“Great Location - Just a shame about everything else”

Castella Amare Restaurant
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: On the Beach...With outside seating and spectacular views, dog friendly (On a leash please), South African restaurant with a Portuguese flavour
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The location is great - but thats where it stops.
Service is appalling, it took 2.5 hours to get through lunch which was a one course, simple meal.
The food is also very average - not really restaurant standard I would even go as far to say.

Rather go to the Damhuis up the road.

1  Thank MarcFletcher

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My family took me here for my birthday - GREAT choice - good food, good view, good service. We'll definitely be back. Brilliant with children.

1  Thank Lesley R
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The best part if our visit was the stunning view. The rest of it was pretty ordinary. Waited 15 minutes before we had to ask for menus. These came to us in cheap carton folders with cellotape at the back holding it together. No prices are listed for any of the alcohol except for the wine.

The grill of this restaurant was broken so you could not order half of the menu. Food was extremely slow in coming out. Boyfriend enjoyed his fish and chips but my pizza had some very old stringy cheese on.

After another long wait and having to ask someone to send our waitress we finally got the bill. The fish and chips were overcharged, which upon request, was stated as a typing error on the menu. To me this feels like stealing from clients as others wont even notice.

Such a pity because it has so much potential but I was very disappointed.

1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Possibly the worst meal I had whilst I was on holiday over Christmas. There is virtually no management, cold food, long waits and expensive. It is such a shame as it is in o lovely location. It is better to sit outside and look at the view and go nowhere near the restaurant.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

This restaurant is in a stunning location right on the beach at Melkbostrand, about half an hour drive from the city of Cape Town up the north coast. The area is well worth visiting. However the restaurant is poorly run which is a pity. The food is perfectly edible but very ordinary and the waiters find it hard to get the orders right. Our lunch was such a disaster that I asked to speak to the manager. She listened to the points I made - there were several - about the mistakes with the order, lack of some elements of the dish - i.e. no prawns - and the fact that my meal came 20 minutes after my husband had his! She made little comment but didn't charge us for the coffee. We have just returned to the restaurant after the experience just related this time last year. Sadly things haven't changed.