“Upset with unprofessional service - never going back if given the choice”

Palace of the Golden Horses
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sri Kembangan
Reviewed March 5, 2009

The room I stayed in this time was comfortable and cosy as usual. Full of horse-themed items which I find amusing. However the bidet in my toilet was leaking, and at the rate the hairdryer was working, my hair would probably only dry in 2 days. I asked for a replacement hairdryer unfortunately this huge hotel didn't have a single one but they did offer to send their technician. Not in the mood of having strangers hanging around in my bathroom at night, i relented to going to bed with wet hair.

Nevertheless, throughout my stay most of the staff were friendly and helpful, or so i thought. My nightmare began when I was checking out. One of the receptionist had made a mistake in communicating to me certain details regarding the hotel bill. The communication error had created a few problems for me, which would take quite some time to resolve, but I was ready to forgive and forget as i know at the end of the day I can take care of it anyway.

But what irked me the most was that the staff, in front of his manager, refused to confess that he had in fact communicated to me the wrong information, despite my repeated questioning to him the day before just to double check and confirm. I clearly remember asking more than once for confirmation, and he had given me incorrect information consistently.

What was even worse was the fact that the manager who came to 'help' solve the issue, had accused me of saying things that I did not say, apparently on how bad the hotel was. This was based on a short teleconversation he had with me the night before, when I rang up the front desk to get some information, which even had nothing to do with the issue at hand.

By this time I was very much upset that I had to waste so much time for an error caused by the hotel staff, and to add salt to the wound, have the manager conjure up stories to get his staff out of hot soup. I felt so insulted by the manager and consequently remarked that if he were to solve issues by resorting to bullying guests this way, no one would want to come back. It resulted in an apology, which I thought should have come a lot sooner.

Such a big spoiler, to an otherwise pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed February 27, 2009

Very spacious rooms which were probably considered high class about 15 years ago. The hotel feels dated and stuck in a time warp from about 15 years ago. Still has an old CRT TV and the bathroom fixtures were dated and dodgy. The complementary drink in the polo club lounge was non-Alcoholic only. The Fitness centre hasn't seen any upgrades or maintenance since it was built - this was particularly disappointing for me. Internet was also on the expensive side. Staff were friendly and service was OK.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2009

I was so excited to stay at GOlden Place, however, everything turn around at the moment i step to the hotel. What I can say is , don't be fool be the website and the appearance of it. it just not what it looks like. My first impression step out from taxi is...mmm..ok....but when i checked in, the staff so unfriendly, there was no welcoming, no greeting, he just ask ur passport, credit card and signature. I was surprise, It was means, personally i work at hospitality industry for few years, and for 5 stars hotels, it is very poor service from them. 3 star motals in australia are better and far more friendly that this reception guy. well, me and my friend were so tired and just want to lay on the bed, but guess what happened??? from the lobby to the room, it's like puzzle, turn right and lefft..(i wouldn't recomment someone to walk to her room by herself after have 1 or 2 drinks....u will get lost). We are freaking out when arrived in the room, it was smelly, we opened the windows for few hours, and it still smelly....my friend and i decide to buy spray room when go to convinient store. some furniture are broken. This hotels really need maintenance. The location is not convinient at all, it far from everywhere, the only transport u can get is taxi (if u miss the free shuttle from hotel). I really can't wait to get out from that hotel, I checked out early on the next day and move to other hotel (just opposite KL SENTRAL), very convinient, friendly, cost less too...i only fell the comfort in other hotel. THIS HOTEL is really not worth to spend night with the providing price. The only positive about this hotel is the conceirge , they really helpful. if u got any problem, go to conceirge desk, never go to reception.

Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank SummerO
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Our stay at the Palace was trully unforgettable, but for all the wrong reasons. Firstly check in was meant to be at 2pm but we had to wait till 5pm before we could get in our room. Food is over priced and we had problems charging the food & beverage bill to our room bill. The buffet food is not topped up. The hotel pool closes at 7pm. Several light bulbs in our room did not work. The reception staff have no grasp of customer service. (the conceirge on the other hand was very helpful). The hotel allows taxi touts to prey on unsuspecting tourist at its doorway. LAST BUT NOT LEAST... IT IS HAUNTED!!! Don't believe it? Go to room 5044 or 5042 between 1am to 3am. You'll see 2 female ghost, both looking beautiful but sad.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
50  Thank lhyen
Reviewed December 8, 2008

We stayed here on the 4th Floor. The staff smiled all the time and nothing was to much bother for them. We have stayed in 5 Star Hotels all over the world. But, nothing can compare to this hotel.

The rooms are large and very luxurious, so are the bathrooms they have every facility that you can think of. The breakfasts are self service, what a choice of everything you can think of on offer and the hot food is cooked to order.

We highly recommend this hotel for a Romantic Get away and for a relaxing holiday. Although this hotel is quite far out of KL taxes are cheap and there is a bus service complimentary of the hotel.

This hotel has everything that you would want on holiday, swimming pools there are many. Health suite mostly all comlimentary of the price already paid. Business centre. The facilites for business are excellent. Music in the evenings, there is live music everynight. There is also a classical piano bar. There are taxi boats taking you across the river to the Mall were you can shop until you drop, there is also an outdoor makets near the mall. We recommend this Hotel as the best hotel we have ever stayed in the world.

We hope to go back again soon.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank houtonbaylodge
Reviewed November 21, 2008

This is one of the best hotels we have stayed in in Malaysia.

Good Points- the whole place is like a palace .With a beautiful lobby, dining area, beautiful grounds, excellent waterways that leads to a themepark and another hotel, ts a five star hotel at its finest. The rooms are spacious and opens up to a view of the pool and a lake.

Negative-except that this hotel is quite far from the city, this is the best hotel in Malaysia. The hotel though provides a shuttle to the Bukit Bintang Area in Kuala Lumpur

Stayed: March 2004
3  Thank betty l
Reviewed October 28, 2008

This is a self contained resort. The food was good. We found it to be away from the hub of Kuala Lumpur. We attented a marriage party/reception with about 300 invitees. Quite a lot of invitees came down sick. There was something in the Hotel that made you sick. Everyone had the same symtoms. Cough,sore throat, fever etc. Some required professional help from the Doctor.

I personally think it was the airconditioning ducts (not cleaned) and the carpeting in the rooms. It was dirty.

This is the top of the line resort in Kuala Lumpur but I would not stay here.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
#2 of 11 in Sri Kembangan
Putrajaya Shangri-La
Putrajaya Shangri-La
#3 of 9 in Putrajaya

Been to Palace of the Golden Horses? Share your experiences!