“Great holiday!!”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Toronto
“Great holiday!!”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I just got back from my one week get-away by myself at Club Cojimar and have to say it was a great resort. At first glance it might seem a little basic compared to some of the other resorts near by but keep in mind that it is only 3 star and the price is right. I chose this resort as I was looking for sun, good beach, good food and good atmoshere. It got good reviews so I booked. I got most of what I wanted but without a few hic ups first.

The weather: The weather was so so but being January and their coldest month of the year, I wasn't overly surprised but still not complaining as it sure beat Toronto's frigid temperatures. I still managed to get a pretty decent tan despite all the clouds.

My room: Upon arrival I was not happy with my room. There was no hairdryer, the fridge didn't work and the AC was a little dodgy. After complaining to the front desk (whom are all very friendly), I was moved the next day into a nicer room with a hairdryer and great view of the beach. I would recommend trying to get any room from 111-124. These are the concrete bungalow buildings right on the beach. Don't bother with the wooden bungalows. They are dark, away from the beach and main area and full of bugs. I spoke with a few other guests and they too had complaints about their room and things not working. So keep that in mind.

The beach: The beach is quite pretty with fine white sand. The water is very shallow and clear so you can walk out very far. I didn't actually sit on the beach that much because I found I was getting bitten alot from all the little bugs there. I stayed at the pool which was usually pretty quiet and close to the bar. There was always lots of chairs to chose from.

The staff: The staff were all amazing! They were so helpful and will go out of their way to make sure your stay is enjoyable.

The food: The food was pretty good. I stuck to fresh fruit and veggies and only food they cooked in front of you such as fish or chicken. Drinks were always plentiful and always enough to go around.

The gym: Very basic. Treadmill worked fine and a good selection of weights. It was never busy when I went and pretty much had the place to myself.

Internet: I used it everyday and it was painfully slow. A half hour card costs 2.25 pesos. Just be prepared to be patient.

Exchanging money: You cannot exchange money at Cojimar. I had to walk along the beach to the next resort to do this. I didn't really mind as it was a nice walk and I visited their shops while there.

Recommendations: Bring bugspray, after bite lotion, kleenex (none in the room), your own hair dryer if you rely on one like I do, peanut butter, jams, ketchup as there is none of that in the buffet area and the best thing I brought from reading other reviews was my own travel mug. This was great for coffee in the morning and then beer for the rest of the day.

General impression: Great value! Go with an open mind and if you're not overly fussy and don't need fancy, then you will love this resort.

Room Tip: If you want to be right on the beach, ask for any room between 111 and 124. I don't think the w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
9 Thank JEF123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
BRACEBRIDGE
Reviewed January 21, 2014

