“Villa Cojimar”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Mississauga
“Villa Cojimar”
Reviewed June 6, 2006

I have just returned from a week at Villa Cojimar in Cuba. I would rate this place as average. The food was not great but you could manage on the selections available. The rooms were basic but very clean. The staff were excellent. Travellers should be advised that there are a lot of moscqitoes there. No one tells you about this. From the time you get off the plane there are hundreds of them. They are not out during the day and the resorts do spray but at night you will need bug spray and sometimes in the early morning.
I would definitely return to this resort. We looked at some of the other more expensive places and them did not offer much more for your buck.

The pool area can be very noisy with kids. There were a lot of Cubans here when I was there and they can be very loud. The beach is your best bet for peace and quiet.

The weather was perfect but very humid.

11 Thank LindaJ22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2006

Just got back from the Cojimar...my recommendation…DON’T GO...yes some of the reviews tell you that you have to make up your own mind and me and my friend went with no expectations...and we got crap. We would wake up to an overflowed toilet and a leaking roof and then have the front desk tell us that they cant do anything about it and we cannot switch rooms as they don’t have any…only for the new guests arriving…they didn’t want to help us at all. The Disco at night was for the employees only…we sat on the side the entire time and watched the employees enjoy themselves as the music was all Spanish…so we asked them to play some English…and they played “YMCA” and crap…come on I'm in my 20s. The cups for drinks are really small. The male employees were always bothering us. We needed to carry a flashlight with us as the walkways are not lit and they cobblestone paths will destroy your wheels on your luggage and your shoes. Pool was nice...but there werent enough loungers...most were broken...you had to get up really early to reserve them or steal them off of someones balcony!

The only good thing was the food.

This is the only resort on island that is fully owned and operated by Cubans the other resorts are not.

One thing we learnt though from people we met on the plane was that if you are unhappy with your hotel your tour operator will help you find a new hotel…wish we would have known that :(

8 Thank MinnieMouse05

Travelers are raving about these Cayo Guillermo hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2006

My friend and I just returned from our vacation at the Club Villa Cojimar and I can tell you that this was definitely a trip we will never forget. First off, and please keep in mind we did not go to this place with high expectations as we know this is only a 3 star resort, but the way we were treated was unacceptable. The first time we arrived we werent even welcomed...the front desk receptionist didnt even have a smile on his face. We arrived pretty late at night and we had great trouble finding our room and when we finally did, I was shocked at how our room looked...it was terrible! The walls were peeling, bugs all over the place, we couldnt open our safe and our toilet was overflowing. We asked for a new room and we were denied - we finally got a new room 3 days into our trip. So after all this mess with our room we went to the buffet to get some food and one of the waitors actually yelled at me for taking some cups off another table because there werent any on ours...it was shocking. Also, what we found shocking was the amount of Canadians actually at the resort - two other ladies and my friend and I were the only ones...mostly English and Cubans were staying at the resort.

Disco: Bad music...mostly spanish and "oldy" songs.
Entertainment: It was good...there were some shows that really kept me watching.
Food: Very good. Even for my friend, who is a vegetarian, had lots of variety of foods to eat.

The only good thing that I can truly say about our trip was the weather was absolutely beautiful and the food was good...must try the Coconut Ice Cream...yum yum! :)

This experience has definitely turned me away from Cuba (this was my third time to Cuba) and my friend who has never been before definitely received a bad impression from Cuba (which is so unfortunate).

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
South Wales
Reviewed May 13, 2006

