“Mellow out on Melkbos beachfront”
Review of Damhuis

Damhuis
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Damhuis has now replaced what used to be the Big Blue (now Maranello's, excellent, more formal) as the easy-going beachfront spot for breakfasts, coffee, lunch, a beer, sundowners or dinner. Beach themed, sheltered area creates a great space with more and less formal spaces, and easy flow from inside to outdoors. Smell the ocean. Kids can play in a sandy 'beach' in the outdoor space. Had a really good, generous breakfast (good minced meat option), good cappucino etc. Menu looked good for lunch and dinner too.

1  Thank Denis L
There are newer reviews for Damhuis

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was so surprised by this lovely restaurant by the beach!
My mother and I went for lunch and a chat and ending up spending most of our day there!
It has wonderful view and is a great place to take family or friends.

They had the best calamari I've ever had in a restaurant!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My fiancée has eaten here twice before me and made sure I got to experience what he did. I had the Eisbein a tendor pork shank that had a great spice added to it. It was meaty and a crunch to skin I couldn't believe it stayed moist inside. The plate also came with sauerkraut and mash but the pork shank is what it's all about. For appetizer we had mussels in cream sauce and a platter of olives,hummus,babaganush with pita. Super start to our meal....ordered a NEderburg Riesling which was dry and went well with the pork and dorado fish my fiancée ate. The winter weather kept us inside by the fire but the decor is authentic history of the building and out server was informative on the menu. If I ever come back to SOuth AFrica I will eat here again....

1  Thank bmcnaz
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We have been to the Damhuis a few times and never been disappointed. They have made improvements to the outside seating area since our last visit and it now more sheltered from the wind. It is child friendly and the kids enjoy the large sandpit and play area while parents have their meal.
The service was very good and the menu offers a good choice of meat, fish and traditional dishes. The fresh Salmon was excellent and the steaks cooked to perfection. They have a small wine list but with a reasonable choice of estate and value wines.
They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Good choice for a family outing over the weekend or a relaxing meal with friends.

1  Thank Tonie B
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Lovely setting and amazing red velvet cake, carrot cake and tea...nice place to stop on the way back from Paternoster to Cape Town

1  Thank Rosalind M