First off I would like to say this Resort has been redone and now goes by Allegro.
I went with my boyfriend ( we are in our 20's) at the start of January for a week.
The employees at the hotel were very nice! We found the bartenders the friendliest. The servers at the buffet were good, but we found the bigger groups got much more attention at the buffet. Sometimes we would have to go get our own drinks or find our own cutlery. The buffet had good food for the most part, you could always get an omelette at breakfast and pasta and meats at lunch and dinner cooked fresh. They had lots of breads and rice, then different things each night. The A la Carte Restaurant was AMAZING! Great food and great service. They normally have 2 A la Carte restaurants but one closed because it is in the area they are still working on redoing, so they had the two different styles of meals at the one place but switched every other day. We stayed in one of the little cabins and although the beds werent the best we had no issues with it. It was cleaned very well every day. One down side was the bolt lock didn't work on the door, but you did need a key to get in the door so it didn't bother us. The pools were very nice and the pool chairs were comfy. They had a bar at the pool but it did not have a blender; if you wanted a blended drink you had to go to the lobby but that was a less then a minute walk so it was no big deal. They always had activities at the pool for all ages and music was always playing. They employees at the pool were great! They were always working hard and they did their best to make sure everyone was having a good time. Night time entertainment was okay. We watched one full show the week we were there, we went to a few others but weren't that interested. They do switch the shows every night so it just depends what you are into. One day of our trip was really windy and rainy so they moved all the pool side activities into the lobby so people would still have stuff to do. We went on the catamaran it was AMAZING i suggest it to anyone, you get to have a chicken and lobster lunch on the boat. It takes you to two different places to snorkel and also takes you to pillar beach; which is a beach with no resorts just a restaurant and bar. Another day with swam with the dolphins which was also a great experience and I would totally do it again. You swim with them for about an hour and then you go to pillar beach for lunch and then to swim for a few hours. Both great experiences and great for the price! The beach was probably the most amazing part of the trip! it was an amazing beach.
I do suggest that you make sure you bring bug spray and dont just wear it to the beach, they are all over. Small bugs you cant really see them.
Also all the staff is very grateful when you leave them gifts. We brought soap, hand cream, kids toys, hair stuff, toothpaste and they are very happy when getting these things.
Overall I highly suggest this resort!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank JENNIFER B
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was our second visit at the end of March 2013, our first was a year and a day before. Yes, this hotels facilities are fairly basic, but the location is extraordinarily beautiful. To be so close to nature lifts my heart, and the simple low level bungalows really make you feel you are experiencing a tropical paradise. This was by far the cheapest hotel on the Cayos and it was that fact that made our trip a possibility. We had to come back because I never got to see a Cuban Tree Rat (Hutia) on our last visit ;O)
The food at this resort was passable, but definitely not anything special. The poor arrangements of the dining room meant big queues if you wanted to have your food cooked for you, so we generally just had the chicken or the pork from the buffet. The Italian a la carte restaurant was a bit dark and dingy for my tastes, but a pizza made a nice change. The Cuban restaurant we found a bit hit and miss, we had a great meal in our first week, so the second was a bit of a disappointment.
We visited Pilar beach again this time, but only really used it as an opportunity to take some photos with the giant starfish before striking out to explore what was round the corners. We have walked the length and breadth of the island and seen Cuban Rock Iguanas, Blue Knight Anoles, Hutias, Flamingos, Spoonbills and too many other beautiful and amazing bird species to count.
Most nights we would have tree frogs in the bathroom, the largest of which lived behind the bathroom mirror. To some that might be a horror, but to me, that is a little bit of magic.
We took the speedboat trip out near the bridge, primarily so I would be guaranteed to see a Hutia, and I not only saw, but hand fed fruit to six of them. The snorkelling out in the mangroves at the end of the speedboat trip was quite exceptional in my experience of Caribbean resorts. The speedboat driving itself was so terrifyingly exciting that I screamed all the way there, and all the way back, and it was me doing the driving.
We had our usual life threatening experience when we went on a snorkelling trip from the hotels own sports shack out to 'the reef', which really isn't very special. Six of us went out on a Hobbycat and we were hit by a tropical storm and lost at sea for about an hour. We were battered by wind and rain, lost the sail and couldn't see our hands in front of our faces for the stinging rain. This was handled extremely poorly by the hotel who were very quick to declare that the sports shack was rented to the marina and not their responsibility, but a warm drink and a blanket when we finally reached dry land really wouldn't have gone amiss. We got back to the hotel to find all our belongings in the pool as they had taken down the umbrellas to save them from the wind, but no one had thought to move our things. I hope the French Canadian lady that joined us on that trip has also got over the trauma. It seems this was a really unusual phenomenon as they never have storms like that in April, we are just particularly unlucky holiday makers......
This year, we are going to Egypt as there are no affordable trips to the Cayos, but I love this place, I really do, and if I could go back, I would do so in a heartbeat,

Room Tip: We prefer the concrete bungalows to the wooden ones. They seem brighter and more spacious.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank heartsinthecayos
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The people were amazing to deal with. It felt like I was at home on the farm. I will go back again as long as the harvest is a sweet as this year. My cousins were very negative about this resort cuz of the price. But they were sure wrong. It was like the riders won the gray cup all over again.

