“Lunch stop on motorcycle tour”
Review of Contes de Salme

Contes de Salme
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Vielsalm
Cuisines: Belgian, French, Mediterranean, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Was hoping to find a stop on the N89/N68, finally came across this place with a convenient place to park opposite. Eating al fresco looking out over the valley and lake. Good food and a good stop over... If they had had rooms we would have stayed there as well.

There are newer reviews for Contes de Salme

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had reservations for a party of 7 and were seated right away. The waiters were friendly and helpful even with our limited French. The food was very good for the value. We loved the old feel of the restaurant with exposed brick and beams. We would definitely return!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Nice menu and good selection of beer. I had the opportunity to try both lunch and after-work beer. The lunch was very good, with fast, attentive service. End-of-day service was, however, painfully slow.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

My daughter and I were camping nearby and drove into Vielsalm for dinner. Strangely, several of the town's restaurants were not open on Mondays so available options were slim. Fortunately, we found Contes de Salme!

My daughter is a vegetarian and is also allergic to gluten so it is often difficult to find suitable options on the menu. When we entered the restaurant, we explained the dietary restrictions and the maitre d' indicated that they would be able to assist. He called over the chef and she told my daughter that she would make her something that met her requirements, including rice and vegetables, even though it wasn't on the menu.

When the food arrived, the chef had produced a nice variety of vegetables along with a side-salad, fruit and rice that my daughter thoroughly enjoyed. My filet-mignon steak was perfectly cooked (medium-rare) and was 'washed down' with a nice local draft beer.

The restaurant had an old Black Forest/beer garden type decor. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. Service was prompt. We were very happy.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

My daughter and I were driving thru the Ardennes sight-seeing when we came upon this splendid restaurant located on the north side of Vielslam, a quaint little town. I think it's also a hotel as a drive-way leads to a circular courtyard. Upon entering the restaurant you will be impressed with the old style architecture. Huge exposed beams, bricked "caves" which have tables for 4. We sat at a table for 2, thick butcher block style table makes you feel like your back in the 18th century. The waiter was very friendlyand even though we didnt speak French he was helpful with trying to help understand some of the menu items. My daughter had the "Croque monsieur au jambon et fromage", a toasted ham and cheese sandwich....HUGE! Maed with home made bread, served with thick cut fries.....delicious! I know for a fact as I sampled her dish. I had a tomato soup topped with creme fraiche....wonderful! A basket of home made dark bread complimented this yummy soup. Wonderful atmorsphere, prices seemed fair. Would definitely go there again if in the area!