“A fine stay and fine start to our honeymoon”
Review of Possums Apartments

Possums Apartments
Possums Apartments
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at the Possums Spa Apartments in the Spa Apartment on Monday 16/09/13. First thing to note was quite a steep road up to the place, followed by an dirt/rock road to Possums. Was not a problem for us as we had an AWD.

Greeted by Don promptly, we were shown our spa room. It had a bedroom with small kitchenette and a large, tiled bathroom with spa central. The spa bath itself is quite luxurious, although my wife thought it to be a tad dirty. A portable heater is provided to keep you warm.

We went to the pub/restaurant down the road, and we walked which was a little harder coming back - but the views at night are great! Was not impressed with the pub food, and gave us a bit of gas during the night.

Reading the reviews here I was not certain what to expect, although I did book the place. I was pleasantly surprised, and my wife was overall happy with the stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank St3yr

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I like the seclusion of this place, yes the driveway is steep but our i20 rental made it fine and the owner said if it was struggling we could park in his private driveway. It took 2 seconds to get to the bridge which takes you over to the city. I think if you want 5* go and pay for it, but if you are happy with a cute little cottage just outside the city then this is great.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Very relaxed and peaceful. Room was very pleasant. Bathroom and spa was lovely. The negative reviews I have read are completely misleading, yes there is a steep driveway but I had no trouble driving my commodore station wagon up the hill with no wheel spin and turning it around at the top. As for critters, possums is adjacent to bush land and if the apartments were sealed sufficiently to keep the ants, spiders and bugs out then you would probably die of asphyxiation. I saw one fly and one small spider... Big deal. The kettle, microwave and fridge are indeed kept in a cupboard, I brought my own wine glasses but there was no need as wine glasses were provided. A breakfast basket of cereal and bread for toasting awaited our arrival and tea, coffee, and milk provided.... Chai tea!! Perfect. I have given the service a 5 although we were only greeted, shown our apartment and told to leave the key on the bed and shut the door when we leave I felt this casual unobtrusive attitude was really nice. The TV is indeed 42" and the reception was fine. The heater was more than sufficient as I had to turn it off in the middle of the night as I was too warm.... In the middle of winter. Outstanding value for money and would recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank The_Staceys_2
Reviewed July 11, 2013

When we arrived, we were surprised to find that it is off a main road, up a shared dirt road, with a really steep driveway (Our car had issues getting up it and looking around, we are not the only ones). Once we got up to the top of the driveway, we went to reception to find that no one was there (No note, no nothing). We rang the doorbell to no avail and after 5-10 minutes we decided to ring them. The person on the other end of the phone seemed surprised and came to the front door (Why she didn’t just answer the door bell I have no clue). When she arrived, she seemed surprised and mentioned that her husband had not written our reservation down in the book even though we had made the reservation 2 weeks prior. After a brief back and forward with the woman, we were lead to The Honeymoon Suite.

Once we arrived, we were surprised to find that the ‘luxury’ room was a tiny one room apartment with a bathroom around the same size as the bedroom. The suite was modern, if you class modern as having a 20 year old dust filled heater and a 10 year old couch and metal surfaces everywhere, making the room very cold at night even with the heater on.

Let’s talk about the main room:

- The TV had rabbit ears and reception was spotty at best.
- The ‘heater’ was a small wall heater that was in need of a good clean (We noticed that when we looked through the vents of the heater that there was an extremely thick layer of dust. It looked like the dust had been there for years and had never been cleaned.)
- The couch was an old, uncomfortable 2 seater that you had to put pillows on to sit in comfortably.
- The “King Size Bed” was nothing but 2 beds put side by side. The mattresses were incredibly hard and we could not get a decent sleep on them at all.
- The finishing on the room was awful as some of the electrical work looks like it was done by someone who has no electrical knowledge at all. Behind my wife’s side of the bed was a hole in the wall (Looked like it was done with a hammer and a screwdriver) with some cables snaking into the wall. I do not know where the cables go, or why they were there but it looked really cheap and hazardous. In addition, one of the power points above where the glasses were (A steel shelf) looked out of place. On closer inspection, was only screwed to the wall with one screw and the hole behind it was much larger than it needed to be.

Now let’s move onto the bathroom

- The bathroom was large but the shower and spa are in one unit. The spa itself works great and is a plus, although a tad bit small but there is no shower curtain which means water gets everywhere when you have a shower.
- The extraction fan is nowhere near adequate. When having a warm shower, the room would fog up within a minute or two even with the fan on. You could open a small window to allow some of the steam to vent, but anyone walking up could see right in on you having a shower.

Our Stay:

The provisions for the first morning’s breakfast included 4 slices of bread with parsley on top and butter. This would have been great, except for the fact that someone (Either previous occupants or the owners) had turned the fridge down to 0, essentially turning it off. When we got up the next morning, the butter was totally melted and was useless.

On the up side, however, the suite was secluded, if you don’t count the other suite attached to The Honeymoon Suite. There were no views from anywhere and a horrible small balcony. In the suite there is a door that leads onto the ajoining suites balcony. This is fine except for what happened on the night before we left. We were watching TV when someone had the bright idea to stand out on the balcony and have a cigarette. I do not have a problem with this as it is their choice, but after a minute or two, the person’s cigarette smoke came flowing into our room causing my wife and I to go into coughing fits.