• Stayed January 2014
9 Thank Darcyridersforever
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Having read an earlier review about Orlando, I had to respond. We were there for two weeks over the holidays and he immediately took my heart. What a wonderful soul! All of the staff are so welcoming and friendly, but that's part of their job. There was something different about Orlando, something special, so I was glad that my instincts were not off. To recognize travellers after a few years is amazing.
I'll not go into a huge review of the hotel other than 2 cortisone shots for bug bites was a bit of a buzz killer, no pun intended. We had paid extra for a cabin but moved on the day of our arrival because it was dank, musty, rundown, and generally unappealing. We were moved immediately to a room closer to the centre of the action. The room was bigger, cleaner, nicer, the washroom was massive, the water pressure was excellent, the air conditioning was excellent. So if you pay for a cabin, you aren't getting your money's worth.
We had some of our best times on the beach when the tide was out. I played with an octopus, found hundreds of conches, starfish, giant snails, a ton of stuff. Frog hunting at night was really neat.
Overall, if they can improve on the flow of the buffet as well as adding some menu variety including leaf salads and fresh veg, add a non-stop, kid-friendly pool snack bar, notch the maid service up a couple, turn their attention to insect control (I know it's nature but there are methods), have money exchange onsite, and learn the definition of "wake-up call", then I have no doubt they will be able to accomplish their goal of adding a star or two to their status.

