“Nice resort if you like staying within the hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Carema Club Resort

Carema Club Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Fornells
London, United Kingdom
“Nice resort if you like staying within the hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I'm a 35 year old Mother of two girls,4 years old and 6 months. I needed a hotel within easy reach of everything and in need of kitchen facilties and air con. We didnt book all inclusive due to me being worried about not having a kitchen but i was told every room does have a fridge,kettle and microwave. There are only 4 places to eat within walking distance close to the hotel, otherwise you need a cab ride to Fornells which is 7.20 euros. Fornells is lovely full of restaurants facing the harbour and a few nice shops but not much else. We ended up paying 15 euros per adult to eat in the hotels buffet restaurant which was lovely! Plenty of choice for everyone and wine, beer and soft drinks on tap. I wish we had gone all inclusive! The best restaurant is Cafe del nord, its right up the hill but well worth the walk up! The area is generally hilly a bit difficult with a pram but not too bad. The beach was very close and not at all crowded considering it was August! Sun loungers were 5 euros but the lady took all day to turn up to collect the money. The sea is shallow for some distance perfect for kids. The hotel is run by an italian entertainment team who speak little english. Nothing is translated within any of the hotel information packs or on the message boards. There is a kids club however due to my little girl being english speaking she could only join in with the 9pm "mini disco" which she loved! There are two large pools, one with a very shallow childrens section and its very warm. The main pool has music through the day with various activities around the pool. The other pool to the right when facing the beach has more english people but less beds and is very deep! There is also a tiny square pool which looks like its private but reception said its ok to use. We did have an ant problem but one call to reception and powerful spray we didnt see another one again!! The rooms are basic but clean we were on the ground floor room J108 just up passed a supermarket. Although we only had two pans, one frying pan not much else apart from glasses and plates. They provide toilet roll, the room is cleaned every other day. We were lucky the room was in a shaded area as the air con is rubbish! We were however little cooler at night but I'm sure it was just our location! The supermarket is VERY expensive. There is no ATM machine in the hotel you have to go to Fornells for this and reception do not change up euros. The staff were very friendly although not that helpful when i asked where we could find more restaurants or places to go other than Fornells. The taxi from the airport is around 30 mins and cost us around 40 euros. The bar stuff didnt have any trouble with our card we needed to top up with money through reception as we managed to order vodkas and beers with no issues although it was 5 euros for a vodka and coke. Getting drinks from the supermarket was slightly cheaper. I would suggest hiring a car too as there is nothing near the resort unless you like staying put. There is a bus service with very odd times to Fornells and Son Parc for around 2 euros each. The water park was an hour away and cost 20 euros per adult and I think around 15 for child but with a cab ride would work out around 200 euros for the day out so we gave that a miss! Again if you hire a car this would be a great day out! If you like staying close to the hotel and dont mind being in an italian driven hotel than its defo worth bookiing! Menorca is a lovely place!

