“Excellent food and service”
Review of Fishers

Fishers
Ranked #22 of 82 Restaurants in Burgess Hill
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fish and Chip Takeaway and Licensed Restaurant
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Really good haddock, chips and mushy peas. Service from staff in the restaurant is also very attentive and friendly. My new local favourite place for quality fish and chips.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I don't very often have fish and chips as I am always left feeling disappointed with the quality of the fish. However, my family had been out for the day and we didn't have time and couldn't be bothered to make a meal so we stopped off at Fishers on our way home for a take-a-way.

The menu was varied as you would expect and although we didn't order it, I noticed that Skate was available - not something many chippies offer ! Other delights included battered burgers and saveloys, and even good old spam fritters. The young man who served us was really pleasant and helpful, even though we changed our minds on the order twice AND asked for everything to be wrapped separately - nothing was too much trouble.

Everything (including the chips) was freshly cooked to order which meant waiting about ten minutes but I never mind waiting a little if the end result is worth the wait. The prices were let's say in the upper region for fish and chips but again, I'd always rather pay a bit extra for a really good meal, and fish and chips are already excellent value compared to other take-a-ways anyway.

And a really good meal is exactly what we got. The fish was amazingly fresh, I'd be hard pressed to believe that it hadn't been swimming in the sea that very morning ! The batter was just right too, not greasy but light and crispy, just how we like it. I can honestly say without hesitation that it was amongst the best fish I've ever eaten anywhere. The chips were still nice, but a little bit powdery however allowances must be made for the time of year and the quality of available potatoes.

I'd like to say that afterwards there were empty plates all round but due to the vast portions we simply could not eat it all - if we had known we might have been tempted to share portions (but I doubt it lol). Everyone agreed that the quality was first rate and it was a hugely enjoyable meal. Can't recommend highly enough, well done Fishers 10/10.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Having used FIshers for the past 20 years or so, I have always enjoyed the wonderful aroma of good fish and chips and the experience of genuine fish and chips fried in a traditional way. Before today I would have always recommended it to anyone and rated it as 5* - However, having been away from the UK for more than a year and once again anticipating some of the finest Fish and Chips around, when I retuned earlier this week I and my whole family (5 of us) were all totally dismayed to find the chips were thick and dry and appeared to have been part processed or perhaps even frozen?. They were simply not the high quality traditional chips we have loved so much and had for many many years.
I know the ownership of the shop has changed but had hoped the quality would have been maintained - alas it has not - what we were served with was no better than what you might expect to get in a cheap pub - tasteless, odorless, soft and dry.
Come on FIshers - you are supposed to be a traditional Fish and Chip shop - at least live up to that! After all these years I won't be returning - and luckily our town has other very good Fish and Chip shops which will now be gaining my custom

Lucy T, Owner at Fishers, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

We are very sorry you did not enjoy our chips during your recent visit to Fishers.
It is very unfortunate that you returned to the UK recently and visited Fishers whilst we had the worst potatoes yet, therefore we like to take this opportunity to explain to you the bad situation we and I'm sure some other businesses are facing at the moment with chipping potatoes.
As some people are aware due to prolonged wet weather last summer potatoes supplies are down by 25% on previous years. The situation is made worse by the fact, due to the prolonged and unusually cold and wet spring, the new main crop where very late being planted compared to previous years. We just all hope that the newly planted seed get the perfect growing conditions as we are all seeing very difficult and unusual circumstances.
Due to these circumstances good potatoes are few and far between and we are not guaranteed to get a consistent delivery of good potatoes from one week to the next.
There is also a notice in the customer waiting area from our potato supplier explaining the above for all to read.
Once again please accept our apologies and hope you will return soon when the new potatoes are available, we are being told late July.
Kind regards

Costas & Lucy Tantis

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We visit Fishers regularly, sometimes to eat in but mostly to take away and the quality is excellent. We always order large cod and always get a beautiful fillet fried to perfection. The staff are friendly and helpful.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I travel a lot with work so eat out a fair amount! I never find anywhere as good as my local chippy, so when I went to FIshers I was expecting the same fish with soggy batter and the usual old dried out chips. So it was a great surprise to find this is not the case. Everything was cooked in front of me and it was perfect, especially the fish and the portions were pretty big. There were a lot of people coming in so its probably quite a popular local place to eat. Basically the best fish I've had so I will definitely go there again if I am working in the area again.