“Very homely relaxing hotel”

Richmond Arms Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Tomintoul B&B and Inns
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Very homely relaxing hotel”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed her on 4th feb for 3nights on a groupon deal ...hotel has a friendly .warm .inviting feel to it ...good is lovely ..compliments to chef martin made a lovely creme brulee ..breakfast was plentiful to set you up for the day ..20mins from aviemore ...the whisky trail ..balmoral ..speyside ..great base to do walking fishing cycling or just enjoy beautiful scenery ..i left camera charger and usb cable got in touch and they are very kindly ppsting it to me ...when we left o felt we made new friends of martin and sonia proprieters of hotel lovrly famoly ..plenty whisky from well stocked bar wiyh big open fire will b back loved it x

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank grannygracehips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed here for two nights on a Groupon deal. The hotel staff were very welcoming and the rooms were perfect for our needs. We had a three-course meal on the first night as part of our deal and found the food to be excellent with good portions. The hotel's bar was comfortable and friendly and the selections of malt whisky were very impressive. Breakfast is served over a reasonable period of time so you sleep off the whiskys you had the night before and you get a good selection of food which will set you up for the day.
Tomintoul is a lovely town which is ideally located for skiing, fishing, hill walking and heading out on the whisky trail. There are a couple of shops, hotels and restaurants. If you want a quiet break then this is a place to consider. It doesn't take too long to get to Aviemore or Braemar and with the views you get on the way you wont want the journey to end.
I wouldn't hesitate coming back to the Richmond Arms for a stay or even to pop in for a meal. It ticked all the boxes.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank dewfg
Glasgow
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights, using a Groupon deal, and occupied two rooms on the ground floor - myself and husband in a double room and my mum and daughter in a twin room. We shared a bathroom, which being set up for disabled access was ideal for mum who sometimes struggles with mobility. We were delighted with all the hotel had to offer, the welcome was very friendly, the rooms comfortable and clean, the bar cosy and the food fab. We were very impressed by the portions and quality of the 3 course meal on one night, our breakfasts were great, and just right to set us up for the day, and the snack menu on our 2nd night, after having lunch out, was perfect Not to mention the extremely wide and varied selection of malt whiskys. Choosing which one to try next was made easier by the knowledgeable and helpful staff.
We had never visited this part of the Cairngorms before, and found Tomintoul to be very charming and peaceful.
We used the hotel as a base to explore further afield, and of course the scenery is outstanding here with a fantastic view on every bend of the road.
It was a perfect antidote to a stressful few months, and we wouldn't hesitate in returning

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank laineyfaefife
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

i have just got back from a 3 day stay at the richmond arms hotel,tomintoul.the hotel itself was very clean and comfy,the rooms are very spacious with plenty of room to walk round without tripping up.the breakfasts and the meals were tremendous,also the bar is very well stocked with real ale and top quality draught beers.the owners of this establishment were very welcoming,and also the staff were very friendly and approachable,the log fire in the bar gives it a homely feel.i would highly recommend this hotel to all of my friends or to whoever was thinking about giving this hotel a visit in the future.top drawer

Room Tip: if its peace and quiet you seek then south side,or ask the staff they are really good people,baz x
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank 471jonno
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

me and my partner stayed at the richmond for 2 days on a groupon ticket and want to say what a lovely clean establishment, all staff was friendly and very welcoming, our room was spacious and very clean, our meals were fantastic and all in all a lovely place to stay, we look forward to our next stay

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sharon A
Chorley
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We've just returned from 3 nights stay at the Richmond Arms Hotel and were really pleasantly surprised. This isn't the Ritz and some TLC is needed to the building and rooms but this kind of lends to the character too! The staff go out of their way to make your stay an enjoyable one. We were there for my partners birthday and not only did we receive a complementary upgrade to a corner aspect room with a comfortable Superking bed and massive 50 inch TV, Martin went to the trouble of preparing a special menu for us which was excellent! The breakfast too is not to be sniffed at. Full Scottish with haggis and probably the best Black Pudding I have tasted.Really set us up for the day. A great selection of Malt Whiskies and a mega draught ale on - 6.1% dark ale - nectar. A log fire too - what more can you need? Location is wonderful for both scenery and there are Whisky distilleries abound. Some are open just April to October so check if there is a particular one you want to visit. All in all a great break and will certainly consider a return!

Room Tip: Ask for a Superking room...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Earwigg
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I arrived at this hotel after happily stumbling across it on 'groupon' after i struggled to find somewhere of an acceptable standard to accommodate my weekend in which i took a great deal of time to delve into the whiskey's of Scotland. Upon arrival on the Friday of my stay, i was welcomed with, as you might put it, "open arms" by Martin, who i soon learnt to be the boss of this establishment and his wife, Sonia. The couple were very nice and Chloe, their daughter helped me to my room and we engaged in great conversation on the walk up to the room. Although the owners of the hotel seemed a little stressed because of the enormous success this hotel has been having over the past few months, their demeanor was one of the many things that made me realize that this hotel was definitely the right choice for me-and obviously the many other customers who seem to be flooding into this hotel.
After exploring the local village of Dufftown and it's finest whiskeys, I came back to the hotel for some dinner. The lounge bar was exceptionally clean and very well decorated-a nice place to be in indeed. I chose to have the goujons for a starter, although it did take a while to come out because the bar was packed full of happy customers which made the atmosphere enjoyable. The meal, including the main meal was brought out on piping hot plates. This is unusual for a resturant but was definitely an added bonus! The meal was incredible and the waitresses, Chloe and Becca, are obviously extremely good friends who work together making sure that every need of the customers are met. I went up to the bar to get a drink and i was met with an extensive range of cocktails and whisky's. With the great range, came stress. So many good drinks, which one do i choose from!? Thankfully, Chloe assisted me in choosing the right drink for my taste. I was skeptical about my dessert, would i be able to manage it after eating the previous meal which brought the term 'value for money' to an entirely higher level? The answer was yes, it was delicious! I asked for Martin, the chef and the owner, so i can compliment him on the amazing dinner i received. Martin is a level headed man especially after all the stress and pressure he must be under- running a hotel with your wife alongside can't be easy!!
I went up to my room and was met with an extremely comfy bed and a spotless room.The bathroom was immaculate and the shower was spacious and worked very well. I had a very good sleep in the bed and i managed not to trip over my luggage in the room which was too much of an advantage! The room was well lit with a perfect view which i enjoyed while relaxing after my meal. The room was definitely too big for me, but that's a vibrant good thing!!
I disagree with the 'Animal Excrement everywhere' review. The corridor where this person 'saw' the excrement is, or should be, non-accessible to guests and this is something that should be respected by guests. There was a valid excuse for this and had the gentlemen asked any of the staff, I have great faith in that it would have been sorted out at the time.
Getting the groupon deal is something i recommend to anyone wishing to stay here. With or without the groupon deal, this hotel is a credit to Tomintoul and a real gem to the place.
I will recommend this to anyone i know who's passing the village and desires a well earned break.

I wish the Hutchinsons even greater success, if that's even possible!? Well done.

Room Tip: Want a good room? Any room in this hotel should fit your needs- the hutchinsons know what they'r...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Taylor J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tomintoul
The Balfour Manor
#2 of 5 in Tomintoul
Glen Avon Hotel
Glen Avon Hotel
#5 of 5 in Tomintoul

Been to Richmond Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!