Room Tip: Don't choose the wooden cabins. They haven't been upgraded.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank CADaCosta
Leduc, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Where to start.
We had an amazing time, but we do anywhere we go. There are things to love, and little hidden places to find wherever you go. Seek them out, don't be confined to the resort.
We stayed from December 18th until January 1st.
We were given a wooden bungalow, without paying the upgrade. So that was nice.
First impression of the wood cabin was amazing. Vaulted ceilings, full wood interior.
The good about the room. Amazing, unobstructed ocean view. Small shared front patio, and a larger private back patio. The AC was adequate.
Before I mention the bad, I must warn you about watching the recently posted you tube video of all the new upgrades that the hotel has supposedly done.
I found them all to be false, or are not completed yet. except for some new paint.
Ok the bad about the wooden bungalows. Of six drawers in our room, 2 were broken. Not only is the furniture in the rooms not new, but was broken. The mattress was terrible. I got a maximum of six hours of sleep a night, and often contemplated sleeping on the floor. The water pressure was not more than a trickle, at all times during the day. Thank goodness the shower head was on a flex hose. Practice soaping and shampooing with one hand so you can hold the shower head with the other, directly over yourself. There is a window directly in the shower with privacy glass. Try not to shower after five pm if you value your privacy. When its dark outside and the light is on in your shower, your silhouette is clearly visible to those walking down the pathway. Being six foot 2 myself, the window came down easily past my waistline, and directly faces the pathway. And also shower quietly, even a standard inside voice can be heard from not only the neighboring suite, but the pathway as well. I wish I was exaggerating. Unless you embrace voyeurism, shower in the dark or middle of the day, and whisper. Personally I wasn't to concerned, but what a terrible design flaw. The toilet continually ran, and made it hard to sleep.
Forget about privacy from your neighbors. They may as well be in the room with you, the walls are so thin. No joke. The sink stopper was jammed in the drain and I had to pry it out with my pocket knife to get the sink to drain. And even then it kept backing up. Bring a roll of duct tape, and tape up the overflow hole on the sink and any other holes you may find in the room.
It will keep the large cockroaches, lizards, and frogs out.
The wood bungalow is constructed with gaps and cracks everywhere. So make your peace with being eaten alive, by mosquitoes and noseeums (sand fleas) in your own room.
It was hot so I couldn't sleep under the covers at night but my wife did. I did a quick count of the bites all over my body and I stopped counting at five hundred.
Bring cortozone cream, after bite, reactine, anything you can to ease the itching, and sleep under the covers with all limbs covered no matter how hot you are. I have never written a bad review before, and I am by no means exaggerating. I will mention that the bugs seemed to like me more than most people. They do fog with insecticide on the days when the wind is mild. A man with a leaf blower like machine walks the resort paths at seven am. Its really loud so I hope your an early riser. And don't be caught on the path if you value your lungs. My wife and I are avid snorkelers. Its very windy here and snorkeling was nearly impossible at the resort. At least not during our stay. But we did find an amazing place to snorkel. There is a hop on hop off bus that you can take to get the Pilar beach.
Its 5 dollars per person round trip. But if your gonna go there take a taxi. It goes directly to the beach without stopping at all the other hotels on the way, and it has air conditioning. Its the same price just tell them what time to come get you and they will be there. We did this ten times with no problems. If you look on google earth before you go, you will find pilar beach stretching
along one side of the tip of the island. This is the windy side. There is a small side road that takes you from pilar beach to the back side of the island, which is where we snorkeled.
Its never windy. We took a taxi to snorkel there ten days out of 14. We commonly saw
pipe-fish, crabs, file-fish, tripod-fish, cuttle-fish, queen conch, king and pricess helmet, murex, hawks wing, cow fish, starfish bigger than your head, sting rays, sea biscuits, sand dollars, sea cucumbers, and sea slugs, and several sunken ship wrecks. What a spectacular area and most days we were the only ones out there. A small virgin beach nestled between dogs teeth and mangroves. Absolute paradise. Way better than pilar beach. And amazing snorkeling for just the price of the taxi. We also did a tour to Moron. We payed one of the chefs at the resort to take us in his car for fifty bucks less than the sunwing price. We saw the main square and did some shopping, and then he took us for lunch at a small restaraunt, fabulous food but the price way to high. Not just for Cuba but for Canada too. Then we went to see the lagoon. In my opinion the tour was a bit underwhelming but we mainly went for shopping so we did get that.
The gift stores there sell the same items as the gifts shops at the hotels, but they are a decent amount cheaper. But factor in the price to get there is over a hundred dollars for two people.
We would have been better off shopping next door at the Iberostar, they have many shops and vendors and they let other hotel guests walk right on the resort.
The security is poor but that's not why, its actually allowed. People from all the other resorts come to the Iberostar to exchange money and do shopping. The front desk there does exchange money, but 100 Can = 86 Cuc. They do have an actual bank in a separate building
in their front parking lot. I'm sure the rates are better there but they aren't always open and then you will need your passport. Now let me talk about fishing. I brought my rod and a few hooks. I fished from the causeway and did alright. Lots of fish but nothing to big.
If you want to catch fish, bring a couple lead weights, hook one on your swivel and then tie a two foot piece of line to your swivel as well. on the end of the two foot piece of line tie on a small to medium size single barbed hook. There is always local fisherman on the bridge ask one of them for a small fish. They have coolers full of small, white, 5 inch, fish that they net off the beach to use for bait. They will give you one gladly, with a smile. Slice up the fish filet into small chunks and hook one on your hook. Walk about a third of the way across the bridge and cast out about 15 feet on the sunset side of the bridge. Let the weight hit the bottom, reel up and slack line a wait for the bites. You should be getting bites within 5 seconds. If your hook keeps getting picked clean switch to a smaller hook. Ignore the nibbles and wait for a decent pull to set the hook. Bring a glove and small pliers to unhook the fish.
If you follow this method you will catch fish. But if you want to catch the giants you will have to copy the locals and drift out a large baited hook attached to a piece of styro-foam.
I never tried this method but you may be there all day before you hook one. I saw only two 8 pound snappers caught by the locals the whole time i was there. But if you just want to catch fish try the first method. Catch and release or use them as bait or give them to the locals.
The locals on the bridge are so friendly because they want your rod. I had a group of 6 locals helping me fish. They were cutting up my bait for me and unhooking my fish. I gave them my rod and gear before leaving. I caught surgeon fish, squirrel fish, parrot fish, striped grunts, and a few I don't know the names of. Surgeon fish have tail and dorsal fin spines to watch out for, and the squirrel fish also have dorsal spines. I hear the charter fishing boats do quite well, but they're five hundred for the day, four people max. I saw a few people try fishing from the beach unsuccessfully, but who knows. Back to the resort. The bartenders are quite nice and make excellent cappuccinos. The lobby bar is open 24 hour. There is only one a la cart restaurant, the menu just alternates nightly between Cuban and Italian. You can book 2 a la carts per week, and I suggest you do. The food is excellent but mainly just to avoid the buffet. The buffet has decent food, we always found something to our liking. The food is good at the buffet but the system, organization and management is awful. If the resort is more than half full, its a complete mad house in the buffet.
There are rarely plates, and they are not located at the beginning of the line. They are more towards the middle. So you have huge line ups people cutting in and out to get plates and running back to the beginning to get in line. And you also have people stuck in line who don't have a plate waiting and holding up the line. You also have many Cuban and south american families who just flat out push their way in. A cuban man slipped in front me in line, its a bit annoying but no big deal so I didn't say anything. Then he proceeded to scoop up eleven plates full of food passing them off to his buddies. As a Whole I find Canadians to be quite polite but when this occurs over and over Canadians tend to lose their good will. You can only take so much blatant rudeness. I was even cut off in line by the restaurant manager frantically scraping the nearly empty trays. You think the resort staff could at least eat before or after the buffet opens. Just a thought. Take all of these scenarios and lump them together with the poor air conditioning and times it by five. Then you may have an idea about what a typical buffet meal is like at the Villa Cojimar during mid to peak season. Not to mention Christmas or New years. It was like a pack of wild dogs during a drought. I saw many altercations between normally kind Canadians and Rude, half starved, Cubans and south americans. Some almost became physically violent. Food was literally flying. I am by no means racist, I'm simply conveying my experience. I've never seen anything like it, the sad part is this could easily be fixed by simple changes to placement of food and traffic flow. Management seemed to be non-existant and quite obviously guided by the (lord of the flies) mentality. Try the snack bar and book a la carts as much as possible. Even kind-hearted, relaxed, vacationing Canadians can only take much.
I would only ask one thing. Please don't assume I'm exaggerating because I most certainly am not. And please disregard the misleading allegro video on you tube regarding the new renovations. Its windy there so if that's what you want, you will love it.
I give the area a (4 out of 5), but I give the hotel a (2 out of 5), despite a few amazing staff.
One tip. Try the restaurant right on the beach just past the sol hotel, its amazing.
Please excuse my many grammatical errors, hopefully you find this review helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid the bungalows, get a standard room with beach view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
36 Thank mikeprusak

Travelers are raving about these Cayo Guillermo hotels

St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We were were guests at this hotel Dec 2010, for which I wrote a review.
This year we stayed at another hotel on Cayo Guillermo. However, we walked along the beach back to the Cojimar to look at all the improvements and updates, as the hotel now falls under the Allegro group. Upon us coming up from beach on the walkway towards the pool bar, Orlando (one of the pool barmen) saw us and immediately recognized us and came over and was so happy to see us, even remembering our names - this after 3 years and possibly thousands of guests in the intervening years!! We could not believe this. We had such an emotional reunion with him. This stands as testament to what kind of a person Orlando is and will always be. We visited him again 2 days later, taking gifts to him that we had brought with us in the event that he was still at the Cojimar. This time he took the time to sit with us and chat (the bar was very quiet - it was early).
Thank you for the time you spent with us, Orlando, your friendliness and your incredible memory not only remembing our faces, but our names, where we lived and numerous things that we had imparted to him all those years ago. You are a gentleman, such an asset to the hotel, and someone we will hold very dear in our hearts. It was very sad to say 'goodbye for now, until the next time'. We will be back, no matter which hotel we are staying at we will take the time to visit with you again, our dear friend.
The group of friends who had walked with us on our first walk (some from the UK and other Canadians) were suitable impressed with the hotel, we explained to them all the updates that were visible to us from our visit since 2010 and they were happy that they had accompanied us on our walk.

Improvements and updates that were visible seemed for the good, though hotel was by no means busy!! But it did feel like home, even though we were wearing different coloured armbands!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Sercotel Club Cayo Guillermo
Sercotel Club Cayo Guillermo
#5 of 6 in Cayo Guillermo
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar? Share your experiences!