“Lake, Boat Ride, That's About It”

Palace of the Golden Horses
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sri Kembangan
Selangor Darul Ehsan
“Lake, Boat Ride, That's About It”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Had a short weekend stay at the Palace of the Golden Horses (POTGH), Seri Kembangan.

The hotel has really nice Moroccan, Middle Eastern and Malaysia feel, however the inside is occupied with the horses. Many of them around, seriously everywhere, except the swimming pool, jetty, gymnasium, perhaps.

Check in counter seems to be empty most of the time. But I believe the front desk has the CCTV and the personnel will attend whenever there is someone approaching the counter.

We stayed on level 1 or rather the ground floor of the hotel, guess it is on the side of the swimming pool, garden view.

The room is spacious but not really clean. We saw leftover water bottles, chicken bones, peanuts in the room.

The balcony is large but empty.

Unlike most of the 4 stars, 5 stars hotels, this 6 stars hotel is lacking on signage as well as places for anyone to walk about. It one loves to walk and explore the beautiful view of the surrounding, good luck.

On the second might staying at POTGH, the room roof began to leak, with clear water then turned into dark chocolate liquid. Ok, you probably would have guessed what that may have been. Yep, we suspected sewerage too.

The hotel offered us a room change, however, it was already approaching 10pm and we were really tired, so we stayed on.

The leaking sort of stop in the morning. Maybe someone above us stopped.

Without any mode of transport (e.g. car, or car rental), this hotel is far from many things. There is a shopping mall (MINES) next to it, but not walking distant. If you love horses, there is turf club next door, again not walking distant.

The amenities provided in the room are all basic items one would required when on holiday or business. However, the horse shaped shampoo bottles are really hard to squeeze. The rest of the items, really giving one ever needed.

For the room lighting, if one needs serious working light, then there is none. The room is generally quite dark.

Well finally, the choice is yours.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
PGHMines, Manager at Palace of the Golden Horses, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Warmest greeting from Palace of the Golden Horses!

First and foremost, please accept my sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience recently. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and am very sorry that the services rendered not up to our expectation.

Once again, our sincere apologies and we hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, the hotel will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel sometime in the near future.

Regards,
Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Palace of the Golden Horses for a week in January via RCI, and we really had a good time. The staff was very friendly and professional the whole week, from the reception to the repair man (one of the toilets was running, it was repaired within half an hour f.i.). We where upgraded to a suite, which was very spacious; it had a large bathroom and a smaller one (with another toilet); I read some remarks regarding the furniture; the furniture is not a modern style. I assume it is Malaysian style, but it was good and functional, no complaints. We went to the Japanese restaurant twice; very good food, a main course for USD 12, on Saturday a wonderful buffet for USD 20; by the way, a lunch or dinner in one of the many restaurants in The Mines costs USD 1,5 to 5. The swimming pool was fine, during the week it was quiet, in the weekend it was crowded, but if you get there before ten, you have a bed (although there is space for more beds...). The horse races are across the road; we went there on a Sunday; it was quite an experience to see the crowd cheering and yelling, even to the televisions, when a race in Macau was going on (won USD 150, I bet on the horse with the nicest name, Great Tiger).
There are shuttles to The Mines and to Kuala Lumpur City Center a couple of time a day; KLLC really is the center of KL. We were disappointed in the prices in the shopping malls, though: European prices. I had to go last week to Washington and visited Leesburg Premium Outlet, much better deals there.
Overall we can recommend this hotel; we have already booked another week next year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
PGHMines, Manager at Palace of the Golden Horses, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Warmest greeting from Palace of the Golden Horses!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Palace of the Golden Horses. We appreciate your positive comment about overall stay experience and believe that it is only through guest feedback that we are able to continue to improve on our services and facilities. Once again thanks for sharing your feedback on our services, room accomodation, facilities and the foods.

Lastly, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future if you're in Malaysia.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I needed a place to stay in this area of KL, for a holiday on which I would primarily be alone and taking it easy for a week. Having seen KL a few times before, proximity to the city centre was not on my priority list but I did want a peaceful, comfortable, well appointed room, good food, enough to do in the local area to keep me amused, a gym, a pool and friendly, efficient service.

I was quite concerned about the terrible reviews I had read on TA about this place and certainly didn’t want to end up with 3 star service, discoloured water in the shower or a dirty room, but the price that Agoda was offering at the time of my booking was very attractive. So I popped an email off to the hotel and, incidentally did the same with a few other hotels in the area, mentioning the reviews I had seen on TA and asking for a comment.

A number of the places I emailed didn’t even bother responding, others did but took their time about it and were not able to give me any assurances, however Florence at the Palace of the Golden Horses responded straight away and assured me that I would have a great room and that the hotel facilities would be up to scratch. So on that basis I booked.

Arrival and check in was an efficient process, the two girls at reception were having a bit of a hard time, with a number of other customers trying to get their attention while they were dealing with me, but to their credit they handled the situation professionally. My bas were whisked to my room and on seeing it, any apprehension I may have had dissolved completely. The room was one of the hotel’s refurbished rooms and I am wondering if my initial enquiry had played a part in securing the nicer room for me.

It was very spacious, the bed, which could have accommodated 5 was very comfortable, the internet was fast, the view, whilst not spectacular was perfectly acceptable. My room was on the 8th floor and overlooked KL city. Above all it was quiet, no noise from traffic or housekeeping so I was easily able to catch up on much needed sleep. The bathroom was magnificent, marble everywhere, a separate bath and rain shower with consistently temeratured, correctly coloured, water.

The hotel was not very busy, I had the bar, the gym and the pool to myself most days and for me this was ideal as it was relaxing and peaceful.

Food in the main restaurant was good enough and I ate there a few times when I could not be bothered to go out, however it is not a super high class gourmet restaurant, but it does the trick.

