“Amazing vacation”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Montreal, Canada
“Amazing vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

We spent 1 week at the new Allegro Club from February 16th to February 23rd. I must say this was our best experience in Cuba so far. For being a 3 star hotel it is much better than many 4.5 star hotels. The food was amazing, a lot of variety to pick from and very fresh, the staff make this place unforgettable, animation made it very entertaining every day, all members are alot of fun and make sure you have fun as well. This place has 2 a la carte restaurants, I recommend the cuban over the italian restaurant. Great place to visit, amazing attention is given by the staff. The beach is just breathtaking you can walk in for meters and the water won't cover you, Cuba has the best beaches in the carribean, no doubt about it. We visited Playa Pilar just about 7 minute taxi ride from the hotel, it is a must see, nothing beats that beach. Overall amazing experience, we will definitely be visiting Allegro Club Cayo Guillermo again.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are amazing and so worth it!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Karina S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
Cold Lake, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Fabulous week spent with a high school friend at the newly updated Allegro. I can't say enough about the staff friendliness. Buffet meals were much nicer than my last time experiencing Cuban food in Verradero. Plenty of fresh fruit and veg, pasta and pizza stations, freshly grilled fish and other meats. Soup everyday and a solid dessert bar including ice cream. Rooms were well cleaned with new mattresses and plenty of new, fluffy towels daily. bar staff, Alex and Alex, Phillipe and Hermenus were eager to serve and truly appreciate your tips. The pool was a bit on the cool side but there were always plenty of available new and comfortable lounge chairs. The beach - the nicest I've ever been at. You can walk out what seems like forever into the turquoise waters that were just so lovely. The nightly entertainment had a lot of variety. Valentines dinner was nice with champagne for the diners and a very talented guitarist. If there was one negative, I'd have to really be petty and say it was the speed of the Internet service costing $4.50 for an hour. A good 10 minutes is spent logging in alone but hey, we were on vacation and were off the radar so no big deal. One thing missing would be a currency exchange available at the front desk but one is available at the Ibestar next door; a short 5 minute walk up the beach. I was not affected by the no-see-ums but my friend was bitten quite a bit as we're other guests. Don't pass this resort up if you're looking for a quiet, off the hustle and bustle of life path. you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank August-alberta
Plainfield, Ontario Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

8th trip for me to the newly named Allegro (was Cojimar); 1st for my daughter, Melanie (22). As always the staff are what makes this resort the best place to return to!! There has been many improvements over the last 3 years. From the front desk staff who welcomed us to the bellboys who helped with our bags, our stay was great! We had a room on the beach with a gorgeous view of the ocean. The rooms have been freshly painted, new beds, lighting, mirrors, bedding, etc. Lots of hot water with plenty of new, good quality towels. New lounge chairs are comfortable too. TV worked well. Pathways have been improved with additional lighting. Maids kept the room very clean with fresh towels and towel art daily and also fulfilled the few requests we had.
The food has improved considerably with two new chefs. Breakfast was always good with fresh eggs, breads, pastries, fruit and delicious coffee. Excellent staff every morning. The lunch buffet had plenty of variety, fresh fish, pasta,pizza made to one s liking. Lettuce or cabbage with other fresh veggies for salad. We brought our own salad dressing which was good as they still do not have it. (We also brought peanut butter.) We also ate at the pool snack bar...burgers, hotdogs and pressed sandwiches were tasty! For the first time the desserts were delicious! Rice pudding was sometimes available as well as ice cream. This time the squares, cookies and pastries were very good...they even had cheesecake! Staff kept the buffet tables full and quickly replaced depleted items. Soups were delicious...on occasion a bit too salty but otherwise very good. Staff at the buffet were very attentive. Our trips to the a la cartes were also very good and the repeat guest dinner was well done with bruschetta, soup, lasagna and a second main course of steak, fish and the fixings. The wine was Spanish or Cuban and quite good. The staff at the trattoria and the ranchon were the best...very professional and welcoming. Wine glasses were kept full and the bread was delicious! There are so many special staff here that could be named but I am afraid I will miss someone. They all made our meals an excellent experience. My daughter felt very special! Our biggest problem was eating too much! We only attended one animation night and listened to a classical guitarist in the lobby and at the repeat guest dinner...all were very talented. The water was a bit cooler this time but the pool was well maintained and there were plenty of chaise lounges and umbrellas. Bar service at the pool was provided some days. We spent most of our time at the beach. Drinks were good and so was the service. We had a very special trip and appreciate the kind attention received by all...front desk, public relations, maid service, buffet, ala carte, bars, the new general manager and of course, Houlio, the gardener! There are a few mosquitoes so take bug spray and after bite.
Also, after asking we received a stocked mini bar which was great! Cojimar has been great each visit and with most of the same staff Allegro provided a great holiday for my daughter and I.

