“Not a 5 star!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sri Kembangan
Marbella
“Not a 5 star!”
Reviewed December 31, 2005

We checked out after 2 days as this is really not a five star hotel, our room was very dirty. I imagine this hotel was spectacular when it was first built unfortunately it´s neglected now and I would certainly not recommend it. Much better of in the city centre in the Marriott or Shangri-La hotel.

• Stayed December 2005
13 Thank Tracey-McLeod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 29, 2005

We thought it was excellent.We didn't want to be in the city. You can catch the train very easily and the hotel will drop you to the station. A great place to really relax. There was an ASEAN meeting going on at the time of our stay and as a result scarcely saw another soul. It was like we had the place to ourselves. The mines resort just a short water taxi ride across the lake. Would purposely miss the taxi to partake in a cocktail at the resort ( sister hotel) to take in the lake and music. You can charge back to Golden Horses. There is a shuttle bus provided by the hotel on the hour but the water taxi is nicer and cheap. The staff were most obliging and really went out of their way to make our stay special. My only small complaint would be the breakfast is not the best.We arrived at the Hotel after staying at the Singapore Shangri La. This is every bit as good but of course different

• Stayed February 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Shanghai, China
Reviewed September 29, 2004

This hotel was recommended to us by a Malay colleague of my husband's, and it was indeed a nice place. But next time I'm in Kuala Lumpur, I'll certainly stay at one of the hotels downtown (the Shangri-La, for instance). The rooms were nice, and the grounds are beautiful. It's just too far from anything. The lobby is impressive, and there's a golf course and horse race track right there. But definitely for those who don't want to be in the city---nor have any intention of going to the city.

13 Thank Shanghaisol
Herts, UK
Reviewed August 25, 2004

Over the last 10 years, I've stayed in a lot of hotels in Kuala Lumpur and its suburbs, so I consider myself well-versed with what is available here and what is expected from a 5* hotel (just re-read, this isn't supposed to sound smug, sorry!).

I'm not going to write a review which is simply a big downer on this hotel, but for me, the fact remains that it really did not rate with the best of the others.

I normally stay in the city - my favourites by the way are the Marriott and the Regent - so I did find this out of the way a little (and regularly wishing I could avoid the heavily congested roads to KL which change a 20 minute journey to well over an hour). My fault for choosing this location, not the hotels!

A few things didn't come up to scratch - reception for example were well under par. A number of the people I spoke to found it difficult to communicate confidently in English; and the reception was luke warm - the opposite of the confident, welcoming approach received at other hotels. This was the case throughout my three night stay. They also wanted to charge me a higher rate than was emailed to me and higher than the standard rate deal published on their website. This delayed me and I was made to feel as if I was trying to scam them.

Other things like the balcony doors being jammed, the minibar being empty, the shower going from hot to cold continually over the three days and the tv was not being tuned properly reduced the quality of the stay.

On a positive note, the rooms were large and attractively furnished, the food was good (but not great), I was allowed to check in early and it is part of the Mines complex, so 10 minutes from shops, water park etc.

I'm writing this as there is no review currently and if there had of been, perhaps I wouldn't have taken a chance with this hotel and stuck to the ones I know best.

Andrew

Palm Garden IOI Resort City
Dorsett Putrajaya
Dorsett Putrajaya
#6 of 9 in Putrajaya

Been to Palace of the Golden Horses? Share your experiences!