“Ok”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Portinatx
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Ok”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just had a week here with the family, lovely quiet place no surrounding clubs bars etc, the view was amazing and the sunsets too, our room was right on the top of the complex 127 steps!!! OMG thought I would die walking up and down in the heat, but it was worth it as our room was one of the better ones, new tiles in bathroom lovely big balcony and the view amazing, so put up with the steps and toned the legs!! Some people had awfull rooms we were told they were damp, smelly and like little holes!

Pools - not the cleanist we have been too, the top pool was the cleanest, but people were letting their children eat ice cream etc in the children pool which didnt help, saw them clean the area every day of cups but wash it down a bit more and it would of been better! One pool had hair floating around it too which made it upleasant, think the filter wasn't even working or turned on!!
People grabbed sun lounger before breakfast, not hotel fault but should be a bit stricter as 3 beds had towels on but not used all day!! The loungers were uncomfy and could do with being replaced.

Food - Not the best every day was chips with no other variety of potato, rice and salad which was fine, always a fish dish and meat but not a great choice, Asian night was the best night, always fruit and wine and beer/soft drink help yourself whilst eating, Paella most night with Pizza the odd occassions, you wont starve but very repetative.

Entertainment - MMM!! reptile show the best but always started so late and you couldn't get a table to sit anywhere either.

Rooms - Air con didn't do much, towels changed 3 times, bedding NEVER, asked but it wasnt done, maintenace man came right away to fix air con first day, the water kept running out for some reason, my hubby was half way through shaving and no water!! so he couldnt shower!! cleaner came every day and did a fairly good job but could of been better.

Staff - Older blonde receptionist VERY RUDE, younger one was lovely and the darker haired lady too, night reception man very friendly and hlepfull too. The twins who were everywhere but pool bar were great and went out of their way to help so did all the waiters/waitresses, (our daughter only drinks milk so they always went and got some for her) Lau at the pool bar worked really hard, he should of had help though, he worked with no break all day some days!

All in all if they had more staff, (apprently new owners and no money so staff were laid off recently) cleaned the pools and surrounding pool areas, spent some money on decorating and doing the place up i.e. broken lights in communal areas and general things the place could be amazing.

Portinax a short walk away a bit hilly in places, beaches were litle coves and we taught our youngest to snorkel there, lovely little place, with pedlos, boat hire etc, and some VERY RICH people in their lovely boats! (NOT JEALOUS!!)

The hotel is NOT the best place we have been too and I am glad I only booked one week, I am not fussy but would expect a little bit more than what we got, we met some lovely people, had a good time as your hols are what you make it at the end of the day, had a few vodkas!! and enjoyed Protinax.

We took the little train ride too which was good fun, took us to caves and showed us a bit of the island, went exploring in the woods behind hotel, which was a laugh and the views amazing.

All in all I would NOT go back to this hotel and this is the first time I have felt that way about a holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for top rooms if you can manage all the steps much better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from the worst holiday of my life. This is my first negative review and I rarely moan. To summarise the issues: mould on every wall tile, cheap plastic £4.99 shower head, stench of faeces in room and across resort, no sun loungers - people claim with towels before breakfast and they have no head support or elasticity - you can feel the plastic tubes in your back, kids in all pools despite having adult only pools, one staff member at bar, broken and raised floor tiles in room which were not fixed, towels changed once and taken away because they have no second set and wait a day for them to dry, poor food, shocking room layout and access/egress - families were using tables to barrier off the stairs from the balcony which is the only door - our room had no door as you entered through the balcony doors, dated and unusable facities and most facilities come with an exra charge. Horrible reception staff who are of no help and when I asked to move they said 'no the room is nice and a picture is a picture' when I said the images on the website were misleading. This is a dangerous hotel and I am writing to them as I believe it breaches Spanish safety law.

