to ask for a roll of paper.
Also, there is no proper closet for clothes, just 2 drawers and a small rack between the door and a wall.
Hotel definitely needs a reformation- to get modernized and refreshed.
All in all, we won’t stay here again.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2018

We travel frequently with our children (6&3) and have had many experiences of 3-5 stars hotels all over Europe and Asia. There were various problems at hotels from time to time but I never really bother to leave bad reviews. However this time I found it very upsetting therefore here I am.

Upon checking in all seemed great. The hotel looked nice (though car park was very hard to find and charged at 13euro/24h) and the family room we booked was spacious. As we've been travelling in Spain during the heatwave, we've decided to stay in the hotel for the last half day of our holiday before getting on the ferry back to the UK. Soon after checking in my husband took the kids to swimming pool, upon arrival he could not find where to borrow the towels. There was in fact a staff sitting by the side of the pool but she was on her phone and chatting to someone, didn't even look up (so my husband thought she was a guest). He went back to the main reception with the kids and was told they had no towels, he needed to get the towels by the poolside. He went back again and ask a bar staff for help, unfortunately she didn't speak English. The pool staff again did not care to come over to help. It took him (and our 2 kids) more than 15mins in 35C weather trying to find towels. Finally the bar staff took him to the pool staff and he managed to get towels. It was a bad start for such a simple thing. However it only got worse when I joined them 20 mins later.

I got to the poolside and after hearing my husband's ordeal, I decided to get him a beer and the kids some water from the very nice & cosy looking poolside bar. I went to order in my swimming suit, as I saw there was a sign banning food and drink by the poolside, I asked to be served standing by a barrel next to the fence separating the bar and the pool. As my husband and kids came over to have some quick sip of beer and water, this time the pool staff was quick to come over and told them they were not allow to go over the bar area (which is just the other side of the fence) wet and not properly dressed. I explained that they were not sitting anywhere (if the concern was to make the bar seating wet), just to have some beer and water then go back to the pool. She said the rule was there and it was not her problem. I asked how I was able to buy drinks at the bar in my swimming suit without being informed that we could not have them either by the poolside nor in the bar area. She said it was not her problem again. The bar staff spoke no English and was more concerned that I could not sign for the drink than anything else (I left my card details at check in so they could charge me for any extras, there was no reason she couldn't charge me for it). At this point I had to deal with the bar staff chasing me for payment (I didn't have my purse at poolside as I thought I could charge it to the room) and the pool staff telling my family off for stepping out to the bar (it was less than 1 step away between where we were standing and the pool fence) to have a few sips of the drinks. As we were the only guests speaking English (and me possibly the only Oriental faces in the hotel), people were looking at us being humiliated in public (and in swimming suit!!!) and it was very embarrassing.

As the exchange was going nowhere I asked to speak to the manager, who came after 15 mins. The manager spoke good English and I explained what happened. He insisted the rules had to be followed but I felt he understood how this rule made the situation impossible (so basically people cannot enjoy a drink during the time they are in the swimming pool, even children are not allowed to drink water to keep them hydrated in such hot weather) and the whole thing ridiculous. If the hotel don't want people to buy drinks from the bar while not fully dressed (I was in proper swimming suit, not even bikini), the bar staff should not have served me at the beginning. They cannot sell us a drink then forbid us from drinking it. At the end of the conversation the manager just dropped it and said he would let me enjoy the drink, however by this point the beer was warm and our holiday mood had been spoiled. My children were so worried if they came to me to drink water we would be in trouble again. I had to reassure them nothing would happened to make sure they kept hydrated.

After all this the bar staff continued to be on her phone. We saw many people "sitting" and having drinks in the bar area in their swimming suits (bikini, topless etc. clearly wet and not "fully dressed"), the bar staff served them as usual and the pool staff said nothing. Apparently we were the only family being cautioned for having drinks outside the pool area, which added to the bitter taste.

Besides this, the air con in our room didn't work. It was extremely stuffy and hot. The kids had to sleep without their pyjamas. (Apparently the hotel was fully booked and there was nothing they could do)

I thought I'd book a nice hotel with swimming pool as the final treat of our holiday. However it was the worst experience we've ever experienced in a decent 4 star hotel like this. We will probably returned to Spain by ferry next year but I will not choose to stay in this hotel again. I believe with this price tag, there should be other hotels with better customer services in and around Bilbao.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
3  Thank Yvette C
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

Nice hotel! Fantastisch beds, great parking space even with a Thule top box. Two times diner at the hotel; delicious, fast service. Breakfast was included and good. Metro is nearby; at the reception they can give you a small map.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2018

I can't understand the negative criticism as I spent a few nights there from the 6th of July to the 10th 2018. The rooms were very clean, very spacious bathroom area with tub, shower, toilet, bidet & sink. Hairdryer too. A large double (the hotel does NOT do single beds) bed and a sofa bed. It's a large hotel with a basement car park with security gate and barrier(13€ per day extra) 7 floors. 2 lifts. The surrounding area of Barakaldo is really nice. A very large shopping complex with a mall, good old C & A plenty of restaurants and fast food. A HALAL Doner Kebab place 5 mins away. It's 15 minutes (30€ Taxi) from Bilbao airport. 15 minutes Walk from Metro station and Bilbao Exhibition Center. They have a small pool that's open Monday to Friday 9.00am weekends from 10.30am. But we didn't get a chance as we went to the local beaches every day.. again 15 mins to harbor beach town Getxo.. 20 mins to the best surfing beach I've seen Sopelana 's Aarriatere. They have a surf school. A paragliding school and a word of warning for the religious- 1 in 10 women bathe/sunbathe top less if that offends or worries you but you can just ignore that as its a normal thing. But that's the same every beach you go to. The customer service is brilliant. Excellent staff. They all spoke English (Except housekeeping staff) and communication was not a problem I would definitely go there again with my family but not with a group of friends due to the double bed only rooms. Highly recommended. Any queries you can email the hotel directly they are on the web. They respond very quickly unlike the travel agents.

Room Tip: No single beds available at all. Only doubles and double sofa bed
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled with friends
HotelPuertadeBilbao, Director General at Hotel Puerta de Bilbao, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2018

Dear IsmShai,
First of all we woluld like to thank you for our time in sharing your experience with us.
It´s rewarding for us all to read such nice comments, we will share them with the rest of the team.
We really appreciate the opportunity to maintain & improve our services you give us.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in a near future, we remain at your entire disposal.
We wish you a happy summer !!

Roberto Delgado

Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights. Ideal hotel to be near b.e.c centre. Unfortunately not many people could speak English. Found just one person on reception desk that was ok. Rooms basic but clean. Service poor in bar area. Had to push a buzzer to alert someone to serve you. This could take up to 5 minutes or more. The restraunt food was not 4 star but 2. Breakfast cooked meal was greasy bacon like rubber not very good. Price €17 was way to much for what was on offer. Self service as well even with the drinks. Did use swimming pool which was ok. Hotel really to far away from Bilbao to walk. Relied on taxis €15_€20 a trip. There is a metro but have to walk about 15 to 20 minutes away. So really a 2 star hotel at best and food really was poor.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple