“Great food, friendly helpful staff, BEST pub ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Old Smithy Inn

The Old Smithy Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Welcombe
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Great food, friendly helpful staff, BEST pub ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

This really is the BEST country pub that I have ever been too. I have had many fantastic meals here over the last few weeks, especially the one with all my family & a couple of friends (15 of us in total, ranging from 6 to 69 years old). The food was great across the board, and the puddings are heaven! The staff were really friendly, welcoming and attentive (especially considering a full pub, loft & garden) - I'm not sure how they keep up the pace.
I thoroughly recommend trying this pub, I can't wait until my next visit.

Maidstone
“Strange but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Had a very nice family meal in smithys once you get pass the unique 70s look decor staff very friendly but you do have to queue when ordering drinks and food had soup and tuna which was outstanding well worth a second visit

wakefield, west yorkshire
“What a find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Thursday 15th August After a super day out at the beach we mooched about the area for a traditional pub with food for Our tea. We found a Fabulous looking thatched pub in the middle of no where. Very busy and managed to get a table ( but upstairs), told menus would not be available until 6pm, we then ordered our food immediately, Fab homemade starter of nachos, our 8 year old daughter had a super portion of spaghetti Bol! We did chase up our mains order (I do appreciate the pub was very busy, but I did find the staff rather hassled!) Excellent quality of food but 2 hours to have a starter and mains especially with an 8 year old is stretching it.

Saturday 17th August - this time we booked and arrived prior to 6pm when the menus come out. We took our table (downstairs) totally different attitude of staff couldn't do enough for us. Fantastic food and atmosphere would strongly recommend it - we'll worth the second visit.

Dublin, Ireland
“Great option for food in this area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had dinner and drinks here while staying locally. Although very busy, they managed to seat us at a low table upstairs. The portions were generous and the food good quality.

I had the fish and chips and my partner had the fish pie. We had to return our fish pie as it was cold in the middle but it was promptly returned.

Like most pubs I encountered on the trip, you order and pay at the counter before eating.

Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have been coming here every year since I was born and I was excited to show it to my girlfriend. Unfortunately it didn't meet up to my past experiences here. The staff were a little rude refusing to let us even glance at a menu till gone past 6 o'clock; when we did try to go and get one we were turned away only to see other people holding one five minutes later. Our starters were fine but our main of fish pie was disgusting, it was left un eaten at our table for the many flies to eat. I will return again only because I love the area and to give it another try - maybe just the worst choice on the menu.

• Visited August 2013
TeamSmithy, Owner at The Old Smithy Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Hello. In response to your posting, I would like to make you aware that our menu changes for every lunch and evening meal service - they are printed fresh every time for 12pm/6pm when the kitchen opens and food may be ordered. I am sure you weren't 'turned away' by my staff who in my opinion are not the 'rude' people you speak of but the friendly, smiley and amenable people that are the building blocks of our business. As for your comments re: the fish pie, I must say that your choice of the word 'disgusting' is a little strong. Both myself and my wife were working the night you dined with us and we received nothing but praise for the fish pie; it is in fact one of our best sellers. Had you mentioned this at the time of your visit I would have been more than happy as manager to resolve the matter by way of a complementary meal. It's a shame in this instance that you chose instead to vent your apparent dislike for a meal on social media. As for your comments re: the flies, please see my response to posting 'Excellent Food, shame about the flies!'. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Regards, Rich & Jen.