All reviews beach bar lovely hotel outdoor shower sea view suite ideal hotel lavazza coffee machine newly refurbished hotel pillow menu morning yoga lovely interior bathroom arrangement isla del sol voyage prive laid back vibe quiet stay leisurely stroll super comfy bed
Reviewed October 26, 2017 via mobile

This hotel has only been a Barcelo for one season and they had made a lot of efforts to upgrade it. The rooms were comfortable, although lacking storage space and, although they have good sized balconies with a lovely view, in many cases, the only decent seating was to sit on the bed. I thought we were supposed to have a room with a seating area but this was not the case.

Visiting in October there was an offer of an upgrade to half-board available and most of the hotel's occupants seemed to be taking advantage of this. This made the restaurant, which is relatively small and has small tables and chairs very tightly packed in, very crowded. However, apart from one or two occasions when some dishes were not very hot, the food was excellent, both breakfast and dinner. One or two small issues - the coffee machines aren't capable of keeping up with the number of guests and the house red wine is disgusting!

Overall, we had an excellent week in Portinatx and, taking the balance of good and bad, would recommend this. Strong points in its favour include the quaint cove that it is located right next to, the good swimming pool areas with plenty of sun beds (in October - it was still very sunny and not over-crowded) and the excellent pool bar. I am not sure what would happen in "the season" when Ibiza gets very busy, but we were able to get around the island easily in a rented car on the good road network and Portinatx was very quiet with some lovely countryside and coastline nearby. We will certainly consider returning.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sjs1205
Reviewed October 26, 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Barcelo for a week in September with friends.

The hotel is situated in the north of the island in a pretty cove with a cute beach.

You would need a car to get around the island as it isn't close to anywhere, the parking for the hotel is very full and very rocky.

The hotel itself is pretty and modern. Great service on arrival but terrible service prior to arrival with more than 5 emails, FB and Instagram messages ignored.

I had booked a suite with a sea view and requested an upgrade to their deluxe suite should one come available
The room I was shown was beautiful but on low floor and the sea could only be glimpsed passed a large metal roof and a bunch of signs/ flagpoles. Not what I had paid the extra for. I requested to change which was done a few hours later.

The next room had a better view but again nothing like the room shown when I booked. I inquired if à deluxe room had come available and I was told they would get back to me. The second room had a strong smell of damp/ drains.

Later told there were no deluxe rooms available about 30 seconds after hearing them upgrade 3 couples from a tour party (TUI I believe) arriving on a coach.

While I understand that hotels sell out to your companies who push all inclusives on their guests it was quite clear that all the best rooms were prioritised for these package holiday groups, all of whom took over the central suites with the views that were sold to us when booking.

Rooms were excellent when cleaned but weren't cleaned every day. The smell persisted. An air vent fell out of the ceiling with no apology.

The hotel was nice enough but make sure you call them to find out what room you are paying before booking. Very misleading on the website.

We also didn't enjoy the English all inclusive hotel vibe. Not very ibiza.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled with friends
5  Thank Sammie C
Daniel M, GEM at Barcelo Portinatx - Adults only, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2017

Dear Sammie,
Firstly, we would like to thank you for your recent stay at Barceló Portinatx.
We are pretty concerned about your lack of response on our social media and emails sent to us, we should apologize to that. We are surprised that different departments have never get back to you, sorry if there was a mistake or lack of attention, in these cases remember that reception team works 24 hours 7 days a week and you can contact them just dialling number 9 from your room, as per our training, we are skilled to act quickly according to Barceló Hotels and Resorts policy.
Regarding your comments referring our rooms, let us explain what have occurred. Your original booking was made to a Junior Suite Deluxe Sea View which is our higher category apart from those rooms which have jacuzzi on their terraces. During your stay our hot tube rooms have been. We have plans to have more rooms of this class due to the high demand we have had this season.
Every agency has different deals with the hotel, some of them can have complimentary upgrade sometimes, maybe this was the reason you have heard they were upgraded.
As you said, we changed your room as soon as possible. Please accept our most sincere apologies to the inconveniences. If you have had any problem, reception team could have helped you out looking for a solution, always if noticed. We do not make any type of priority or discrimination to any of our visitors, doesn’t matter where you have booked, the only guests who have preference and a more personalized assistance are those ones who make part of our Loyalty Program MyBarceló, check the info on our website, I am sure you will like it, for your next visit in any Barceló Hotel & Resorts you will have the advantages of making part of our big family, it’s really easy to join it.
Another point we need to clarify to do not confuse our future visitors is, the pictures you might find on our website or other booking channels are indicative, as you can imagine, it would be nearly impossible have pictures from all our 134 rooms. However, as you said, by calling the hotel we can clarify any doubt.
We were checking our records and we have it on our files that our receptionist, Lorenzo, has been worried about your health and safety when the air vent fell out, apologizing and even asking if there was something we could do for you, sorry if we could not give you this impression. And our maintenance team went quickly to fix it.
We are also concerned reading your words that your room has not been cleaned every day, our cleaning service is daily, the only reason we do not clean a room is if there is a no disturb sign on your door, for these cases hotel’s procedure is to leave a note underneath your door offering to clean your room the time you ask, sorry if we didn’t act this way in your case and have failed, once more, reception is 24 hours and if noticed, we send someone as quick as possible.
Anyway, by reading your comment, we could see that you have enjoyed our facilities which were decorated with good taste and elegance to offer you a cosy atmosphere. We are oriented to give an excellent service to all of you, following company values and for sure, the human touch, which is our priority.
Barceló Portinatx will be with its doors always open to receive you again.
Warmest regards
Daniel Madeira
Guest Experience Manager