Room Tip: Ocean view are the best! On the end of the buildings are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank ogdenm
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Awesome vacation the beach was awesome and the staff was awesome. For the money this resort was way better then most of the 4 stars in cuba that I have been at. A most go hotel to stay at in cuba. They are renovation this hotel and making it really nice. This hotel has 2 Al la carte restaurant and the we're both very good.the beach was like pancake mix on your feet very nice white sandy beach and the water was very nice. Try this resort I believe you will not be disappointed.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Kengrain
Laval, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

This is not the first time that i'm going to this nice and small hotel. I love it sooo much. Why?
-Because of people who work on it. My friends.
-Because of clean rooms, close of the beach. No building.
-Because of the beach and the sea. We can well walk, and for a long time. The sea has a wonderful color and is quiet. No waves.
-Because of the simplicity and tranquillity. Relaxation.
-Because i was never sick. Yes, never.
-Because i have good prices for all i receive. Very good value.
-Because of the renovations. A new hotel with the same spirit.
O.K. that's all! I'm happy to share this with you!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
10 Thank o00Linda00o
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Ok - I am going to try to answer all the questions I wanted to know about before I went to Allegro. This was my fourth visit to the property in 10 years (before it had been the Cojimar).
The Property
Yes it has mostly been painted nice and bright orange and yellow - also some rooms updated.
As always nicely looked after grounds by the wonderful gardeners.
Rooms
I was to have the "Junior Suite" but once I heard the horror about the holes in the wood walls and all the biting insects getting in - on check in I asked for an ocean room (concrete) I did not care about the extra money I spent - did not want a wooden cabin.
My room was 113 and it was perfect for me. All I want is a clean room and be able to walk out to the beach - which I did. There were a few tiny issues: ocean door extremely hard to open and close, no screen on bathroom window slats, large gaps around front door - but I will tell you how I dealt with that in a moment.
The room was not too far from the pool and restaurant - but far enough not to get noise at night from the shows.
Ocean/Pools/Snorkel
The ocean is the selling point - yes it is shallow, but so what - I still snorkelled out and saw the most huge conch in the world (about 12-14 inches end to end) - and the colours are great, water is a nice temperature also. Fun to watch the wind surfers in late afternoon.
Take the snorkel trip from beach hut to the left of hotel - 25 pesos, tiny catmaran, you, your partner and the guide - Phillipe Island reef - teeming with life - most beautiful angel fish ever, and huge, developed corals untouched - no aparent motor boats except the daily fishing excursion. Water clear as I have ever seen - also a little exploring on the island to find a huge turtle shell...fabulous day out.
The pools, nice - but I miss the size and the way the largest pool you used to be able to walk right in like a lake...very clean.
Much improoved. Anyone who can't find something to satisfy must be very picky. I don't eat most meats and was delighted with the fresh raw spinach, cooked veggies, beans galor and wonderful baked breads as well as the abundance of fresh fish cooked to order and pasta station.
BUGS!
What the heck is going on? I was here 3 years in a row - yes once I stayed on the beach at dusk and got a few 'no-see-um" bites on my back. This year I brought all precautions - Deep Woods off - electric off machine - bug spray for the room. (oh don't forget duck tape - which is how I saved us from more peril by taping one of my bathing suit wraps against the bathroom shutters and keeping them out). Towels in cracks under door and a lot of Raid sprayed around it at night.
My husband was worse with bites everywhere. I saw people so badly bitten that they actuallly had to go to a clinic and remained in bed for the week. I was bitten mostly in the last couple of days and they itched but really did not become ugly when I got home. Calamine helped the most.
I really don't know why the no-see-ums (and I don't believe they are mosquitoes) are so bad now. My daughter was miles away in Holguin and she was also bitten to death.
Perhaps they should look into better fogging - as this could really deter people from coming back. Especially when it ruins your whole one or two weeks. I was smart, and stayed inside my room during dusk and dawn - but would love to have gone out.
The Staff
Beyond compare. Lovely people -every one of them. Two even remembered me from years ago and were so genuine. Could not do enough for us. Maids were awesome and loved the little gifts I left each day (perfume, other toiletries etc...).
Check in/out
Absolutely no problem. Same with transportation to and from the airport - great.
One final thing - Pilar - oh I dreampt of going back to that gorgeous beach - but when I did - I was sad to see the long, long walkway leading right to the restaurant, the many tourists and beach chairs, the ugly construction of the new hotel to the right and the fact that the only way to go to Media Luna now is on the drunken party catmaran with 100 other people. Very sad.
I will remember it like it was - a stretch of virgin sand, blue to the end of the earth and little or no people.
Will I go back to Allegro - likely - but we will see.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PoseyPetal
Williamstown, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed here from January 14-28 2014.

The flight was long as we hit head winds but we made it there safe and sound. Arrival at the airport was quick and easy. Beer was served on the bus to the resort. The ride from the airport was approximately 40 mins. We were the second resort stop on the route. We arrived at the resort at approximately 12pm

This resort was called Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar, it has since changed management and is now called Allegro Club Cayo Guillermo effective January 27th.

