“wonderful week”

Melia Cayo Guillermo
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We spent my boy friend and I a wonderfull week at the Melia Cayo Guillermo....(dec06 - 13th --2013)
Everything was perfect,the beach,the room and the employes...
Everybody was kindly and very polite with us.
The food was very good ....and the restaurants a la carte also....
I thank you very much everydoby .It was during this week my birthday and everybody was nice with me...with their smile ....and their happiness
I think your vacation is wonderful if you think positive....in your life....
Thanks Maria at the reception she is a very nice person....and Nadir also at the bar at the reception...Thanks all of you ,hope to go back and another time... Francesca et Miguel

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank France B
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hello France

Thank you very much for your comments on this site. I will let Maria and Nadir know that you appreciate their work. It is refreshing to hear you have such a lovely time and only wish you come again to visit us in the future. Have a nice and fullfilling 2014 you and your boyfriend. Until we meet again,

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We went to mcg for my 40th birthday and our wedding anniversary November 7-21. It was our first time in cuba and my husband had emailed the hotel prior to our arrival to ask if flowers and wine could be put in our room as a surprise for me.on arrival Maikel the client services manager went out of his way to make us feel welcome and our stay special.he was very attentive to our needs and has become a close friend and truly made our holiday the best. The room was spacious, had sea view and although the air con went down the day after arrival we managed as the friendliness of the staff and location of the hotel made the discomfort bearable. The food is good, choice and standard of it was excellent. excellent choice of named brands alcoholic beverages and again nothing was too much trouble even locating lemon juice to make lemon pancakes for me daily :-) . del, yunia, rolando, osmi, jesus, to name just a few of the staff who looked after us. The beach is amazing and cleaned every day and we never tired of the view of pure white sand and turquoise sea. Can't wait to go back April for my husbands birthday....

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Hello Nicci

I appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay in our hotel. I will let yunia, rolando, osmi and jesus know that you mentioned them in your post. It is so nice to hear you enjoyed yourselves and that everything went as you expected! I hope you keep us in mind when you select your future holidays and come to visit us all again. You will always be welcomed.

Happy 2014!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Arrival: Our guide offered us beer upon getting on the bus. What he didn't tell us until people drank it was that it cost $2.50 each. I didn't want beer at that time of the night and left it on the bus. I think that it would be better for the guide to be up front and not to push beer on those who don't want it.
Luggage: The efficiency of staff unloading the luggage was nothing short of amazing. We were one of the first off the plane and our luggage was already unloaded when we got to the luggage ramp.
Staff: Our sincere thanks to Luis Ceballo and Neyalis in the main dining room. They were efficient, friendly, quick to clean up and set tables and always on the move. I hope that management realize how lucky they are to have that level of quality staff. Muchas gracias.
Food: The Italian as well as the main restaurant were excellent. Good choices and well prepared food. The International restaurant also had good food but there was a "lagoon" smell in the restaurant. Likely the fact that it sits in a lagoon contributed to this smell as the restaurant was really clean, well lit and charming. In all the bread was always fresh and really good as well as the pizza's and noodle dishes.
Breakfast: Excellent choices and the eggs were always cooked just right.
The bed in our unit was really comfortable. A plus for me as I have a hard time adjusting to a new bed and pillows. Our housekeeper was always friendly and efficient. We were on the ground floor and it was wonderful to sit outside in the morning and enjoy a cup of coffee while we watched the different kinds of birds doing their morning rituals. Staff always stopped to say Hola or Buenos Dia and we enjoyed that contact.
Coffee pot issue: There is a coffee pot in the room. As my husband and I enjoy a cup outside we were pleased to see that we could in fact do just that before heading out to breakfast. The only problem was that there was no coffee. We called three times before we got two packages. In the morning the coffee pot didn't work. We called again and someone came and fixed it but it only worked for one day. We gave up on it.
Beach:The beach area is outstanding and there was always a lot of activity around in spite of the wind.
Access to other resorts: We took advantage of visiting two other Melia resorts. Melia Sol was on par with our resort. We walked along the beach and it took about 5 minutes to get there. Melia Cayo Coco, a 50 minutes bus ride, is an adult (over 18) resort and it was an upgrade to our resort. All had the same high quality food, service and access to amenities. You must get a pass from your resort before you head out and then present it at the registration desk at the visiting resort. They will issue you a red wrist band that then gives you access to the resort. We walked to Melia Sol one day and I wouldn't recommend it. It took about an hour or so, it was hot and a very isolated walk.
Tour guide recommendation: We attended the information session the morning after our arrival and the guide mentioned that we could buy a VIP pass for $25.00 each. What that gave us was quick access through the airport as well as a private lounge where they served sandwiches, wine, beer, mixed drinks and coffee etc. The lounge had comfortable seats and the steward was circulating all the time we were there. What a deal! If you want it see your tour guide.
Bugs: We were "bug free" the whole week except Sunday, our departure day. The reason was that if there's a bit of a breeze the little "ejeeje" as the Cuban's call them are not out. On Sunday there wasn't a breeze and so the little "ejeeje" were out in full force and hungry. You cannot see them but they are vicious. Unfortunately, at about 6pm while we were waiting for the bus the resort management had a fogger go around the resort. What it was, we think, was diesel mixed with water and it blew a white fog all over the resort. Parents were running with their children and those with respiratory problems were trying to cover their faces. Me included. I think that the resort has to address this method as it's not safe.
Night entertainment: Every night a pianist played in the main lounge. She was fantastic. After her a group of musicians played in the courtyard. They were also great. From 9:45 to 1045 every night there was entertainment in the theater. These gifted dancers and performers were amazing. The only night that we didn't attend was beach night. It went on until about 1am and for those of us who didn't want to attend we had to contend with the sound of it in our rooms. It was a relief when it finally ended.
Many thanks to all who made our trip so enjoyable.

