“Don't know”

The Balvenie Distillery
Ranked #3 of 13 things to do in Dufftown
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

35 £ for that? at the guide was written 25£ .We where 9, 8 of them didn't have seen a Distillery before. At the end it was not possible to buy a special bottle like "the Rose" or a "Tun 1401" (they don't have this anymore). In my eyes not realy special.

There are newer reviews for The Balvenie Distillery

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We had read online that the Balvenie tour is one of the more extensive distillery tours, and they were right. This was our fifth distillery tour, and we could definitely tell the difference in the amount that we were able to see. The guide was very welcoming and took time to answer any questions posed. I also enjoyed that there was a cooperage component to the tour as I find that work fascinating. The group was given the chance to bottle their own scotch directly from the casks for an extra 25, and my husband definitely took advantage of that. Following the tour, the group is treated to a tasting including a nice selection of drams. Granted, the tour is a little pricey, but for what you get to see and do, I found it to be completely worth it.

1  Thank DP79DC
Reviewed June 30, 2014

There are so many whisky tours available in Scotland, some of them free, so why choose this one which costs £35 and has to be pre-booked? Because it is by far and away the BEST tour. In our case I chose the tour as a birthday surprise for my husband last summer, as Balvenie 12yr old Doublewood is his favourite single malt.

Tour parties never number more than 8 people - so you really get to see things, ask questions and talk to the people working in the distillery. Each tour lasts a full two hours and you see the whole process through from start to finished products (some of the barrels of whisky being aged will not be released til after I'm long gone!!). I learnt so much that I felt I could almost choose 'Whisky distilling' as my specialist subject on Mastermind. We tasted at every step of the process, and then after the we spent time in a special tasting room where we were given five different whiskies to taste, had to discribe how they tasted to us, which we prefered and why and had the reasons for their differences explained to us. It was fantastic, and I'm not normally a whisky lover.
Some of those on the tour with us were whisky lovers from abroad (USA, Sweden) and had spent time going on many tours across Scotland but all were unanimous that this was the best tour they had had.

1  Thank Herschelian
Reviewed June 29, 2014

This is the best tour we did whilst on the Malt Tour, you see the process from end to end, turning of the malt, processing, sampling at various stages, still house, etc. etc. Perfection...

1  Thank Meerkat2006
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We were initially sceptical about the price tag attached to this tour at £35 compared to the numerous free tours and £10 tasting tours. What more could you exactly get for your money?

You really get your money's worth and so much more!! This was a fantastic experience. We visited 10+ distilleries on our tour and we all agreed this was our favourite. You get to experience the whisky making process from start to finish - most places gloss over the malting process but here you get to experience everything - and more importantly taste everything from the raw barley to the malted barley to the wort and the wash. It gives you a real understanding of where the flavour develops.

The experience is particularly special in the warehouse were you can bottle your own from a selection of three barrels and even dip into a 40 year old cask (if you're a member of the Balvenie club - which is free online) and taste it! The tasting was really interesting and generous, with 5 drams + the members dram. You're in a lovely room surrounded by whisky samples - it feels really special.

The maximum participants is 8/9 so it feels very personal and it's easy to ask questions. You feel like a VIP. Dave, the Balvenie ambassador, was very friendly and knowledgeable.

This is a must for every whisky lover.

2  Thank XanderLexington