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views being close to the main pool could be noisy. Some lower floors fac...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Great resort for families. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel was v child-friendly. There were other British families staying but the hotel caters for Italian holiday makers mainly so Entertainment and kids clubs were in Italian. The beach is close to the hotel and the water is shallow so feels v safe for kids. A really good holiday for kids and adults.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank 488SamG
Redruth, Cornwall
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Just come back from 7 days at Carema Playa. First of all it is a lovely location, accommodation / facilities all above average, however if like me you can't survive without aircon in 35C heat at night you may be better looking elsewhere. I would give it a four star rating it it wasn't for this as I came back exhausted from lack of sleep! Maybe our room was hotter as we had a top floor room but the air con is a feeble little draft of still warm air. I spent half the night wandering around the apartment opening /shutting windows trying to decide if it was better or worse with the window open. With the window open however it was a fearsome and definitely fatal drop if you were stumbling around at night in the dark and fell out! I am I admit sensitive to this being asthmatic and the rest of the family weren't so troubled by it. I reported it never saw an engineer but the receptionist told me he had had it checked and it was fine. I suspect the aircon had lost its gas but the maintenance man wouldn't know how to fix this. Would have asked for a different room but it may have been the same.
The views from the room were lovely and the room size and layout were more than adequate, and very clean.
Now the other problem is if you were self catering there is no provision for food on site if you want say a poolside snack. Its all inclusive or nothing. Plus the same with drinks. You have to pre-charge your hotel account card with money, that's not a problem I didn't mind that but then the girls couldn't work out how to take payment on the tills for anything other than a beer. I asked for a cocktail for my wife, several conversations between the staff and a phone call produced the answer sorry its for all inclusive only. They couldn't even give me a price. I came away with a gin and lemonade, this was all they managed. The staff really need to be trained in how to take for a drink using the hotel account card system. The girls were very pleasant on the bar, only completely stumped by the system. We would have spent money at the bar but ended up buying spirits from the supermarket and having a drink in our room instead of by the pool, which is a real shame, plus the hotel loose out!
As for Italians, as my Spanish is probably no better than my Italian it doesn't matter! We're not interested in evening entertainment anyway, went to Fornells instead which was lovely, couldn't get a taxi on the sat night however had to walk home in the pitch dark 3 km , but amazing the footpath was lit all the way back! Never seen anything like it we were so impressed!
The beach and sea were amazing and right outside the hotel, never crowded and vey relaxing- if the air con was fixed I would go back like a shot-wouldn't mind seeing what the hotel have to say on this (room B304-penhaligon family)?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MaxWeinbinder, Director General at Carema Club Resort, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Mr Penhaligon, Let me start by saying how delighted I was to hear that you enjoyed the wonderful view of Cala Tirant so much, its beauty, and incomparable peace and quiet. I was surprised, however, to hear about the issues you raised regarding the air conditioning - for this I apologise. It may be that the hotel’s air-conditioning could not actually maintain the standards that you are accustomed to. In fact the head of our maintenance checked the system for problems, and gave me his assurances that all was working correctly. Moreover you are the first person to report the problem, and we have not received any similar complaints from previous or subsequent guests. As for the bar, again please accept my apologies, as the staff must have acted in the way they did due to a misunderstanding. The situation has been pointed out to them to ensure that this will not occur again in the future. Just to confirm that all guests, regardless of the type of booking, should be accommodated in exactly the same way, that is to say that all guests can have whatever they wish from the bar without any question. Finally I would like to thank you for your review of the hotel, as it will certainly help us to continue making improvements towards the professionalism and complete dedication, that we all try to provide for our guests at all times.

Maximiliano Weinbinder
Hotel Manager
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We just returned from a very relaxing week in Menorca. We stayed in Carema Playa in 1 bed apartment for 6 nights and it was very enjoyable. Carema playa is a quite large complex of 2 floor apartment blocks. It's pretty and well kept. However, if you have dificulties with walking or knees etc,it is probably not for you as there are a lot of stairs in the complex or getting into the appartment and in general the area is rather hilly. we didnt mind so we were ok. The apartment itself was clean and spacious,had a nice balcony but as we were staying on the top floor it could do with a roof for more shade and it only had few beams. it had a large living room with a very old fashioned but working TV (had 6 or 7 channels,one English BBC World, one german,one italian and few spanish ones) but we didnt really bother but if you need it,it is there. the kitchenette is basic but had everything we needed for cooking (self catering). microwave,fridge,hobs,Pans,cuttlery,cups etc.the bathroom was large with a bath/shower and it could probably do with the renovation but again,we didnt mind, especially for the price we paid. there was always got water-not that you need it in this heat.the appartment was cleaned twice and the towels were changed twice. The only disadvantage about the place was the air-conditioning unit on the roof just above our flat which was making a very irritating noise at all times and then few times an hour when it was firing up, the noise was unbearable but it only lasted for about 5minutes and then back to annoying humming again.this spoiled evenings on the balcony a little bit and killed the chilled atmosphere of the surroundings so maybe when you book,check if you dont have one of those above your apartment. There are 2 lovely beaches (not too busy) few mins walk from the appartment,some overlooking the sea and one of the beaches at least. you can rent kayaks, you can snorkel, beautiful waters over there. there are also 2 supermarkets in the area,we found that the one by the complex,just after reception was the best,great selection of food,drinks,gifts,guides,swimming gear,anything you would possibly need on hols was there and it wasnt expensive at all we thought.The area itself is very quiet and secluded so if you want to party,it is not a place for you. there is a bus stop just next to complex,which made our life a lot of easier as we explored all the island using public transport.it wasnt that easy as the timetable is quite restricted but with a bit of planning you can get anywhere. but if you have spare cash, i would strongly recommend renting a car. we left it to the last minute and all the cars were rented already-hence the buses which nota bene are very reliable and extremely punctual. There are 4 restaurants in this area,we tested all and the food was very average and disappointing if i am completely honest.it was also overpriced. you will be better off travelling or walking (40min stroll) to Fornells and eating there as there is a great selection of good quality restaurants. we recommend El Pescador. all in all we loved our trip to Menorca,it is ever so quiet and relaxing and some of the views are to die for,not mentioning the crystal clear waters. it is so different from some other spanish places invaded by Burger kings,cheesy bars and loud teenagers.. You want to relax, visit Menorca..

