“Avoid!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dufftown
Tannochbrae Guest House
Ranked #17 of 20 Dufftown B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 11, 2013

On the 5th of June, we were looking for accommodation in Craigellachie and I went into a hotel which, I was told was full already. The receptionist told me he could help and called the Tannochbrae Guest House to see if they had rooms for the night. I talked to somebody called John on the phone and he took my credit card details to secure the booking. In the mean time, my brother found accommodation in Craigellachie and as we wanted to stay there we decided to drive to Dufftown to see if we could get out of the booking.

On arrival, about 15 minutes later, we talked to John and even though he wasn't happy about losing the business, he agreed to cancel the booking without any charge since he didn't lose any business in the 20 minutes since the phone call.

You can imagine my surprise when I came home to find a charge on my credit card for the full amount for that night. I wrote an email to Alan, explaining what had happened, hoping this was an oversight on his part. He wrote back, saying he would look into the transaction and come back. After a couple of weeks without any news I wrote another couple of emails, still without any response.

That left me with no alternative but to ask my credit card company for a chargeback. Alan then proceeded to lie about the way things happened, saying we didn't turn up and that he had to turn away many people, which is clearly another blatant lie. I was travelling in a party of 3 and therefore have two witnesses confirming that I'm telling the truth and that Alan is a liar who cares more about money than his clients. He is obviously also a lousy businessman since a review like this one would prevent me and others from ever booking at his place. A shame, since this was the only blemish in an otherwise fantastic trip to Scotland.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Bernard P

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I discovered the Tannochbrae, while searching online for fine dining restaurants in Dufftown. My partner and I were staying at the Craigellechie Hotel, but were not impressed by the menu there. So we decided to try the Tannochbrae, with it being just a few miles away. I called the restaurant at around 4.30pm, and spoke to the co owner Alan. He was very polite and booked us in for 7pm. When we arrived, we were shown through to a small but cozy lounge area, where we were offered pre drinks before our meal. There were other people in the lounge, Swedish in fact, and we soon conversed with them while discussing the local whiskies! The open fire made it very comfortable, and a real home from home setting. Alan took our order from the lounge and by 8pm we were shown to our table. The restaurant was fully occupied (it is small, but I personally like that). The table was well prepared with a carafe of water, bread and butter. Our starters came in no time, I had the mushrooms in a creamy whiskey sauce, which were to die for, and my partner had the haggis, which was equally as good. The waitress was very pleasant and helpful. The main courses came about 15 minutes later, perfect timing, and were exceptional. I had the filet steak, cooked to perfection and my partner had the pheasant. The service was very good, the food was piping hot too. I cannot fault this restaurant at all. After our meal we had the pleasure of meeting the chef, which I think is a nice touch. I would highly recommend this restaurant to others and will definitely be going back. Thank you Alan and all the team at the Tannochbrae Guest House and Restaurant for making our evening very enjoyable!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Tannochbrae is very nice guest house located in the middle of the Speyside whisky district.The capital of Scots whisky. Within walking distance of the Gelnfiddich distillery and several other distilleries.
The bar holds over 300 different whiskeys. And Alan can tell you all about them. If you are a whisky ner, then this is the place.
The food served is good and delicious.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Torben H
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed here with another couple during a walk across Scotland. Not helpful that the front door was locked and we could not get in until just before 4pm - it was a very wet day and we were drenched and cold!

The hotel and rooms were clean - we had the 2 deluxe rooms. These were expensive for a B&B and we expected something special - disappointed. Whilst the bed was very comfortable and we all had a good night sleep - they were small doubles. The bath in one room was coloured and not white and had a very 70's feel about it. The other room had no bath. Whilst both rooms had tea making facilities, finding a plug and a safe place to use these was not easy.

We chose not to eat in the hotel due to the cost and the extra's although did have a few drinks - including some whisky from the bar. I would agree with previous comments that the prices are way too expensive and a rip off even for cheaper malts. £6.50 for a Dura malt which could be had in a pub for under £4.

Breakfast was Ok - although too many things on the menu again had additional costs beside them. I have never seen this in a B&B and it is so wrong - £4.50 extra for some haggis makes you wonder where he goes to catch it!!!!

Our total bill for our nights stay with a few rounds of drinks was around £250 - this for 2 rooms, 4 people and no dinner is in my opinion a rip off and we certainly will not be back or recommending it to any of our friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank scotlinea
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Together with two other whisky pilgrims we made a 2nd visit to Tannochbrae B&B.This time it was for 3 nights and the last one for 4 back in 2010.
We were expecting to be four people in two twins but unfortunately one of our party had to bow out of the trip a week before. We informed Allan as soon as we knew but he was unable to change the booking at this relatively late stage.
On check-out we again reminded them of the circumstances but he made no concessions at all - not reducing to single occupancy nor even a symbolic £5 per night reduction to reflect an untaken breakfast. This left a somewhat sour taste on top of the overall feeling of "that'll be extra" at many other opportunities (as noted by many other reviewers).

The product / rooms are now looking dated and in need of some refreshing.

Susie provides good quality, locally sourced food from a varied menu. However there a large number of items (both for dinner and breakfast) carrying a supplemental charge to the set menu price which is already near the top end for value.

The whisky bar at the rear is a good place to relax and meet up, pre or after dinner, with other enthusiasts, but again, pricing system is confusing with a multicoloured dot system and generally are on the high side.

We know that this is "business" but sometimes a little more give and less take would create a better feeling and encourage us to not look at alternatives next time we are in the area.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank philip2711
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Hotel clean room a bit small quiet couldnt check in till 4pm so lost some of first day.Didnt use restaurant or whiskey bar seemed expensive really only interested in Canadian visitors and others from overseas Every where else on our tour haggis came as standard but they were charging £4.50 extra and I bought a whole one from local butcher for less

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rhianslip
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Allan has a Whiskey bar to rival any pub in the area. 350 whiskey's to choose from and that's only the stuff on the shelf! (More in storage) Susie was an amazing cook and even opened the restaurant for us a few days early since it was slim pickings for food in town. We staying two days and had a wonderful, comfortable visit. I would recommend this B&B to anyone in staying in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kat B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dufftown
Craigellachie Hotel
Conval House Bed And Breakfast
The Gables
The Gables
#10 of 20 in Dufftown

Been to Tannochbrae Guest House? Share your experiences!