The Checkout:

The checkout was pretty easy. When we were packed, we went to the front door to find no-one was home. We rang the number, got diverted to a mobile and were told to leave the key under the doormat. Done, quick and easy.

Final thoughts:

The room is ok if all you are looking for is a room that you sleep in for a few hours then go out for the day but for anything more than that (Like actually using the room) is useless. The location is brilliant as it is close to a lot of things but a downside is to the access to get to the suites is horrible unless you have a 4WD, even on the shallower driveway for The Honeymoon Suite.

One final thing, which is a major point for me writing this review, is the security. While I was on my way up to Possum Spa Apartments, I read up on some reviews on the internet and one caught my eye:

“Nice enough but advertising a bit misleading” posed on September 20, 2012 by OzTravelNurse

“I have a very big problem with this place however in that adjoining the Bayview Suite is the honeymoon suite. So I found out (the owners told me themselves after I requested to move to a spa suite) but the key to my room also opens the door to the honeymoon suite!!!”

I was sceptical so the first night when we arrived I decided to give it a try. The Honeymoon Suite key opens the door of the “Bayview Suite” and vice versa. I find this to be unacceptable as one would expect a basic level of security when they are leaving some stuff while they go out on a day trip.

So all in all, I would recommend finding somewhere else to stay as The Honeymoon Suite is not worth the money. You can get better places for the same price, with better security and that is what we will be doing next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Karl H
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We have just finished a 3 night stay in the Potters spa suite and we can highly recommend it. The host greeted us on arrival, was very friendly and helpful with recommendations of things to see and local restaurants. The room was lovely and comfortable and the king bed super comfy. The massive spa was excellent and the champagne on arrival a lovely treat. The breakfast provisions served us nicely for the three days and the self-contained kitchenette provided everything we could want and more.
We have travelled a lot and have experienced many different accommodations from 5 star hotels though to camping and Possums was great value for money, very comfortable and such a peaceful getaway. We hardly saw or heard a soul in the three days we were there. It felt very private and secluded and we didn't need to bother the hosts (or them us) after check-in - exactly what you want from a B&B. We would definitely come back again. Thank you for a delightful Hobart getaway.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed in the "honeymoon suite" it was very clean modern and tidy, the bathroom was lovely. Our room did have a coffee machine, but no coffee, I'm not sure if you were expected to purchase your own. I did expect more for a honeymoon suite but it suited us fine as we were there for only one night. I liked the location away from the city but only 10 minutes into Hobart. Yes the driveway was very steep and slippery when wet, and the only views you could get was at the bottom of the driveway and down a little. If I was to stay again would go for the honeymoon suite as it sounds better than the other reviews of the other rooms.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The possums apartments experience was terrible. It was nothing like the pictures on their website. I was going to book through Wotif but decided to call the owner Don direct. He recommended the Potters spa suite for me and my daughter. I asked about the complimentary offer on Wotif of a bottle of champagne. He said that he would include this. I gave my credit card details and he deducted the money straight away even though I was booking a month in advance. I was surprised at this but at the time did not take issue.

My daughter and I were devastated when we arrived as had been so looking forward to our first visit to Tassie. The cabins are all in very close proximity to each other so no sense of privacy and the potters is right adjacent to the hosts residence. The whole time we never sighted the owners and our only contact was via my phone. The space was so poky and no views at all and as suggested on the website. To see the view you would need to walk down the very steep driveway and down the road a bit. The pictures on the website also had a coffee machine which was non existent when we arrived.

When I called the hosts later in the afternoon to discuss how misrepresented the accomodation was and would we at least be able to get a partial refund as my daughter and I would have to find alternative accomodation. We were told there is a no refund policy. We were told that they were intending to provide a bottle of champagne and that the coffee machine pictured had broken the week before. We stayed/endured for two nights but never saw the champagne.

There was much evidence that the hosts are cheapskates and not prepared to provide anything but the mere basics. I found the female host Nola to be so defensive and not at all taking on board what I was saying. I mean to say if they said they were going to have a bottle of wine then how much effort is that. When we first arrived I phoned as they were not there and Nola said they were out but had left the door open.

As well the spa bath leaked badly and the towels had a dreadful musty smell. The outside area was filthy and the gardens badly needing attention. The feeling driving up the steep driveway was one of losing traction and the tiniest parking area. Any sense of privacy gone.
I felt really ripped off due to the misrepresentation and even tempted to take further.

As well there was a real sense of isolation from Hobart. We ended up booking into a hotel using the mystery wotif deal and finished our visit to Tassie at the Hobart Mercure [for a fraction of the cost of Possums]. Yes it was a bit more noisy down in the city but I slept so much better in cleaner and comfortable surrounds and first class staff and so nice to be able to walk anywhere in the city. I will say though that I loved Hobart and the people of Tassie. Just a shame about the accomodation issues but will know better next time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank ChrissyB B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lindisfarne
Beltana Hotel-Motel
Beltana Hotel-Motel
#2 of 2 in Lindisfarne
Discovery Parks - Mornington Hobart
Orana House Heritage Bed & Breakfast

Been to Possums Apartments? Share your experiences!