La Foresteria Planeta The Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Le Dune Resort(Porto Palo)
  • Breakfast included
Paradise Beach Resort(Marinella di Selinunte)
  • Breakfast included
Costanza Beach Club(Marinella di Selinunte)
View Hotel
Club Esse Selinunte Beach(Marinella di Selinunte)
  • Breakfast included
Grand Hotel Selinunte(Marinella di Selinunte)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Il Cuore di Dioniso Dimora D'Epoca(Marinella di Selinunte)
View Hotel
Villa Sicilia Baglio(Marinella di Selinunte)
View Hotel
All reviewsla foresteriawine tastingbeach clubinfinity poolcooking classherb gardenbeautiful viewdining roombreakfast and dinnerquality of fooddining areapasta dishesfood was fantasticcookery coursetop classreception areastayed longer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a lovely place and a nice getaway from the other more touristy parts of Sicily. Our room was huge and had a beautiful view of the gardens. The bathroom was the best we had in Sicily with double shower. We also went to their Ulma winery for a short tour and tasting and found it to be very interesting. Excellent quality wines. The people are very nice and informative.
We expected more from the restaurant. We ate there twice. Once for the multicourse tasting menu which was fine. The next night we were not very hungry and each only ordered one dish. They came at different times so we were not really eating together. I think they need more people in the kitchen to coordinate things. Only saw three working there and that is not enough to deliver things hot and at the same time. However, did enjoy the rabbit pasta even though it was not very hot when I received it.
Two things would have made this place better--comfortable chairs on our patio so we could sit and enjoy the view--rusty straight up metal chairs were not appealing--and more a more comfortable place to sit and have a glass of wine before dinner. Very large leather sofas were hard as a rock and it was difficult to have a conversation with the reception part of the room.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed at La Forestia for 3 nights in September, the room we were given looked over the pool, which had a secluded seating area just outside the patio doors. This allowed you to walk straight from the room to the pool area, loved this. The room itself is beautifully done with a cottage feel, very cosy and spacious. The bathroom was a little small, but you spend little time in here, so was not a problem.

The views from the terrace are amazing with gorgeous sunsets. Breakfast and dinner down in the outside eating area were fab, my favourite part of each day. Waiters were very friendly and welcoming.

We visited the private beach run by the hotel, this isn't a private beach itself, more a private area along the beach with a beach house where you can relax behind the sand dunes, it is gorgeous and peaceful. We moved our sun beds over the dunes though to enjoy the views of the beautiful clear sea… just watch out for Jelly Fish, they are massive!

We also took the bikes out supplied for free by the hotel. They were in good condition, compared to many other hotel bikes we have used, there is a cycle route you can follow down to the beach and up towards Menfi, which has great views across the vineyards.

We also went on the wine tasting at Planeta, you do need to drive to this which isn't ideal when you're tasting wines, especially as it's not a short drive. Once there though we had a very enjoyable time, tasting the wines, the lady who showed us around was very welcoming.

Overall a gorgeous and relaxing place to stay, we would definitely go back. I think there just needs to be a little more information given about the trips etc, just to ensure you know whats happening. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at La Foresteria in early September. Such a beautiful place to spend a few days. The first thing we noticed when we entered the property was the aroma of fresh herbs! Incredible! The place was spotless, the staff, attentive and friendly and the food was amazing! I strongly suggest springing for the the hands on cooking demo with Chef Angelo. He is funny, engaging and very knowledgeable, and you get to eat the meal you helped prepare! A previous poster mentioned the lack of bar service at the pool, but we found that if we asked whomever was working the desk they quickly sent someone to help us. It seemed to me that the person working the bar was also helping with dinner service, so that could have been the situation.

I found such a sense of calm and peacefulness staying here, and it seems my soul has captured its essence for I can tap into it whenever I feel frenzied now. I am not sure how long this will last, but when it fades completely, perhaps I will go back.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed a couple of days at La Foresteria. The title of the review sums it up nicely. As to the details, the standard of cuisine was excellent, we enjoyed the tasting menu, some great ideas and flavours. The views from the property are great ....as long as you don't end up in room 10 which seemed to be one of the few without a terrace (despite booking more than 6 months before our stay and being advised on the room type we wanted, we were offered this room which we declined, and after a short stand off we were given room 2 which was just lovely). A few words on the service though. I can't figure out if it was a language (understanding what the mainly English clientele wanted) or a management problem (training and organising the staff) or both. The service at the pool was almost non existent, I feel sure there was a missed business opportunity to sell a few pre and post dinner drinks, and the attempt of the barman (who also doubled up as sommelier) to set up the bar in the evening was a picture of apathy (besides he disappeared before I could order anything). In the restaurant service was chaotic, at least on the first night when there were insufficient staff. I also don't recall ever having a tasting menu served without an explanation of not just the food but also the wines and logic in the pairings - altogether for 2 people this was a €170 experience, and it should have been done properly, not just to do justice to the food but also the wines. If I was working in the kitchen to produce such great food, I would be somewhat aggrieved at the manner in which it was served. The sommelier was (and here I disagree completely with other reviewers) poor, and had little interest in discussing the wines and chat about these but simply seemed to want to get the order and move on. My wife and I felt the pain of a fellow diner who was showing great interest in trying alternative reds but was bullied into the sommeliers proposal for more of the same, by the sound of it simply because he could not be bothered to have a discussion. The sommelier would greatly benefit from spending some time with Genevra (spelling?) at the Ulmo winery who conveyed real passion and empathy for the wines and engaged so nicely with the dozen or so customers who shared the tasting with us that day. A great example of not just getting through a shift of work with minimum of effort but really enjoying what you do and conveying it to the people you are serving. In a property that showcases such great wines, the sommelier is the role to invest in and get right, but this is not the case at La Foresteria. My thought is if they can sharpen up the training of the service staff in how to do things consistently well and find a sommelier with real passion for the wine, and interest in engaging with his customers, this could be an excellent property. A little more effort with breakfast would not go amiss either.

Room Tip: Decline room 10 if offered (unless you get a good deal!)
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 weeks in Sicily and La Foresteria was certainly our favorite hotel. Staff is friendly and helpful. Our room was comfortable, and had a terrace overlooking the vineyards AND the sea. As we expected from a hotel runned by a winery (planeta), wines and food were outstanding (our special thanks to the sommelier and his wonderful recommendations). The hotel also has a partnership with a clubhouse on the beach. Don't miss that - it's simple yet very charming.
I couldn't find any flaws in this hotel!