I had the pleasure of staying at this lodge for 3 nights. The lodge bills itself as being a Responsible Tourism project. Recycled materials were used in the construction of the lodge. Hot water is provided by solar panels. Biodegradable soaps are used. Minimum lighting is used at light to minimize the impact on the surrounding forest and lights are turned off in the public areas at 10pm.
The rooms are basic and pleasant. The bed was very comfortable and I slept like a rock! Another reviewer mentioned that noise can carry because the windows are screened with shutters. Also, one person in our group had trouble sleeping because of the Common Pauraques vocalizing most of the night. This is a nocturnal bird whose sounds I found soothing, somewhat reminding me of the sounds of Whip-poor-wills as a kid. If you're sensitive to sounds, just pack some ear plugs.
While the accommodations are fine, the food is the star here. They bill the food as Tropical Costa Rican Fusion using local produce as much as possible. They offer one fixed menu for each meal, but can accommodate special diets with advance notice (one in our group was vegetarian). Every meal was exceptional. I'm a bit of a fussy eater, but found myself being a member of the clean plate club here!
The only minor annoyance was some tiny ants trailing from the bathroom to the shelving in the bedroom. They got into our toiletry bags. After sifting through our things outside, we wiped the shelves with insect repellant and had no further problems.
The grounds are beautifully maintained and you'll want to take time to explore the area. It's also a great place for birding and wildlife! Don't know what you're seeing? No problem since they have various books available so you can easily figure out if you're seeing a Keel-billed Toucan or Black-mandibled Toucan...or if you don't care, you can just call them Flying Bananas!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Celeste Mountain Lodge is a responsible tourism establishment, located in Bijagua de Upala, the door to the Volcano Tenorio National Park and its amazing Rio Celeste (Blue River). An authentic rural area, of great natural beauty, with lots of forest and lots to do, yet so accessible! Celeste Mountain Lodge is unique for its concept and profound sustainable philosophy, its innovations, its details and original decoration, comtemporary architecture in minimalist style integrated in the environment. Surrounded by primary rainforest and hosting its own trail, you will be impressed by its fauna and flora, excellent birdwatching, impressive views onto 2 volcanoes, own own Cuisine fusion and our friendly service, casual, warm and efficient. Share a vision of the world and tourism with ethics, refined simplicity, personality, peace and nature in an unforgettable place... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Celeste Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Celeste Mountain Hotel Bijagua De Upala
- Celeste Mountain Lodge Costa Rica/Bijagua De Upala