2 Thank Mr-magz

Travelers are raving about these Portinatx hotels

Derby
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Firstly I would like to say to the people on here saying "if you want 5 star, pay 5 star" to that I do agree, but people understand this is a 3 star when they book it...if you have saved all year to go then it can be very disappointing, that aside...you do expect 3 star standards...of which I don't believe this hotel gets anywhere near to:(
The location of this place is outstanding a 5/10 min walk away from Portinax (although a bit hilly) lined with beautiful views...so to me this was perfect, peaceful...no karaoke from the bar next door or loud drunken people... Total peace and quiet. The views are outstanding...and sunset view amazing
The staff are friendly (apart from one of the receptionists who was just rude) so sweet and cannot do enough for you, I feel for them as they have a hard job on their hands. There is nowhere near enough of them and their resources limited that is one of the reasons for the low standards around the place
Everything is broken!! Sun loungers...umbrellas...showers...light fittings...everything!!!
This place is filthy in the communal areas and plain disgusting..alge and sludge around the pool, fag nubs, cups...stains on the floor from drinks the night before, just horrid and at times a little unbearable...the coffee machine in the bar has never been cleaned since it was put in..never been hygienic. I'm not a fussy person but I've stayed in 18-30's cleaner than this place
By far the worst thing is the food...grey meat...brown salad...uncooked cottage pie and sprouts (who wants that in 35 degree heat) chips that I'm sure were from the day before, I went some days not eating at all as it made me feel a bit ill, I stayed at a 3 star in San Antonio and the food was 100% better...yuk..we had to eat out most of the time
The room in my opinion was fine..basic, maid was lovely...great view, but think we had one of the better ones as heard some of the lower ones have damp
All in all this place is screaming out for and investment!! Please please please if you are reading this and looking for an investment!! This is the place...it could be amazing the location is so unique and staff so loyal it's a crying shame....it really is:(
Portinax is an amazing place, I will be going back, beautiful, quiet, great bars restaurants and not in your face...I unfortunately won't be going back to the Vista Bahia
I hope if a few years I hear it has sorted itself out as it has amazing potential.....

1 Thank louweb
Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a week away at the vista Bahia, I'll start with the positives. I found the views and location very breath taking and the staff work extremely hard with very limited resources. Room we had was fine. I think we got one of the better rooms to be fair. Unfortunately the bad bits out weigh the good, the cleanliness of the overall place is not good, mainly down to amount of staff and the hours they work. Our room was very clean and cleaned everyday. The worst thing about this place is the food, we ate out 5 days out of 7, that is something we did not budget for. Anyone that says don't expect 5 star, for 3 star prices..... We did not expect 5 star and have stayed at many 3 star and 2 star hotels which overall is better than this ....... I just wish someone would invest in this place because it could be 5 star... If you have booked go with an open mind and just try and enjoy.

3 Thank Paul-Davo
Reviewed August 22, 2013

A balance is required , yes there r issues , number of staff is the main prob no restaurant mgr creates its own probs yep the pool needs better cleaning the rooms r basic but how long r u in there ?? The view from the bar is fantastic but bloody hot !! The older receptionist loves saying no .. So b prepared with an amount of investment it could b so much better would I go again ???? Prob yes but it has limits be prepared so make your own mind up JD u want 4 star don't go if u easy go lucky enjoy ????

4 Thank Stevegbag
Norfolk
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Had one week here but had to make the most of it firstly doubled book so had to go to another hotel for 2 days which was lovely! then had to go back to a dump of a place. ,basic rooms ,not that clean ,shower not fixed to wall as broken so had to sit in bath and shower! grubby in and out would not recommend. The people who have rated it excellent obviously have poor standards or their sight is not all that good Worse holiday hotel I have stayed in.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sue M
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

very friendly staff,beautiful area-lots of people complained about food but it was good basic stuff-don't pay 3 star prices and expect 5 star! kind,helpful staff who worked damn hard-note to owner,allow staff a day off,employ more people-fun activities and if you need anything just ask! Staff could not be more helpful

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portinatx
Sandos El Greco Beach Hotel
#1 of 9 in Port de Sant Miguel
La Ciguena
La Ciguena
#5 of 9 in Portinatx

Been to Club Vista Bahia? Share your experiences!