“At Home with Angelo and Luciana”

Bed & Breakfast Zaccaria
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I was travelling to Sicily during spring 2012 and had the great pleasure of being pampered by the most extraordinary hospitality of Angelo and his wife Luciana. They immediately greeted me with the greatest warmth, and on my first night, Angelo took me out in the streets to show me around in the centre of Mazara del Vallo. I didnt feel like a paying costumer, more like a daughter who had finally returned to her sicilian family, and the experience continued next day, when the couple drowe me out in the great country side to show me and the other guests a breath taking nature reserve. I am with no doubt going back to my Sicilian 'casa' next time I visit Mazara del Vallo, a city which in it itself is a true gem for visitors. My compliments also to Angelos delicious and very attentive breakfast!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Cecilie078

Reviewed April 5, 2012

This quiet and cool house stands in the very heart of Mazara del Vallo in that fascinating net of alleys and buildings whose history and stories Angelo and Luciana know very well.
Our suggestion is do trust their love and passion for Mazara and your holiday will be different. You will have the opportunity to discover fabulous treasures from nature to food&wine, from art to architecture.
Two generous and fine Italian hosts: this is the main experience you could live if you choose to stay in this B&B.

Practical details:
excellent welcome (Angelo came to pick us up)
clean well-heated silent room and excellent service
extremely rich breakfast: ricotta cheese and chocolate brioches, ham and cheese sandwiches, marmalade ...
wonderful location attached to all the sites and restaurants
great price

We will go back for sure!

Room Tip: The room in the little apartment includes the use of kitchen as well
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Enrico_Laura
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I cannot agree more with all of the previous reviews of this B&B. This B&B and the hosts, Angelo and Luciana are the best you could come across.

We originally booked for 3 days but after we saw the place, we extended for another 3 days as my husband had the flu and we felt that this was good place to relax and get better. We were not wrong.

From the moment Angelo met us at the train station, we had an excellent stay.
Angelo and Luciano are extremely helpful and friendly and just could not do enough for us. They recommended restaurants (amongst them, Alla Kasbah and Drikky's - both are very good), and took us for a passegiata through the town, showing us the wonderful ceramic murals in the city. They are justifiably proud of their city and showed us things that we would not have found ourselves. Mazara has more than what appears on the surface. Angelo was most helpful with train and bus timetables to other places, e.g. Selinunte. When we left Mazara, Angelo even drove us to the bus stop which was a bit out of town. Later, he cycled to the bus stop to bring us something that we had left behind. You cannot beat that for service.

We had the rooftop room which was spacious and relaxing, especially when you could just walk out to the rooftop terrace. By the way, I had always wanted to stay in a place with an internal courtyard in Italy. I got my wish! Staying in a rooftop room was a bonus.

The breakfasts were wonderful. Angelo goes out each morning to bring back fresh bread and pastries. You could have almost anything you wanted.

This was probably our best stay in a B&B in Italy. It was like staying with friends or family. This is how B&Bs ought to be!

I thoroughly recommend a stay in Mazara del Vallo (longer than 2 nights) and B&B Zaccaria.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Louise C
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed at Zaccaria for 4 days in the end of September this year and had a fantastic time. My boyfriend has worked in Sicily for a long time and love Mazara so we decided to try this B&B as he had heard good things about it and since it was recommended by the personnel of his favorite restaurant in the town (Alla Kashba).

I can't stress enough how helpful and pleasant the owners are, they really enjoy making your stay worthwhile. It started with a personal guiding through windy streets to find the B & B that is really in the heart of Mazara and then we saw the cute courtyard, went up to the lovely balcony for a glass of wine with the owners and we really felt we had come to the right place.

The breakfeasts were full of delicious treats, like ricotta and chocolate croissants, local freshly baked bread with dried ham and parmigiano, and especially important for us as two caffeinists was that the coffee was really good. The last morning when we had to leave at 4.30 in the morning to go to the airport they actually got up and made us brekfast even though we had never expected they would.

The room was clean, nicely decorated and quiet and the bathroom was roomy and we never had any problem with hot water or electricity. There was air-conditioning in the room that worked perfectly too. They even agreed to do one machine of laundry for us without asking for anything extra.

One last thing to mention is that they actually helped us when we realized that our car had been scratched or backed into by another car during the night and went with us to a car repair shop to get some information about what it could cost to fix etc. Really went out of their way in other words.

So as you can see, it comes warmly recommended :)

2  Thank TheresiaN
Reviewed November 4, 2011

The owners are wonderfull and the breakfast can't be better.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2011

My husband and I just finished a month of cycling the coast of Sicily, and one of the trip highlights was finding this gem in Mazara del Vallo! We originally planned to stay for one night, but the owners were so welcoming and charming, we decided to stay an extra night. The breakfast was so delicious....wonderful pastries, and the BEST little sandwiches! (Wish I had one now!) Angelo and Luciana make you feel as though their home is yours, spending time to make sure you know all there is to see in their area. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I think they are all good!
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I stayed with my boyfriend 2 nights at this charming B&B in Mazara del Vallo, located in a huge and old house at the city center. The location is just perfect, with free parking space in front of the door (fighting with the TomTom to reach it was something else, Mazara is not precisely an easy city to drive :)

From the first minute Angelo received us with open arms, helped us to take our luggage to the room and made us feel just at home. He gave us all kind of tips about things to visit in the area, which roads to take, beaches, activities, restaurants, ice-cream places, etc. In the evening he took us for a visit around Mazara together with his lovely wife. We walked around the city for more than 1 hour, listening to her great stories about the history and the current situation. It was really amazing to go for such a little tour with them, they gave us the chance to see and get to know things we could have never found out just walking by ourselves. You can see how much they enjoy these moments with their guests, even if they do not speak much English we could perfectly understand each other thanks to their friendliness and enthusiasm.

The breakfasts were just superb, more than we could finish! the ricotta-chocolate croissant was the best one ever, my boyfriend could not stop talking about it during the rest of the trip. For me it was the top of the time in Sicily. We are VERY happy we had the luck to choose them as a hosts, great couple who welcomed us to their house like real family. I strongly recommend to everybody. Thanks a million guys!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the attic room