“Never again”
Review of Possums Apartments

Possums Apartments
Possums Apartments
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The possums apartments experience was terrible. It was nothing like the pictures on their website. I was going to book through Wotif but decided to call the owner Don direct. He recommended the Potters spa suite for me and my daughter. I asked about the complimentary offer on Wotif of a bottle of champagne. He said that he would include this. I gave my credit card details and he deducted the money straight away even though I was booking a month in advance. I was surprised at this but at the time did not take issue.

My daughter and I were devastated when we arrived as had been so looking forward to our first visit to Tassie. The cabins are all in very close proximity to each other so no sense of privacy and the potters is right adjacent to the hosts residence. The whole time we never sighted the owners and our only contact was via my phone. The space was so poky and no views at all and as suggested on the website. To see the view you would need to walk down the very steep driveway and down the road a bit. The pictures on the website also had a coffee machine which was non existent when we arrived.

When I called the hosts later in the afternoon to discuss how misrepresented the accomodation was and would we at least be able to get a partial refund as my daughter and I would have to find alternative accomodation. We were told there is a no refund policy. We were told that they were intending to provide a bottle of champagne and that the coffee machine pictured had broken the week before. We stayed/endured for two nights but never saw the champagne.

There was much evidence that the hosts are cheapskates and not prepared to provide anything but the mere basics. I found the female host Nola to be so defensive and not at all taking on board what I was saying. I mean to say if they said they were going to have a bottle of wine then how much effort is that. When we first arrived I phoned as they were not there and Nola said they were out but had left the door open.

As well the spa bath leaked badly and the towels had a dreadful musty smell. The outside area was filthy and the gardens badly needing attention. The feeling driving up the steep driveway was one of losing traction and the tiniest parking area. Any sense of privacy gone.
I felt really ripped off due to the misrepresentation and even tempted to take further.

As well there was a real sense of isolation from Hobart. We ended up booking into a hotel using the mystery wotif deal and finished our visit to Tassie at the Hobart Mercure [for a fraction of the cost of Possums]. Yes it was a bit more noisy down in the city but I slept so much better in cleaner and comfortable surrounds and first class staff and so nice to be able to walk anywhere in the city. I will say though that I loved Hobart and the people of Tassie. Just a shame about the accomodation issues but will know better next time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank ChrissyB B

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Having stayed at the possum apartments I would have to say that I would agree with those that wouldn't go back. I'm not too sure what those who liked it were smoking or possibly if they need the assistance of a seeing eye dog.

Upon arrival we are horrified to find a near vertical incline that the rental car had extreme problems getting up,slipping on the gravel. Trying to park in the areas allocated is a joke our car was on 3 wheels trying to get into the area it was suppose to be in.

The hosts seemed to be friendly enough, we arrived early thinking we could drop our bags off and go explore the town. The host was home (which seems to be a rarity judging from other reviews) cleaning the rooms prior to our arrival. We weren't able to drop off our bags merely told our room wasn't ready - ok we thought we will just go sight seeing until we can come back.

Upon return i am not actually sure what was cleaned, the bed sheets were dirty and the towel on the bed was hiding a green stain on the sheets. The toilet had dried fescues on the lid, the bathtub had pubic hair left from the last person who had a bath, the shower had left over plastic protectors from razor blades in the bottom not to mention random bits of god knows what, the towels had crusted bits of who knows. Oh and if you think you can roll down the blinds... Dead bug bodies squashed and left on the rollers, oh and a mystery wet match on the floor that we didn't want to know what it was or how it got there.

If you think your getting a cupboard to put your clothes- think again that's your kitchen, a bar fridge with milk (it's powdered not real) some bowls, kettle and toaster. If you think your getting a continental breakfast your sadly mistaken cornflakes and bread with some jam (only enough for 1 night even though we were staying 4) No eggs or bacon (not that you could cook it in your cupboard space) the bathroom is also your prep space for meals yes that's right you can cook your toast and shower at the same time.

The shower has only two settings freezing cold or boiling hot you can't turn on the cold water and hot at the same time otherwise it cancels out and you end up frozen underneath a shower head that keeps on flopping down.

Not to mention the room adjoins to the owners whom you can hear walking around and chatting at night and from the bed I can look straight into the suite next to me and see its guests, if they were to get intimate you could hear them (and see them if they didn't put down the roller blinds)

The view they say you get is not of the bay but of trees and houses. This is not a place I would recommend unless your cheap and have no standards.

The location is its only saving grace being close to all the amenities and attractions.

I would have to say I wanted to leave the first night we got in but looking up the reviews knew that if we did we weren't going to get any money back even though the place is sub standard and nothing like what it is described to be.