In a lot of ways, the Cojimar is definitely not the best hotel to choose when visiting the Cayos, as it is cuban owned and some aspects clearly indicated the difference between the Cuban expectation and other nationalities' expectations. I would say the star rating given by most travel companies (3/4 star) is a little generous compared to hotels in Europe, but then, you are not in Europe - you've just flown halfway across the world!
Now, for the good and bad points, bad news first:
1 Food is basic, sometimes cold if you are late for meal times. Also, if you are late, you may find yourself searching for cutlery/glasses, etc. And, the most popular items would sometimes run out - such as the chips!!
2 Some bar staff in lobby bar were a little 'off' and on a couple of occasions, I felt I had disturbed them from their conversations with other staff if I wanted service.
3 Drinks served in small glasses.
4 All trips seemed to book up really really quickly.
5 The A La Carte Italian restaurant was really dire - the choice was: chess & tomato pizza (plain or with sausage or with peppers, I think) OR pasta with bolognese or shrimp. No starter, No dessert, and only one drink included - not my idea of a la carte, a total waste of time.
BUT:
1 The cubans done miracles with the ingrediants they have, the food was basic, but as long as you are not really fussy you wouldnt go hungry.
2 The staff do work really long hours, and the cuban laid back approach does take getting used to - but go with the flow, don't get stressed - you're on holidays. All in all, the staff are extremely friendly and all were helpful.
3 You can take a flask and ask the bar staff nicely (or tip a little) to get them to fill these up instead of having the little cups.
4 Just book any trips you are interested in at the initial Welcome meeting.
5 Just don't bother going to the restaurant!
More Great Points: The beach is stunning, yes the sea isnt deep, but if you want to go swimming - use the pool (never full) or go on a snorkelling trip (readily available but extra charge). The Havana trip was well worth the money (about £250 for two for a day), the organisation of the trip was well done (Thomas Cook).
The Cojimar did seem a little run down compared to other hotels we saw, but, it was the cheapest when I booked the holiday. Also, the other hotels were very large, busier and noisier (music blasting by pool and on beach ALL day). What you would enjoy depends on personal choice. I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday, would recommend the Cojimar (as long as it remains cheaper than other options) and thought Cuba was an interesting country, but I wouldnt go to this hotel again, just because I don't think I would visit Cuba again - I like to try different places so it's a case of Been There, Done That, Did Enjoy.

18 Thank Tasha012
adelaide
Reviewed May 10, 2006

nice place ...average food..staff very helpful

[--]

Stayed March 2004
england
Reviewed May 8, 2006

Arrived in cuba to have a good holiday and succeeded at the Villa Cojimar the rooms are nice and kept really clean with towel swans and hearts on bed everyday courtesy of our lovely maid. pool area good with plenty of beds, pool bars did great food at lunch time and the barstaff were great, the lobby bar is also good but the staff could smile more often sometimes felt you were bothering them, beach is beautiful and catamaran trip a must but book early morning to be sure of getting on. The colourful cuba trip is a must for a great day out, but the dolphin swim is a total dream!!!!!!!! and an experience not to be missed, the other really outstanding thing about this holiday was our rep ALEX he is the best nothing too much trouble and a pleasure to be with he organised a bowling night out and we had a great time thanks Alex. If you want a fancy upmarket hotel this is not the one for you, but if you want a good holiday at a reasonable price and to have some fun and meet nice people this is the place. Hello to Lisa and Paul enjoyed your company hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and Hi to Debs and her family from Salford Manchester thanks for your company especially on the dolphin swim.

• Stayed April 2006
13 Thank englandmisty
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 21, 2006

Just returned from the Cojimar and had an awsome time. Spent 2 fun filled weeks and would definatley return again. Rooms were kept clean by cleaning staff daily.(we are only in them to sleep anyway) Pool was clean and beach was great. You could walk a long way into the water to explore and was crystal clear. Never had a problem finding lounge chairs by the pool.(most of our time was spent there) Food was great especially the pasta bar. There could have been more of a variety but I can't complain since I came back a few pounds heavier. Most dining staff were great.(Jose gets a thumbs up) Bar staff and activities staff were exellent. Never had to wait long for service at the bar and they were allways friendly. Sanin made you feel like family and allways had a smile on her face. I would definatley reccomend the Cojimar to anyone. There was 10 of us that went and a good time was had by all. I read the reviews before I went and I don't understand what some people had problems with. If you want a 5 star then go to a 5 star. A holliday is only what you make it to be. Treat the staff with respect and they will do the same. They are human too and trying to do thier job and make everyone happy. I guess some are just impossible to please.

• Stayed April 2006
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort

Been to Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar? Share your experiences!