“It's the little things that make a huge difference”
Review of Sandcastle B&B

Sandcastle B&B
Ranked #7 of 13 Melkbosstrand B&B and Inns
Johannesburg
“It's the little things that make a huge difference”
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I stayed at the Sandcastle B&B for 3 nights in January. The place is a street back from the beachfront in the idyllic village of Melkbos, and despite having directions from them I found the place hard to find as it is not very well marked. Parking is outside on the pavement, and I was greeted the owners who introduced himself and helped me with my luggage.

On the bottom floor is a small reception area, and to the side the staircase that leads to the floor with the guest rooms. The family also stays on the bottom floor, and as the reception desk is not manned it is very uncomfortable to get any service unless you bump into the owners or one of the 2 cleaners/helpers that work there. On the first floor are the guestrooms - 4 bedrooms, 2 sea-facing. In the middle is a small guest kitchen area, as well as the tables which are always set for breakfast. There is another staircase leading to the top floor, with a large guest lounge area, tv and a nice balcony that overlooks the sea and from which you have a great view of the sunset. It is a pity that this area is not used for breakfast as well.

I had one of the sea-facing rooms. The room was not very big, a queen size bed with clean white linen, a bathroom at the back and a small cupboard in the corner of the room. There is a small view of the sea from the glass balcony doors, however the blinds were not functioning and could not be opened fully and thus you only had the view with the doors open. The view is over the roof-top of some families house in front of you. The bathroom was a nice size, and nice big bath and shower. The shower had sand on the floor, and despite bringing this to the attention of the owners twice, was never cleaned up. Also to note is that there is only one bedside lamp, the globe had fused and it was only after the 2nd night, and after complaining about it yet again, that it was fixed. There is also free Wi-fi available, however I was not able to connect and was told this must be my computer (strange, as I have no problems otherwise). I was given, on my request, a cord for the connection in the room.

Breakfast is served on the middle area of the first floor - and with the bedrooms on the side of this, I found I was disturbed from my sleep by other guests having earlier breakfast. Breakfast was a small fruit salad, which was mainly tinned fruit. Small yoghurts were available. The one day I was given a basket of muffins. There is a toaster and bread available, as well as a kettle with tea and coffee - this is all self-service. I was offered a hot breakfast the night before (not great for those that like to decide on the spur of the morning what to eat).... I asked for 2 soft boiled eggs and vegetables. I was given only one egg each morning, despite asking for another never got a second one. The vegetables consisted of oven-baked frozen chips the first day, the other days were a bit better with a tiny helping of fried onions and mushrooms. I was also given a tiny plate with a few slices of tomato and cucumber. Breakfast is served by one of the helpers, it was a pity that the owners did not come to ask if I was happy with my meal.

On the good side the place is a road up from the beachfront, and from there you can walk forever on the beach. There are also a few rather good restaurants on the beachfront road. My original stay was planned for 2 nights, and when I asked to extend it for one more night this was no problem. When it came to checking out, I was told that they process the credit cards over the internet - I have to say that I did not feel comfortable with this, and would have been liked to have been told this upfront and offered an alternative like paying with cash or direct bank transfer.

Overall although the place is rather nice, I feel that for the price paid it is a pity that the little touches are neglected.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank Mishmash9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)