“An Annual Battlefield Trip”
Review of Hotel de la Paix

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Albert
Benfleet, United Kingdom
“An Annual Battlefield Trip”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Myself and three friends stayed at this Hotel recently arriving on the 29th April and departing on the 1st May. We have stayed here about 17 times under the previous proprietor, but over the years the hotel deteriorated considerably. Since being taken over by the present owner it has been revitalised. The hotel has been redecorated to a high standard, a new breakfast room, and a television lounge have been added. The food was excellent, and so was the service, and the buffet breakfast was superb. The rooms have been redecorated and are extremely comfortable with all that any traveller could wish. An addition to the rooms was the tea and coffee making facilities which were not there before. As I said previously, we had stayed at this hotel many times before, and we will be staying there again next year, we had a wonderful time and Mr. Richard must be congratulated on what he has done for the hotel. Obviously it has the added bonus of being right in the middle of Albert, which has so much history for the battlefield tourer. I can heartily recommend this Hotel to anyone.

Mick Newberry

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Only the lack of a full English Breakfast stopped me giving it 5 stars!! OK, the rooms are small but they are spotlessly clean! Nothing unusual there, small Hotels in France are all like that! The food in the restaurant is superb, really good! The owner and his wife are very helpful, they are rather shy about speaking English which may have been mis-interpretated by some as 'Unhelpful'.

My friend and I went on our Harley's and the owner allowed us to store them overnight in his garage, safe and secure!

If you need a great base for a Somme tour, this is it. I wouldn't hesitate to go back! From here even the most distant sites are only 30-40 minutes away.

Now if they did bacon & eggs..........................! :-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Harleybloke
UK
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed two nights in this hotel with a couple of mates whilst visiting the local battlefileds of the First World War (Somme etc) in lat June 2013
Hotel is a regular, family run, small informal hotel.
The service is good, the food fine and the overall atmosphere is comfortble and relaxed.

you get given a code for the front door--you can come as go as you like

The proprietor was very helpful - we arrived thirsty - got a beer in his small bar before we went to our rooms ! -perfect. the check in process is very easy and the checkout was also very efficient.

the town of Albert is pretty small and the hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the town square. NB if you have an hour a top recommendation would be the WWI museum underneath the town hall - absolutly excellent !

limited parking is available a few metres from the front door...we were able to park there both evenings - v convenient

Good value - highly recommend this little informal hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Hotel was easy to find, I was pleased to find my room very comfortable & clean, the food & service in the restaurant was very good.. I had a good & pleasant stay whilst in Albert.
I didn't know that Albert was in the Somme with so much history in & around the area, it was a same that my visit was only short as I could have enjoyed more time looking around the WW1 history.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Belper, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We used this as a base to tour the WW1 battle fields and memorials.It is central for this purpose. The rooms are comfortable and very clean.There is a good selection of food for breakfast and the restaurant offers an excellent choice of menu for the evening meaI. The staff are freindly and very helpful.We would certainly stop there again if we return to Albert.Thoroughly recommend the hotel for anyone stopping in this area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I booked into this hotel because of the reviews I saw on TripAdvisor.

As I was getting to Albert, I realized that I was running very low on petrol but ran into one of those rental car issues where I could not figure out how to open the gas tank. I am sure that I had only gallon or so left when I pulled up to the hotel.

It took lots of mutually uncomprehending efforts on both of our parts, but I finally explained to the manager that I needed help because I really didn't think I had enough gas to get to the station and wouldn't know how to open the gas tank anyway. He mad many calls to local folks and this took a lot of his time. Some local emergency service person came and helped. I can't thank the manager enough for making the effort trying to figure out what my problem was and how he could help.

About the hotel: I loved the fact they have a free car park. The hotel is charming and rooms were clean and comfortable. Internet was good. I was afraid that a room facing the street would not be quiet; that was not the case. The atmosphere in the restaurant was very pleasant and the food good.

The bed was a bit soft though.

About the area: if you have never done a WWI tour, do so. I was overwhelmed with all of the British, Irish, Canadian, etc. etc. etc. cemeteries and monuments. All lovely. Pace yourself, though, one can only handle so much in one day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

A few years had elapsed since my last stay and it was an enthusiastic return to this hotel which is full of character. The rooms have been modernised since my last stay and they are comfortable and full of character. You really feel as though you are staying in France in this very individual and friendly hotel. The staff are very friendly and accomodating. The restaurant for an evening meal offers an exceptional menu and you have no need to look anywhere else for a superb meal...and a very good value meal too. We are regular visitors to the Somme region and battlefields and this hotel is exceptionally well situated. We will certainly return and have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

Room Tip: The rooms are not particularly large but this isn't worth worrying about as this hotel makes up...