“Fantastic”

Ranked #9 of 17 Restaurants in Dufftown
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Great food. Wonderful husband and wife team run the place (I fail now to recall their names....) The Whiskey bar was over flowing with options and we got some very helpful tips from the gentleman who owns the place....

We thoroughly enjoyed our stop here.

1  Thank JPCzar

Reviewed September 18, 2011

We ate here two nights in succession, and the food was outstanding value for money. It was more like being a guest in someone's home than a restaurant - warm hospitality, with outstanding personal attention. This is easily the best place we found to eat in the area.

1  Thank Dr_Zoidberg_11
Reviewed August 25, 2011

From the reviews i thought we were going to get something special-I could not get a table at my preferred time as a large party was booked in --it was 3 people.
On arrival we were welcomed and taken into the little bar area, cramped to say the least. Menu selection ok but in reality my starter of goats cheese + salad was dull .My friends prawn cocktail was basic but acceptable, Our main course of pheasant was a let down. Too much gravy and the meat rather tough.
The wine prices were crazy--£30 + and that for little known wines .
to pay £100 + tip was too much for what was provided, a shame as we need good restaurants in this part of Scotland.

whiskycaptital, Owner at Tannochbrae Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

Thank you for your review. Tannaochbrae is a small intimate restaurant. On arrival we show our customers into The Stables Whisky Bar and Lounge where you can enjoy a drink while making your selection from the menu or have after dinner coffee in front of the log fire - we have seating for 14 persons - most of our customers enjoy the friendly atmosphere.
All our dishes are freshly prepared to order. To ensure the quality we take bookings at 15 minute intervals on this particular night the 7.30 pm slot was already booked by another party. Our menu has a wide selection of dishes to suit every taste and changes to guarantee the freshness of the produce used.
To offer our customers the taste of the Highlands we use only local game and the pheasant in particular is one of the most popular game dishes on our menu, it is served in the restaurant straight from the cooking pan.
We have a good selection of quality wines from all over the world starting from £16.50.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

The menu offers a good range, the quality is excellent and the staff very good. It is a small intimate restaurant with a nice mix of guests from different countries. My friend and I enjoyed all our courses but I could have had the chocolate mousse for starter, main course as well as my dessert! It also has a good reputation with the locals as a man in a pub said 'oh you get a good meal there'.

1  Thank hurstshingle

Thank you for your review it was lovely seeing you again. I am delighted you enjoyed the chocolate mousse I must remember when you come back to make lots !!

Reviewed July 23, 2011

We had made reservations to take our meal at Tannochbrae House before leaving home. It was a good choice because we had a delightful evening. Alan served us before dinner cocktails in the whisky bar downstairs. We enjoyed the assortment, talk about scotch whiskies and the general humor. Dinner was fabulous with a number of options. The local lamb was prepared for three and ceremoniously carved at a an adjacent table. It was described as tender, flavorful and the best ever enjoyed. Three sauces were given for the lamb, a mint balsamic, jelled currants and a piping hot brown gravy. I had a delicious fish prepared in what I would describe as tandoori style with preserved lemon and spices. The vegetables included tender fresh baby green beans, carrots, baby potatoes and a separate serving dish of fresh cauliflower with a delicately flavored light cream sauce. While full, we gave in to temptation and also feasted on desserts, whisky rice pudding and creme brûlée. The creme brûlée was as I like, wonderful caramel top on cooled custard, with essence of vanilla, that has the fluffiness of enfolded cream. The whisky pudding was quickly devoured and as perfect in texture and flavor with a hint of whisky flavor. My husband ate his with complete absorption. This is a high compliment as he samples rice pudding wherever he goes!

Our server, Jenny, invited us to take our coffee and tea in the back sitting room. There was a sweet small fireplace with a cozy fire. It was so pleasant. We then had the opportunity to meet Susie who reigns in the kitchen. She took the time to welcome us and to share her knowledge of food and the area.

1  Thank TravelWeyes

Thank you for your review. it was lovely meeting you all we are delighted that you enjoyed your evening at Tannochbrae.