Room Tip: I think that you would be wise to avoid the entertainment area as it gets really noisy from 945 to 1...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmwood1

Dear Client

Thank you very much for such a nice feedback about our resort, i am very happy that you had ecellent vacations. I will let Luis Ceballo and Neyalis know that you praised their work. Also let me asure you, the fog against mosquitoes is not human poisonous and you are right, jejenes can be vicious but they are part of the enviroment of the leys and we have no way of getting rid of them or believe me, we would as they do not discriminate and we stay here all year long so you must get the idea. We will take into account your suggestions and details about the beach party and such and will ask the rep to let clients know that the time of spraying against bugs is 6 am and 6 pm.

We hope you will visit us again in the future,

best regards and thanks again,

Reviewed December 24, 2013

This was our 1st time at the Melia, but second vacation at Cayo Guillermo. Hotel is outstanding - loads of return guests and we could see why. The staff are excellent, from the time we arrived until our departure, we cannot say enough about the staff and the hotel. Upon arrival we were worried that our room's air conditioning wasn't working, room was hot & humid from being closed up. Within 8 hours room was cool enough and was perfect for our entire stay.
Thank you to Greter for keeping us so well entertained and always having such a wonderful smile and being so friendly to us, and even with so many people at the hotel remembering our names and having time to come and chat to us when you were passing, even trying to teach my husband how to dance!!! And also a special mention to Yenia and Noelkis for their friendliness - thank you. Helmers, our utmost thanks for always having the time in your busy schedule to always come over and talk to us and enquire if everything was all right, answering any queries and taking the time to explain -what a fine young man - an absolute asset to this hotel. Staff at the foyer bar and beach bar - thank you for keeping us so well hydrated and knowing what we needed with a few hours, never needing us to repeat our orders!!
As stated no wonder guests keep returning - its about the care and attentiveness of staff and of course the beautiful setting. We will definitely be back. We had a great ground floor room, and even when we had a huge rainstorm the one evening we had no issue with any water at all in our room, but lots along the passages and walk ways which the staff worked tirelessly to remove. However, beware not to wear flip flops when the pathways are wet - very dangerous.
Also special mention of Alex - the lifeguard - thank you for all your advice about fishing, the weather and keeping us updated of what was to come and local conditions.
Wonderful food in the buffet every meal we had - so much seafood, fresh fish and food, so many choices - we both have gained far too many pounds.
Something I want to mention here is for guests of any of the hotels in Cuba - please do not think its funny or for laughs to push a member of staff into the pool. You have no idea what the consequences of your actions are, what the costs may be to that staff member. Think before you do something. Electronics cost a fortune there and if you have done something like this 'man up' and pay for your mistake. Don't leave it for others to feel compassionate and step up to the plate for your 1 minute of 'fun'. In Cuba it takes many months' salary to replace a personal item!!! Even though we weren't involved in this incident but heard about it and others who had witnessed it, we got together and agreed to help the staff member in question. Prior to our departure we donated some money and from what we were told the others who we had met there (who were still going to be at the hotel for a longer period and had also willingly volunteered to assist) would be clubbing in as well and do the right thing. We sincerely hope that this was done after our departure.
The International Restaurant as one of our choices was outstanding, even though there was a total blackout of the whole hotel for about 15 minutes just after we arrived there, but the theme of the hotel that night was "Romantic" so candles were very appropriate. Excellent seafood, the best meal we have ever eaten anywhere on any of our Caribbean trips! First class, 5 star. Italian restaurant was good, but not as good at the other one. Ranchon luncheons were great, lovely sitting there with the view and sea breezes, very friendly helpful staff.
A wonderful hotel where you get to meet fabulous people, eat far too much, and the best cappuccinos (with Baileys or Kahlua) at the foyer bar!!! We're going to have to diet for the next few months to rid ourselves of all the extra pounds.
We can't wait to go back. We met guests there that have been going to this hotel for the past 10 years - some going 4 times a year, now that is testament to the hotel and their staff. We hope to continue and follow in their footsteps.
If you are looking for a great hotel, not as large as some of the other big chains, with attentive staff, fabulous beach and ambiance, far too much food/liquid refreshments, this is the place to be. 8 days were NOT long enough. Next time will have to be 2 weeks.

