“Crafty and caring food”
Review of 21 Restaurante

21 Restaurante
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: 21 Restaurante is a warm and cosy restaurant in the heart of Zahara. There are only 5 tables inside and a couple more outside. The decoration is different mixing antique furniture with a modern touch. The cuisine is International incorporating local products like red tuna and Retinto beef as well as exotic products from around the world. The head chef Ali Palmieri is Australian and has worked worldwide. The restaurant also displays art and on the 21st of every month both the art exhibition and the menu change.
“Crafty and caring food”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I can't cease to be surprised by Zahara and people like Ali and Marina who put so much into their cuisine with only one shift and no more than 10 tables...with an innovative menu that takes advantage of the local produce and more, they provide a solid culinary experience at reasonable prices. I truly hope the business proposition survives.
Good luck !

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Criticajusta

Stavanger, Norway
“Something quite different!”
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

The Andalucian food is good, but quite traditional. This restaurant is something quite else! The food is really good and presented an artistic way. The food is not just for your stomach, it is for your eyes as well. The staff, excellent service , so friendly. This restaurant is quite new in town, and it's really something Else. Try it, and enjoy!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Hilde H
“Michelin star food at value you can't believe!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

When first phoning to reserve a table at restaurante 21, our party of 4 were told that inside the restaurant were fully booked, and the table outside on the terrace was all they had left. I didn't really fancy eating outside as it was a Friday night and I thought there would be a lot of people walking past when I was eating my meal! In the end we decided to go down anyway and I've never been so happy with a decision.
The restaurant itself was small but intimate and even though we were on the terrace outside on the street we felt totally immersed in the ambiance of the venue, mainly due to the excellent and attentive service provided by the joint owner, and wife of the chef, and another very good waitress. The venue itself was very clean with a mixture of modern artwork by 'Banksy', with rustic influences in furniture which worked really well. However, due to the fact the menu and artwork changes on the 21st of each month it may be different for other people, another aspect that I loved.
There is no other word to describe the food other than 'phenomenal'!! I am a chef myself and have worked in 2 Michelin star restaurants as well as 2 prominent restaurants owned and run by very famous chefs. The food at restaurante 21 measures up in every aspect. We all had starters which included, a ravioli stuffed with quail egg and a Parmesan foam with pumpkin and quail thighs, deconstructed Greek salad, and a tuna tartar (which was sublime). This was accompanied by little mini apatizer dishes of small puff pastry with sardines and home made sourdough and pumpkin bread with peppery home made bread sticks as well. Mains consisted of a solomillio (sorry if my Spanish is incorrect) which was possibly the best steak I've ever eaten. Some of the best cattle in Spain are reared close to the town which explains the quality of the meat, which was cooked rare, and to absolute perfection. The saying 'like a knife through butter' sums it up completely. This was accompanied by a small roast potato disk with a topping of braised beef and a simple puréed potato and gravy that was delicious. The other dish tried was the octopus, which I didn't try myself, but was told it was amazing and not rubbery at all which is something quite hard to achieve when cooking a mollusc that is pretty much 100% muscle! The presentation of all the dishes was fantastic and you really got a sense that the chef had huge enthusiasm for what he does and really cared that the people eating his food enjoyed the whole experience as well as just the taste!
At the end of the meal we asked for the bill which arrived with a couple of Spanish liquors, which the waitress couldn't really say what an English equivalent would be, but the red liquor was an aniseed based drink and the green liquor reminded me of the Greek/Cypriot grappe, which is very strong in taste (those that have tried this will know what I mean). The total price for 4 people, starters and mains and the side dishes and a bottle of wine for 140 euros!! I nearly fell off my chair! At home this would be at very least a £100 a head meal absolutely no questions about it!
In summary this restaurant was one of the best I've eaten in and I loved everything about it, so much so that I am planning to go back to Zahara de Los atunes in September just to eat there again! I am a food lover and not a professional critic, my expertise are based in cooking and not writing reviews and so I'm sure this review doesn't give restaurante 21 anywhere near the aplomb it deserves.
I can only really end by saying one thing, go there and try it and you will have one of the best culinary experiences of your life! Congratulations to both the chef and his wife and considering this is only your first month of opening, you have already won yourself 4 life long fans. Many thanks again for such an amazing meal and I look forward to seeing what's on the menu next time I'm in Spain.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Matthaius
Hunter
“A cut above”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Ali the Chef always does excellent meals which look good and taste good - and creatively different. We have experienced his cooking before and can thoroughly recommend it. This new restaurant is creative too, a converted courtyard with an opening roof. This is a hospitable place for a special occasion at a very reasonable price.

• Visited June 2013
“Somewhere different”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Very good food well presented, most places in Zahara have cooks, here there is a chef and a good one.
Not the usual that you find in Zahara. A little pricey but well worth a visit on that special occasion.

Visited July 2013