We stayed one night at Heliconias Lodge in one of the cottages on April Fools Day 2013. Our main interest in this area was to hike the Rio Celeste. We arrived early one morning and it was no problem for us to check in and bring our luggage to the cottage, even though check-in was later in the afternoon. The unpaved road from Bijagua to the lodge is quite bumpy, but we had a 4x4, which served well. The lodge is located in beautiful mountains with a great view. After our hike we went back to the lodge and took advantage of the hour long hike on their property. The pathway of the hike is nice and soft and it was an AMAZING hike! There are three hanging bridges along the hike that are well over 100 feet in the air, and you’re basically walking through the top parts of all of the forest trees. This lodge is owned by 23 local families co-op style and that was obvious by the way the place was organized. There were few guests at the time and when we were ready for dinner we walked in and there seemed to be no one present, so we went to the back kitchen area to find out if we could order dinner. Someone came out with some menus and served us. It was a causal atmosphere with children running around and playing, it felt quite relaxed and homey. The food was decent, not extravagant or an extensive menu. The cottage was quite nice, but had a few issues. Because they are aiming to conserve energy, all of the lighting was very dim (eco-bulbs). Also, they had a large Jacuzzi bathtub, but the bath-stopper would not go down and the jets didn’t work in the tub. It took quite some time to fill the tub up, and then it didn’t work, which was a little disappointing. Overall, Heliconias Lodge is a very nice place. The weather in that area of Costa Rica is nice, not too hot or too cold, and I would recommend this place to others who are looking for a private, no frills place where you can support the local community.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Heliconias Lodge and Rainforest a magnificent unspoilt tropical destination set in the foothills of Tenorio Volcano close to Rio Celeste in Northern Costa Rica. Located between Miravalles Volcano and Tenorio Volcano, our eco-lodge offers spectacular views over the town of Bijagua and Lake Nicaragua offering you the opportunity to experience eco-tourism and nature at its finest. Here you will find a quiet and peaceful atmosphere that provides an opportunity to explore the incredible biodiversity in over 73 hectares of rainforest in our protected private reserve which adjoins Tenorio Volcano National Park. Completely owned and managed by Costa Ricans we are proud to be pioneers of tourism in the Tenorio and Upala region, engaging in eco-tourism for over fifteen years. We are committed to sustainable development and provide opportunities of employment and development for members of our community whilst sharing our knowledge and traditions with visitors from all over the world. Today, the most important activities of the lodge are the ones that help visitors understand the incredible natural beauty found here.More than 300 species of birds have been identified in the immediate area of Heliconias Lodge and Rainforest including five species of toucans and eighteen species of hummingbirds. The Ornate Hawk Eagle, Rufous-vented Ground Cuckoo and Tody Motmot can also be found in our private reserve as well as an enormous variety of insects, reptiles, amphibians and mammals. Naturally an incredible diversity of flora is found here. We are your gateway for exploring the local region including the spectacular Rio Celeste in Tenorio Volcano National Park. Heliconias Lodge and Rainforest offers you the opportunity to:Discover the incredible beauty of lush primary tropical rainforest and transition forest with more than 5km of trails extending though our 73 hectares of protected rainforest.Observe birds, butterflies and bromeliads of the forest canopy from our spectacular suspension bridges with our specialized bilingual guides during the day or night! Explore the mesmerizing beauty of Rio Celeste in the Tenorio Volcano National Park on horseback, with its breathtaking celestial waterfall, lagoon and natural hot springs. Take a tour of the local area including an organic farm, butterfly garden, Bijagua waterfall and the tallest tree in the region.Plant trees with our local youth cooperative (see community page) in order to offset your carbon emissions and engage in carbon neutral tourism. Do a day tour to Cano Negro, Palo Verde or Rincon de la Vieja National Park. Discover the thermal springs of Volcano Miravalles or go rafting in the Corobici River.Or simply relax and enjoy the breathtaking view from Heliconias Lodge and Rainforest from your balcony or the restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Heliconias Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Heliconias Hotel Bijagua De Upala
- Heliconias Lodge Costa Rica/Bijagua De Upala