“Very good hotel and very good food - centrrally located for exploring the Somme battlefields.”

Hotel de la Basilique
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Albert
Farnborough
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We booked this hotel on the strength of previous reviews in Tripadvisor, and were not disappointed. Very attentive and friendly staff, good food in the restaurant in the evenings, and a good continental breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I stayed here during a trip to the WW1 battlefields.
Staff were very lovely and accommodating.
Rooms although small were boutique, spotlessly clean and the beds comfortable.
Although doesn't seem much to look out as you come into reception/cafe behind lies more depth.
In the small restaurant to the rear of the ground floor was very pleasant and I enjoyed lovely food.
As I'm not a good coach traveller (which I'd been on all day) I felt very unwell but they staff were very accommodating in adapting their menu to please me.
I had no complaints at all. I would return.

Room Tip: There are stairs to rooms which you might want to bear in mind.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed here while visiting the WW I battlefields in the area. Staff were friendly and helpful, rooms clean and well laid out. There are no elevators so be prepared to carry your luggage up a flight or two of stairs. There is no hotel parking lot but parking is free on the street, it is tough to get a spot close to the hotel during the day but after 5 pm things open up.

The restaurant food was good, reasonably priced and there was English on the menu.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neil V
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We returned to this hotel after staying about 4 years ago. We had been impressed with the facilities and overall friendly and helpful attitude of the staff and were not disappointed this time. The rooms are well laid out, comfortable and tastefully decorated and there are facilities for making hot drinks, which we really appreciated as we often find that these are lacking in French hotels.
We were cycling around the World War 1 battlefields, and Albert is a great base for doing this. On seeing our cycles chained together outside the hotel on our first night, the owner actually brought them inside and then allowed us bring them through to the back garden, where they would be safe, for the rest of our stay.
As the food was so good, we ate at the hotel every night. The steaks in particular are to die for! Breakfast was a self service continental buffet, with plenty of choice of fresh foods.
We will certainly be returning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My friend an I stayed here as a central point to a short tour of the battlefields of The Somme. The location is excellent (town centre square) hence parking can be a little difficult. The hotel itself is a family run affair with staff having plenty of time for gustes. My basin plug was not working correctly and it was fixed promptly with little fuss. Wifi is excellent and the food is fine with a good menu and a fine selection of wines. Breakfast is a typical affair ...around 8 euros..perhaps on the expensive side.
Overall I would certainly stay again...I stayed there 20 years ago for the same reason and was similarly satisfied on that occasion also.!

Room Tip: Ask for a front room for a larger room ..or a back room for a quieter night!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank The_Red_SandyBack
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here while visiting the WW1 battlefields. The town of Albert is perfectly situation on the battlefield route and the Hotel de la Basilique is in a great location.

The reception was very efficient and friendly. The rooms have character and are clean and comfortable. I had a slight problem with one of my neighbors who had been smoking in his room. The hotel has a no-smoking policy and the owners spoke to him about this. The smell had unfortunately permeated to my room and the staff moved me to a new room without question.

They were wonderfully friendly about everything and I really appreciated this.

One of the best things about this hotel is the restaurant. I love food and I especially love French cuisine. The kitchen in this hotel serves a very busy little restaurant with fantastic food. Some of the items are marked as regional specialties made with local ingredients.

I would recommend anyone to be adventurous here. I had some wonderful dishes including smoked eel in cheese sauce, rabbit cooked in red wine and prunes, duck in honey - it was all too delicious for words. They have a variety of menus to choose from in order to maximize on your culinary adventure. The wine was also superb!

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and restaurant and if I was ever in Albert again, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The hotel was easy to find and made an excellent first impression owing to its location and appearance. The welcome we had was functional (the only thing that could have been improved) but from then on it was perfect.
Our room (9) was large,clean, nicely decorated and had a really comfy bed. The bathroom was big and both rooms had fantastic views of the basilica. The stairs are steep so be aware if mobility is an issue for you.
We found the location to be perfect for visiting WWI sites,and we would recommend the museum next to the basilica - superb guided tour, though only done in French. We also went to Amiens for the day, good shopping and a beautiful cathedral.
We ate twice at the hotel, lovely food and reasonably priced. There were other options in Albert for eating, we found a nice creperie near the town hall.
All in all, we would stay here again and would recommend this hotel.
Thank you!

• Stayed October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albert
Ibis Albert
#4 of 4 in Albert
#1 of 1 in Bapaume
Hotel Restaurant Le Prieure
Mercure Amiens Cathedrale

Been to Hotel de la Basilique? Share your experiences!