Room Tip: top room=no bugs.there were a lot of weird creepy crawling bugs-proper invasion,so wouldnt stay on t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Girondoluna
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Having read some of the earlier reviews we were a bit worried about what it would be like, but we were pleasantly surprised. The resort was clean, beautifully laid out, and the three pools were lovely, although we are more beach and explore kind of people. I would highly recommend hiring a car, as the island is beautiful and very easy to drive around and explore. Especially recommend visiting the wild tortoises at the Nature Reserve! The reception staff were lovely, and couldn't have been more helpful, I don't know what other reviewers mean by not speaking English, or not being friendly towards the English. We were very fussy about our room as we like a quiet top floor room with a view, and they couldn't have done more to accommodate us. We also asked about a missing lightbulb and before the end of the day it had been replaced. Although on the ground floor rooms you can hear people walking about above you (please, please take your shoes off if there is someone below you!!), otherwise the soundproofing was pretty good. The equipment is basic, and if you want anything other than the bare essentials you will have to take your own. We didn't have much to do with the rest of the staff as we were self-catering, and we hadn't counted on being near the end of the season, so some of the facilities, like the buffet and entertainment were closed, but we didn't mind that as it made it quieter, and there were some lovely restaurants nearby. A particular recommendation has to go to Cafe del Nord, who went out of their way to cook me a vegetarian meal (if you go there, tell them I said hi!). The one evening we did get to eat at the buffet at the hotel, my partner was very impressed with the quality and variety. It was more limited for vegetarians, but I'm used to that, and
at least I couldn't argue at the quantity of wine that was included in the price! We would definitely go back to the resort, as it was friendly, didn't feel commercialised, is in a quiet part of the island, but the rest of the island is easily accessible. It was everything we wanted.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Toni H
Chorleywood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed for a week in early August 2012. Carema Club Playa is a nice resort in a beautiful, unspoilt part of Menorca. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and found the resort to be well run and reasonably maintained. I would say this is definitely a 3 star resort though – not 4, especially the rooms

We went all inclusive and found the food to be great; it was varied with a wide range of choices. The wine provided for all inclusive was shocking though – we stuck to the beer! One criticism would be the staff’s insistence on serving all inclusive patrons with small plastic glasses, not the perfect vessel for enjoying a G&T in the evening! Having said that the terrace outside the bar, overlooking the pool was the perfect place to have a quiet pre-dinner drink.

We used the main pool (a great pool for the kids) for the first half of the week but the constant loud music started to grate so we used the quieter, smaller pool on the other side of the resort for the second half of the holiday.

The true test though is whether one would go back and the answer is yes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank JubesandJames
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I went to Carema Club Playa with my boyfriend in Sept 2012. We were looking for a quiet, relaxing holiday, which had apartments with cooking facilities.

We really enjoyed this holiday. The weather was beautiful, very hot but with a cooling breeze. Our apartment was spacious, cool and clean. The cooking facilities were adequate; there was a filter coffee machine, two hobs, a fridge and some saucepans and utensiles. However, I would suggest that you take a sharp knife with you if you are planning on cooking. Our apartment was on the 1st floor and had a balcony overlooking one of the pools. I had not expected to be so close to the sea, or that there would be three pools! We spent most of our time by the pool (the quieter one), where there were plenty of sunbeds, and a good combination of shade and sun. Most of the week, the poolside was extremeley quiet, although there were a few families with children by the end the the week.

The staff were also really friendly and helpful. At one point I went to ask if we could have a bottle opener for our room, and it was in our room by the end of the day.

There were two local supermarkets in Playas Del Fornells. They were not cheap, but I would highly recommend the tomatoes, peppers and eggs! One of them also had a bakery attached, and both sold very cheap alcohol. There were also 3 restaurants/cafes within a 10 minute walk from the apartment, which were all good.

We walked to Fornells for one day, which was a really lovely village, with a large range of restaurants. If we were here for longer than a week, I would suggest that you do rent a car to explore more of the island, but this was not what we were looking for for this holiday. Lots of people also got the bus to Fornells, but we really enjoyed the walk.

Overall, this holiday was exactly what we were looking for, quiet, relaxing, good weather and good food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sophv
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fornells
Melia Cala Galdana
Sol Beach House Menorca
Sol Beach House Menorca
#1 of 4 in Santo Tomas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,116 reviews

Been to Carema Club Resort? Share your experiences!