CHECK IN
Check in was very easy. We contacted the reservations manager before arriving and requested an upgrade to a Junior Suite which costs $20CUC extra per day. Included in that is a bottle of rum, 4 a la carte reservations instead of 2 as well as a "romantico" lobster dinner. Eddwin greeted us, told us to go have a drink at the bar and the room would be ready shortly...it was ready within 20 minutes. Ashley drove us to our room with our bags and gave us the tour of the resort. His English is fantastic!

ROOM: JUNIOR SUITE 307
I had requested room 309 but it was not available, this room was right next door and the walkway lead directly to the pier, pictures below. We walked into a very nice sized living room, with bathroom to the left, when you walk past the sofa you turn right thru the door to the bedroom which has a bathroom off of it to the right. The suite was a nice size although a tad too dark because of the wood. Better lighting would certainly make it brighter. As you may have read in other reviews there are cracks between the joints and they let bugs in :( Hubby to be got eaten alive. I put farmers insecticide on morning and night and didn't get bit as badly, "to-be" only put on in the evening.
The bed was very firm, with 2 large king size pillows which we folded in 2 to each have a normal size pillow. We were told the bed was a king size when we checked in but it ended up being a double, that was ok though we cuddled up :) Sheets are a little too small and crumpled up leaving us sleeping on the bare mattress at times.
Walls are not soundproof, we could hear everyone walk by.
The views from the room were absolutely wonderful!
Walking out to the pier directly from our patio was a treat until we got to the ocean. The walkway stopped abruptly leading us to an unkempt part of the beach that we couldn't even walk on due to seaweed and coral and the pier going out into the water didn't have stairs to climb someone had piled rocks up to make a couple of stairs, I didn't bother going out.

FOOD:
Buffet:
Breakfast, lunch and supper at the buffet were all good. They had pancakes, French toast and fresh cooked eggs either omelet, scrambled or fried. The cooks were all very nice! The egg cook, Dianelly was sooo sweet and remembered exactly what we wanted every time we went to her. The breakfast waitresses were fantastic, Yulia always had a seat ready for us :)
Lunch buffet was a variety of pastas, pizza, stirfry and hamburgers as well as fresh veggies and fruits all the time. Desserts were yummy!
Supper buffet one night we had turkey another night roast pork with gravy! There was also a choice of pastas and sauces as well as veggies and other choices of sides and meals.

A la carte restaurants:
Italian: Pasta was cooked perfectly al dente! The sauces were delicious. The garlic shrimp is recommended! I heard that the pizza was delicious as well, we didn't try it though.
Cuban: We only went there once during our stay, it was good as well, but we preferred the Italian.
Romantico dinner was served in the a la carte restaurant. We were disappointed in this meal, it was lobster which we usually love but when we ordered the waiter told us it may take a little longer to cook as they were still frozen :( we were expecting fresh lobster. part of mine was still raw.

Snack Bar:
This is served at the pool bar, they serve from 11am to 5pm, pannini style sandwiches, hamburgers and hot dogs.

BARS:
Lobby Bar has a great variety of drinks, they will prepare the virgin drinks with alcohol as well ;) Limonada Frappe con Vodka por favor! The barmen were super up here!
Pool Bar: Orlando is a hit with everyone! He remembers what you want to drink every time and if you don't know what you want to drink he'll prepare something special for you! His partner (can't remember his name) was also just as great!

POOLS:
There are 2 pools the upper and lower pools.
The upper pool is smaller, close to the pool bar and quiet.
The lower pool is bigger with a lot of chairs around. This pool doesn't have the slow walk in anymore, there are 4 or 5 ladders to enter and the shallow end is not even 3 feet deep. They play games and do water aerobics in this pool. I won the cannonball contest ;)
There is also a separate kiddie pool at the mini club.

RESORT:
This resort is set up perfectly. They have hotel style rooms, semi-detached bungalows and detached bungalow suites. Everything is close by. This resort is great for people who have a hard time walking, they have wheelchair ramps/access to most areas including the top pool. The resort if fumigated morning and night when the winds are low as there are a lot of bugs.

BEACH:
We were disappointed with this beach so we stayed by the pool. When the tide is in there really isn't much of a beach to walk but the water isn't high enough to play in it. When the tide is out you can walk for hundreds of feet with water reaching at its highest mid calf.

We went off the resort over to the Lobster shack on the beach at the Iberostar...oh my what a treat that was!!! Fresh lobster tails with fresh veggies!!!! The Lobster tails were huge!!! You can walk along a path from the resort to the restaurant or from the beach but we took a taxi there and walked the beach back.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our vacation. The staff is so friendly!!! We would definitely go back but not for 2 weeks this time, it would only be a 1 week vacation next time. Only because it is too remote and there isn't anything close by to do if the weather isn't cooperative ;).

I have written the same review under Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar and posted many pictures.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Melia Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,876 reviews

Been to Sercotel Club Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!