It would not be a place I recommend to anyone. I would run screaming if offered the choice again. I suggest you do the same.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

Room Tip: The location is good in the sense it's close to everything, the driveway is an absolute nightmar...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Skye R
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Ideal for Hobart And reasonably priced for such good quality rooms. Possums is on the other side of the bridge but you can be in the city in 10 minutes. Don is a really friendly host and our room was excellent. Nothing seemed too much trouble and we wish we had stayed there instead of the city on arrival instead of being our last stop after touring the island.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed in the "honeymoon suite". It was comfortable and clean. However because the temperature at night was cooler, we used the fan heater to keep the room warm. Unfortunately the fan was very noisy and on a quick look through the grill (not even a close look) the fan motor and blade was coated with thick dust. This is a potential for a fire. Another downside was the TV and lack of reception. There were 'rabbit ears' as part of a amplifier as the TV aerial. This meant that reception was often lost and became a frustrating feature if trying to see what the weather was going to be like the next day or so, or simply to have some entertainment. Again no internet was available, although one unsecured WiFi connection did show up it would not connect to the internet.

I can also confirm the other comments about the steep driveways to the units, and no place to turn, so that meant backing down onto a dirt shared drive which was only one car wide. This meant driving to the end of the drive and then doing a three point turn to turn the car around.
Finding the place was not easy, especially as our GPS (not an issue for the owners) pointed us down to the other end of the road and would not find the crescent variant. However even having found the street the sign to the units was small and easily missed.

Once found, I went to the Office to book in, and no one there. I walked around and could not find anyone. I spoke to another couple who were staying there, and was told that we weren't the first to arrive with no one in the office. The office door did have a notice to ring if no one was there, good if you have a cellphone or access to a phone. Luckily I was able to get enough charge into the cell phone and ring the number ( a not insignificant cost being an international roaming cost), and spoke to the owner who came down to show us to the unit. The owner is very welcoming, it is just a pity that they seem not to be organised to greet people on their arrival.

As for any view, forget it unless some scrawny trees pass for a view. The view in the photo can be seen from the intersection at the start of the street, absolutely not from the unit.

On the positive side the unit came complete with sufficient bread, tea, butter, jam and muesli for the 2 days we were there. It is quiet although you do hear the local wildlife (not people) but of course that is expected and not a detraction, to the contrary it adds to the ambience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davec50
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

It is a great regret in which I only had the time to stay one night!

The spa suite bathrooms are simply divine! Its always a bonus when two people can comfortably stay in a spa together!

And I love the cute little breakfast baskets!

So close to everything and yet you feel miles away!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Joel M
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed at Possum's Spa in a "Bayview Suite" with the advertising on wotif.com proclaiming sensational views across Lindisfarne Bay. Well, upon arrival I quickly found that was garbage. Maybe once upon a time but now there is certainly a very obscured view of a tiny piece of the bay if you are standing out on the balcony and looking at an angle. Otherwise it's pretty much just trees. Nevertheless I was only planning on sleeping there, nothing else so it didn't too much matter. Oh and whilst I think of it, I hope you have a 4WD because the driveway is shocking!!

The bed was the highlight of the room, King size, lots of bedding, clean, plenty of pillows and a nice electric blanket which worked overly well. However it is needed given the heater in the room could do with an upgrade. The room itself was clean, nicely appointed bathroom, comfortable couch, two tv's (although the reception was poor, something the owners don't seem to have addressed judging by previous reviews).

I have a very big problem with this place however in that adjoining the bayview suite is the honeymoon suite. So I found out (the owners told me themselves after I requested to move to a spa suite) but the key to my room also opens the door to the honeymoon suite!!! Really NOT acceptable I think and no excuse for it whatsoever. This as far as I am concerned equates to a huge breach in the privacy and security of customers staying there.

Overall the place is ok especially given I only paid $110 a night being off peak season. However, at its rack rate of $150 a night I think it is normally overpriced and the owners need to focus on giving some value added touches especially given the lack of a bay view as advertised. Perhaps providing some of the beautiful produce that Tasmania has upon check in would be a great idea.

Final word, if you're just looking for a place to sleep this is good enough, out of the way of traffic noise and city lights and a good comfortable bed. However if you will be spending a bit of time in your room I would probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank OzTravelNurse
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Out of the way but very comfortable. Once we found the place, got use to the steep drive and bumpy road we enjoyed our stay. Great views looking out over the bay across to Hobart which is an easy 15 min drive away. On the right side of the river to visit Port Arthur & Richmond, both must see destinations. Host welcoming on arrival and left us to ourselves, not at all intrusive but at hand if needed.Worth the climb up the hill.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mistyblue14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lindisfarne
Beltana Hotel-Motel
Beltana Hotel-Motel
#2 of 2 in Lindisfarne
Discovery Parks - Mornington Hobart
Orana House Heritage Bed & Breakfast

Been to Possums Apartments? Share your experiences!