“Stunning location, terrible food”

Castella Amare Restaurant
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: On the Beach...With outside seating and spectacular views, dog friendly (On a leash please), South African restaurant with a Portuguese flavour
Reviewed April 26, 2013

If you want to sip a chilled glass of white wine while watching waves peeling across the bay, few better locations can be found.
But thats where the magic stops.
The menu is uninspired, (fish and chips, burgers, grilled calamari etc) as is the wine list, the restaurant is so close to the sea you can almsot touch it, yet my fish had been frozen. Both my friends' food was really terrible. (One of them was bought the wrong dish and its eventual replacement was rubbery and really inedible.) Such a pity, as this could be a really amazing restaurant, but it desperately needs a properly trained imaginative chef and visible management, fresh seafood and a bit of flair/inspiration. So enjoy the wine and view, then head off to a more delectable taste experience.

1  Thank ann g

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We celebrated my birthday at the Kliphuis on Saturday 16 March 2013. We enjoyed and amazing meal which was well prepared, courteously served with care and attention to detail. Our waitron was friendly attentive and she had a permanent smile.

Thank you for making the evening so special. You did not even know that it was my birthday which clearly demonstrated that the service and attention that we enjoyed was your normal high standard.

It was our first visit to Die Kliphuis and it certainly will not be our last.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Next time you're in Cape Town and have a limited budget, but want a nice breakfast buffet on a Sunday, head to Melkbosstrand and to Die Kliphuis. They have a good selection of food for vegetarians and meat eaters alike, from yoghurt, stewed fruit, and muesli, to eggs made to order, toast, tomato, potato rosti, beans, mushrooms, bacon, sausages, livers etc. The service was friendly and efficient and the location and view of the City and sea is beautiful. I suspect they are working on improving their service and have placed 'service buttons' on the table, which you press to call your waitron.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We booked a date and with great excitement came through from Panorama to eat out.... we came to Kliphuis and waited 25 mins to be helped...we ordered drinks and watched the sunset - after 30 mins of nothing we got up left and nobody even knew we left! What a beautiful place, what a shame that the service was noT! We did complain to management and the response was plainly sorry- no remorse - not seeing us again - bye bye!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were looking forward to trying out this restaurant after relocating to the area because we'd heard good things about it but we were not impressed. Once seated, no one came to wait on us until after 10+ minutes (I don't know how long we sat there before I decided to time it) I finally got up, walked to the bar where several of the wait staff were congregating and asked for service. I will say that after that, the service improved and Marshall did his best to take good care of us but I think he was bartending too and just spread to thin. The calamari appetizer (or starter) was without a doubt the smallest portion I've ever been served of anything! Normally one appetizer is plenty for my husband and I to share. This was not even enough to satisfy one person. Didn't dare order more though for fear the restaurant would close before we got it! It was fresh and tender but again, just a tiny portion. My kingklip was quite good.....not outstanding like I've had at other local places but really nothing to complain about either. Ditto for the calamari steak my husband had. Not the best but not the worst either. He did enjoy one of the side dishes which was maybe mashed sweet potato or some kind of mashed squash. I don't like either one of those things so he ate mine. His dessert was the only thing that was really noteworthy....chocolate springrolls! YUM! They were delicious.....so much so that I'm going to try to make some myself one of these days! Now that they have finished remodeling, I hope the next step will be raising the standard of service and improving their food selection so that they can move from average to outstanding because the location really is wonderful.