Room Tip: Ground floor (no stairs), we were in 3108, close to pool and close proximity to beach, and easy walk...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sa2can
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Hello Sa2can:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us and your concern about our staff. I will pass your comments to Yenia, Greter, and all the others. I hope to see you again soon and that you will become part of our big family of repeat clients. I am sure that when you do come, all the staff will remeber you and they will make sure that at some point, your husband can dance Cuban rythms decently!!!!! I would like to take the chance of sending our best wishes on this Christmas day and happy new year for you and your family. We will be waiting for you...

Best regards

Jesús T
general Manager

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Not a warm welcome, cool attitude at the reception. In general we were not happy with the attitude of the management, most of the gardeners and coconut men were more friendly. It typical mass tourism, all inclusive style. So including some drunk people. The buffet restaurant has many different choices, quite good. The International restaurant has the same ingredients, dinner is served in a more attractive way. Big disadvantage is the bad smell, it is on the other side of the road were I believe is the sewer.. Italian restaurant was ok, good service. The drinks were bad at this place, postmix quality. No fresh juices. Also it was hard to get bottled water, boiled water is being served in bottles but the taste is quite chemical. Some of the employees demanded tips, eg in the Lobbybar. We didn’t tip one of them who is mainly working in the evening, resulting in a really unfriendly behaviour. Not professional at all. The beach is great, Playa Pillar is 7 km further and really nice too. Much entertainment activities, quite nice. In our opinion unnecessary to start with loud volume entertainment in the early afternoon. Why does everybody has to hear the yelling?

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Marlie

First of all, let me tell you i appreciate your taking the time to write a post about us in this site. I will look over all your opinions and believe me, we will work towards the well being of our clientes, however, let me tell you that most the reports say that the strength of our hotel is precisely the staff, most say that they are friendly and educated and very helpful so it is really very chocking for us to find a bad comment regarding the staff and that is why we will pay special attention to that. Our main goal is to make the saty of the visitors worthy of coming back and again. We have explained before to some people taht the smell in the lagoon is a natural ododur due to the decomposition of the organic matter and belongs to the chain of the enviroment as they make possible the life of small crustaceous the flamingos use for feeding.

Once again, thank you very much,

Reviewed December 24, 2013

travelled here from 31st October to 15th November, beautiful resort on the beach, clean rooms with extra large bed and spacious room.(stayed on the second floor). Various different foods, suitable for all, lovely italian restuarant and international aswell as the buffet. Well stocked bar in the lobby. A friendly atmosphere with fab staff, who are always willing to chat and help you. Will be returning again soon.

Room Tip: stayed in room 1215
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Alisondean

Thank you very much for your kind words, i am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to see you back soon, our doors will always be opened for you.

Happy 2014!

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Ok this was my 5th visit and probably the best apart from my wedding. The staff were absolutely amazing!
Jimmy...... i tell you the hotel would not be the same without him, he made me laugh every day without even trying. I miss you loads.
Rocky and Alex the lifeguards....guys you are the best, we paid to take these guys out to dinner and it was the best night i have had in a long long time. Nothing ever a problem for them. Love to you both.
Mary gorgeous as ever and working very very hard. Love you Mary, and I am sorry but i cant remember the other girls name....Linet??? customer service girl She was fantastic and so so happy and moving heaven and earth for you. ....nothing ever a problem always smiling and making sure you are ok and have everything you need.
bar guys...Hector, luis enrique, roberto, yosvany and all the others i cant remember all names but every single one of you....thanks for everything you are the best!
pool bar staff.....Anna banana, tommy what a giggle, always making us laugh and always service with a smile.
Denise the cleaner at the pool bar....lovely girl. If you go over take her some magazines or give her your old ones, she spends hours looking at them.
yenia J Lo ha you crazy lady.......you made me laugh so much, such a lovely, genuine girl.....Love you honey!
Galliasca.....aaahhhhhhhh Galli what a gem. You know we love you loads. Such a special lady. always makes our hioliday, the melia would never be the same without her!
Kiki the chef. Your the best chef in cuba. The bbq on the beach was and is the best mouthwatering food i have ever tasted.....you are the best!
Emberto pizza chef......oh my your cannelloni and crepes were sooooooooo good. I had to have them every day. You are such a gentleman and a lovely lovely person,I miss your food!
The dancers were also fantastic, the aqua ballet one of the best things i have ever seen...bravo very well done!
Joel the dancer is brilliant and such a talented gorgeous guy.
Yunia at the beach bar...lovely lady...beautiful smile and fantastic service.
Roberto the thomas cook rep.....sorry for jumping on you when we arrived....I was sooooo happy and pleased to see you, great rep.
The gardeners do a fab job...eduardo thank you for the beautiful basket you made me, so lovely to see you.
And as usual all the guests we met there during our stay ...fantastic! i have never been on a holiday and met such fantastic people as i always do when at this hotel. You will always come away with new friends.
Overall another fantastic holiday with our cuban family, without these guys our holiday would be just another holiday, but you all make it so so special and we always want to return. Unfortunately it will be another yr.
Well done guys, please dont change!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank debryan
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Hello debryan

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It is true Jimmy is very special. I will pass your gretting to all of the workers you mention in your post. We count on your coming back to visit us soon.

See you .....

#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!