“Good breakfast buffet”

Castella Amare Restaurant
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: On the Beach...With outside seating and spectacular views, dog friendly (On a leash please), South African restaurant with a Portuguese flavour
Cape Town
“Good breakfast buffet”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Next time you're in Cape Town and have a limited budget, but want a nice breakfast buffet on a Sunday, head to Melkbosstrand and to Die Kliphuis. They have a good selection of food for vegetarians and meat eaters alike, from yoghurt, stewed fruit, and muesli, to eggs made to order, toast, tomato, potato rosti, beans, mushrooms, bacon, sausages, livers etc. The service was friendly and efficient and the location and view of the City and sea is beautiful. I suspect they are working on improving their service and have placed 'service buttons' on the table, which you press to call your waitron.

• Visited March 2013

Cape Town
“Awful service and no food!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We booked a date and with great excitement came through from Panorama to eat out.... we came to Kliphuis and waited 25 mins to be helped...we ordered drinks and watched the sunset - after 30 mins of nothing we got up left and nobody even knew we left! What a beautiful place, what a shame that the service was noT! We did complain to management and the response was plainly sorry- no remorse - not seeing us again - bye bye!

• Visited February 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Newly remodeled but they should have invested in service instead....”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were looking forward to trying out this restaurant after relocating to the area because we'd heard good things about it but we were not impressed. Once seated, no one came to wait on us until after 10+ minutes (I don't know how long we sat there before I decided to time it) I finally got up, walked to the bar where several of the wait staff were congregating and asked for service. I will say that after that, the service improved and Marshall did his best to take good care of us but I think he was bartending too and just spread to thin. The calamari appetizer (or starter) was without a doubt the smallest portion I've ever been served of anything! Normally one appetizer is plenty for my husband and I to share. This was not even enough to satisfy one person. Didn't dare order more though for fear the restaurant would close before we got it! It was fresh and tender but again, just a tiny portion. My kingklip was quite good.....not outstanding like I've had at other local places but really nothing to complain about either. Ditto for the calamari steak my husband had. Not the best but not the worst either. He did enjoy one of the side dishes which was maybe mashed sweet potato or some kind of mashed squash. I don't like either one of those things so he ate mine. His dessert was the only thing that was really noteworthy....chocolate springrolls! YUM! They were delicious.....so much so that I'm going to try to make some myself one of these days! Now that they have finished remodeling, I hope the next step will be raising the standard of service and improving their food selection so that they can move from average to outstanding because the location really is wonderful.

• Visited February 2013
Sydney Australia
“Great location does not mean good food or service”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

What a pity! Here we were, visiting the Cape, and told about this great restaurant on the beach across Table Bay and looking at Cape Town and Table Mountain in the distance.

The service was not good and when our food arrived it was disappointing for all. Two of us decided to try the seafood platter and expected a wide variety of fresh, succulent seafood seeing the prices were on the high side. The consensus was that the dishes were 'average'.

The others ordered a variety of entrees and main dishes and unfortunately I didn't hear any 'Ahhs' or 'Yums'. This is the expectation when visiting the Cape, particularly from overseas, and visit a restaurant of note. The desserts were also average.

Melkbosstrand is quite far out of the city on the other side of the fast developing areas around Bloubergstrand. If this restaurant wants to keep up with some of the better restaurants around the Canal area, then they need to give themselves a wake-up call.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank WellTravelledAussie2
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great Location - Just a shame about everything else”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The location is great - but thats where it stops.
Service is appalling, it took 2.5 hours to get through lunch which was a one course, simple meal.
The food is also very average - not really restaurant standard I would even go as far to say.

Rather go to the Damhuis up the road.

Visited February 2012