Reviewed October 25, 2017

A Fabulous Holdiay. An all round superb hotel. I found the service and room facilities outstanding. All the small touches, like coffee facilities, selection of pillows, door notices to say when your ready for your room to be cleaned and fridge make a huge difference. Although a little expensive. Both lounge and pool bars close far too early for people on holiday.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Barcelo Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank 228leen
Reviewed October 25, 2017

Fantastic hotel would highly recommend,will return in the future, bit pricey at the bar, food very good nice staff overall really good, nice little beech at the front of the hotel to, like I say only down fall is the bar is pretty expensive

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Barcelo Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Mike C
Reviewed October 23, 2017

I decided I needed a last minute getaway and booked myself in to the Barcelo for a week half board stay by myself.

**Rooms**
I originally booked a superior double room but a faulty flashing light on my balcony kept me awake for two nights and my room was the same level as the pool so offered no privacy whatsoever so I decided to upgrade to a Junior suite and change rooms. Both rooms were spacious but the Junior Suite was something else. Definitely worth paying an extra €15 a night for. Considering this hotel was built in the 1970s it's been really well renovated into a modern luxury hotel. The beds are massive and really comfortable.

**Food / Dining**
Dining alone is never that fun and in an adults only hotel like this you get an older crowd of couples. I definitely felt like the weird solo girl eating alone every night. Next time I go away by myself I'll be only doing B&B as spending 7 nights eating in the same restaurant alone is slightly soul destroying. The breakfasts are okay - if you can eat bread and pastries there's plenty of choice. I managed okay with my gluten free needs - they did do gluten free bread but I'm not a huge bread eater these days so didn't ask for it. The meat choices for breakfast were a little unpleasant - overcooked hard bacon and weird looking sausages. I tended to stick to veggie.

Dinner was also good quality but got a little repetitive. Duck, beef and some paella were always on offer. Lots of cheese and meats - and desserts which I couldn't eat but looked very nice.

**Location**
Portinatx is a pretty remote town. The hotel is at the ar*e end of nowhere / end of the road so you really do need a car if you're staying here. Best to just hire one at the airport and drive to the hotel than pay €50-60 euros for a taxi. Free parking is available just next to the hotel.

There's a cool beach bar for sundowners on and a good view of the sunset opposite if you climb the rocks near the hotel. I also took a walk to the lighthouse (a little hairy in places) but some great views along the way.

The three main beaches in Portinatx are beautiful and great for snorkelling and swimming.

**Entertainment**
The first day I was there I was tortured with a mellow jazz saxophonist by the pool for two hours. Not my bag at all as all I wanted to do was sleep but other people enjoyed it. There's no other entertainment at the hotel in the evenings and not much of an atmosphere in the bar or restaurant. There's only two English channels I could find on the tvs in the room. I downloaded some boxsets to my iPad from Netflix and watched those instead.

**Facilities**
What lets this place down is the lack of a GYM. Apparently it will be built over the winter in time for 2018 season. I didn't go in the pool as it wasn't warm enough but it's very clean and chilled. They have a spa which I didn't use as it's outside and it wasn't quite warm enough for me.

Overall, it's a lovely hotel. Great for couples. I don't think it was quite right for me for my solo stay but that's more to do with some other factors than the hotel's fault. The staff were all very polite and helpful too.

Room Tip: Junior suite is worth paying extra for - better location and lots more space for two people
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled solo