All the staff I met were friendly, hospitable and helpful, even when they didn’t know the answer, they would go out of their way to ask their colleagues and find out. Personally I am always very jovial and friendly with hotel staff and I believe that pays off in spades as when you are polite and friendly that feeling is reciprocated. The resident Band, Dee Angels, comprising the talented Jane, Nans and Paul were wonderful. On a number of occasions there was just me and 3 or 4 other people in the bar and they were very happy to chat and perform requests. As I write they are just doing a rather nice rendition of ABBA’s I have a dream!

In terms of things to do at the hotel itself, there is not much apart from the Spa, swimming and the gym, but those were all great. A full body massage in the spa was reasonably priced and well executed.

The hotel runs a free shuttle bus service to KLCC and the nearby Mines Mall a few times a day, I used these services on a number of occasions and it makes it very easy to access a world of shopping at the local Mines area and a universe of shopping and entertainment in the city. The city drop off point it right outside the Pentronas towers and it only takes about 30 mins to get there, so really there are no worries about getting into the city if you want to.

There is also a boat service that takes 5 mins to get over to the sister hotel, the Mines Wellness hotel. I really enjoyed the boat trip and paid the 8 RM to do it rather than take the free shuttle on a number of occasions and from the hotel it then only takes a further 5 mins to walk to the shopping centre, which is a large modern 5 story affair with all the brands and restaurants you would expect, along with a multi screen cinema.

I had a great time here, relaxing, taking it easy, enjoying sleep, a little action in the city, swimming, massages, exercise, walking, great clothes shopping and diversity of foods in the local shopping centre. In a week I was never bored and would quite happily stay here again for a relaxing, restful break either on my own or as a couple.

Room Tip: See if you can get a refurb room, I didnt see an older one but the refurb ones are lovely
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Warmest Greetings from Palace of the Golden Horses!

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay here with us.

We are delighted that your experience during your stay here with us at the Palace Of The Golden Horses had lived up to your expectations and we would like to take this opportunity to express our heartfelt thanks for your feedback.

Once again, thank you for your support and patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back to Palace Of The Golden Horses.

Best regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I had a buffet lunch at the Carousel around Jan. Nice settings, I love the different types of horses, feel like I'm in fairyland. Food selection was OK. The dessert corner (my favourite) totally met my expectations, especially those rich chocolate cakes! Yummy. Will definitely return for the desserts.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
PGHMines, Manager at Palace of the Golden Horses, responded to this review, February 5, 2014

Best regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I have a special arrangement via the hotel over the weekend with my partner.

The dinner setting inside the suite was impressive. The team did well. The food we pre-order was ok because it the vegetable and fish was very salty. The mushroom soup was nice but it's cold.

The only disappointment was during check in and the fruits basket was sent to us a complimentary.

Thank god with the new top management team, they are really looking and doing something on all the guests feedback and hopefully in my next return more compliments than negative feedback.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
PGHMines, Manager at Palace of the Golden Horses, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Warmest Greetings from Palace of the Golden Horses!

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay here with us. We believe that it is only through guest feedback that we are able to continue to improve on our services and facilities.

At the same time, we would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay with us. Nevertheless, I’ve personally taken time to discuss on the food quality and front desk services to the department heads concern, to measure and focus on providing memorable experiences for all guest in the Palace of the Golden Horses.

Once again, our apologies for the inconveniences and we thank you for your support and patronage. Lastly, we look forward to welcoming you to Palace Of The Golden Horses in the near future.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Cons:
we ordered room service food. for an average of RM32/plate (malay food) and RM45/plate (western style) foods were lousy, tasteless and overcooked. the fries that came with the western meal was cold. realised the price tag were overcharged, with lousy food quality, totally felt ripped-off.
the swimming pool indicates that it was not properly maintained, as i can see algae growing on side of the pool slides and pool. some of the tiles are loose and can be dangerous, if stumble on.
RM18/adult for boat ride to Mine Shopping Centre is way too expensive. Should be FREE for hotel guest.

Pros:
Room ambience is awesome. I believed this is supported by proper maintenance plans. Soft and comfortable mattress and pillows. Clean bathroom.

wouldn't hurt if the flat screen samsung TV is bigger :)

Room Tip: travel of of Hotel, to near by restaurant. You may get better food at definitely, cheaper price.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank SyahidaIsmail
PGHMines, Manager at Palace of the Golden Horses, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Warmest Greetings from Palace of the Golden Horses!

At the same time, we would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay. Rest assured, this is not standard of service that the hotel is renowned for and I have taken the time to personally discuss the issues highlighted with the team members, ensuring the team focus on providing memorable experiences for all guests in the Palace of the Golden Horses.

Once again, our apologies for the inconvenience caused and we thank you for your support and patronage. We look forward to welcoming you to Palace Of The Golden Horses.

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed January 7, 2014

if you are tourist, and would like to see as much as possible it is not the right choice for you! But the hotel is impressive, our room was in the refurbished part, and the the rooms was amazing, with a huge bathroom with rainshower, they have a free shuttle bus to KL but it was always full so book it well advance

Room Tip: go for the refurbished rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lomexito
PGHMines, Manager at Palace of the Golden Horses, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Warmest Greetings from Palace of the Golden Horses!

At the same time, we have taken note your feedback on shuttle services and working towards to improve it for providing memorable experiences for all guests in the Palace of the Golden Horses.

Once again, our apologies for the inconvenience caused and we thank you for your support and patronage. At the same time we look forward to welcoming you to Palace Of The Golden Horses.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sri Kembangan
Cyberview Resort & Spa
Cyberview Resort & Spa
#1 of 5 in Cyberjaya
Palm Garden IOI Resort City

Been to Palace of the Golden Horses? Share your experiences!