“10 days away is the perfect length of time for a vacation”

Melia Cayo Guillermo
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Mississauga, Canada
“10 days away is the perfect length of time for a vacation”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I had been to this resort in April and knew what to expect. This feels like the way a cottage should be as opposed to a second house. Everything is comfortable and familiar-the staff, the beach, the rooms, the entertainment and CLEAN. The cleaning staff needs to be commended for their attention to detail. LOVED the surprises with the towels everyday. I was fully prepared for poor weather as it is the fall but was pleasantly surprised. It rained at the beginning of the holiday which was a perfect low key way to decompress. The bugs were ultra nasty but that is what happens in the fall. The one thing that disappointed me was the condition of the beach with all the seaweed. The workers were kind enough to leave spaces for people to walk through but still it was annoying, The gardens were absolutely magnificent. Did someone new take over? They looked so much more attended to than in the Spring. All in all, it was a wonderful vacation spent with dear friends. Thank you to all.

Room Tip: I loved being in a bungalow-it was divinely decadent.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank stillkabuki
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear stillkabuki

Thanks for your kind words. I will make sure to comend the staff for their good services to you. I laugh at the comments of the gardens.. no nobody has taken over, you see, april is kind of spring for us, the rain makes the grass grow at an incredible speed and the plants are in a frenzy to grow. I know, it is hard to understand but in the cuban "fall" the gardens are easier to control, but thanks for your aprisal on the outcome of our gardeners. The fall has its down side as well you pointed, bugs reproduce and we are in a wild spot, also it is the time for the change of the sea weed, that is a natural process, although it can be uncomfortable for swimmers. In any event, we will take into account all you have said and we feel confident that you will become one of our usual visitors, and be a part of the big family of Melia Cayo Guillermo. All the best for you and your family, until we meet again soon,

Jesús T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Coldbrook, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was a nice resort at a affordable price. Beach was nice however narrow. Staff were nice and polite and always smiling. Rooms were clean and well laid out. Easy to get around and bus trips to other resorts was a nice way to get out and see the area. We went the last week of April 2013 and bare in mind this is the start of the rainy season. It did rain two evenings while we were there and I have never seen it rain so hard in my life. Again nice resort and talked to many who have been back to this resort several times.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike W
Dear Mike W

Thank you very much for writing your expereinces about your holiday in our resort. I agree with you completely about the rain, that is the Caribbean, when it rains, it purs as they say. You were lucky to have only two days of rain, taking everything into account, but you see, in Cuba you can never say for sure, many days can pass in april and not a single drop, and then, in may, two or more days of pure rain. I am happy that you had a good time and found the services good and friendly, that's the major goal of our company, to fulfill the expectations of our visitors. I hope to have you back any time soon. Our doors will always be opened for you.

All the best,

Jesús T
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013

On arrival we were given our first room (this was not clean)on to our second room this was also not clean and very old looking our third room was was very nice and clean,credit to the staff for sorting out our problems,after going to Mexico may be we expected to much,once we had a good nights sleep the place come in to its own nice food great pools great beach and the staff 99% were great,two of the dance team Tony & Jamilka became good freinds and we still keep in touch(even though they set me up on the stage Ha Ha)we would love to go back if we got the same rooms, i would like to thank the manager foer going out his way to make sure we had a great time,thanks again Kevin & Mary Smith

Room Tip: rooms away from the dance area
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kevin s
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Kenny and Mary Smith:
Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel in this webpage. I am glad you had a good experience at the hotel despite of the problems you had upon arrival. I could notice you had such a great connection with the staff mainly from entertainment I will pass your comments to them. Please contact Customer Service office for your next visit they will help you to arrange the room you prefer: cac.mcg@meliacuba.com. You and your family will always be very welcomed at the resort anytime you wish to come back. Until then receive all our best wishes and love,
grimsby
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is now way a 4 star stayed in better! I know when your on holiday you don't go for the room as your not in them that much. On our arrival we had to get the bedding changed it was meant to be white but it was a shade of grey with stains on them! To me this isn't good! The rooms need updating what I will say is ladies take your own hair dryer the ones in the room is on very short lead near the sink hard work trying to dry your hair! The bathrooms are very dated no plugs for bath or sink . Restaurants the international
Don't bother the menu isn't that great, the Italian is great both day time and evening. Buffett restaurant good choice but same every day.
Rancho and beach BBQ are both good at lunch time.
Please ensure your meat is cooked before eating as we experienced under cooked food!
Day time entertainment very loud and repetitive. Evening entertainment is very good expect wed when the beach party goes on until 2.30am in the morning no good if you have Thursday flight to Havana and your getting picked up for 530am!
If your dont tip each time the staff don't seem to want to know!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mandy36Grimsby
Dear mandy36grimsby:
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at the hotel in this webpage. I am very sorry we couldn’t fulfill your expectations about the hotel. The management board and I will take into account your comments about the food, the restaurants, the entertainment activities, the tipping and the update of the rooms because we always want the feedback so we can improve our services. You and your family will always be very welcomed at the resort anytime you wish to come back. Until then receive all our best wishes and love,
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We had an absolutely fabulous 2 week break here. My only concern is too few toilets in public areas and if this is the only thing we could fault it must be pretty good! 2 large pools and right on the beach. Plenty of bars and restaurants all offering something different. The staff were all really friendly and extremely talented starring in evening entertainment nightly. A section of shops at reasonable prices and a daily craft market set up near the beach with lovely people selling lovely wooden items and beautiful paintings.
We suffered badly with Mosquitos and looked like we had measles. We had plug in mosquito repellents, sprays and a £6 band bought on the plane - nothing worked! Next time I will be taking a jar of marmite, really don't know what to recommend.
The sea was lovely, really shallow and everywhere was extremely safe.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor bungalow which if it rains is much safer than trying to climb the steps to an...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Carole W
Dear Carole W.:
Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel in this webpage, I am very glad you enjoyed so much your stay at the resort. I noticed you love the rooms, the bars, restaurants and the staff. I will take into account your suggestions on the lack of toiletries in the public bathroom. Also about the mosquitos, in this time of the year they could be very harmful and we spray twice a day but sometimes it is not enough. You and your family will always be very welcomed at the resort anytime you wish to come back. Until then receive all our best wishes and love,
Norfolk, England
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Another new destination, this time Cuba. We booked with Thomas Cook as a special deal. This involved flying from Manchester - about an hour further for us than Gatwick, which meant an early start. But it all went fairly well travelling up to the airport. At the airport, check in was shambolic which meant that despite arriving in plenty of time we went through security straight onto the aircraft.

The flight itself was pretty good. We flew on an A330 and these seem to have more leg room, even for my 6 foot plus son, but not much width. I am fairly broad across the shoulders and if there were three of us that size it might be a bit of a squeeze. Food much much better - still airline food but edible.

Landed in Cuba and the processing was pretty quick coming in, and immigration were very pleasant, though they do check identity pretty carefully.

Then a short bus journey - 30 or 40 minutes or so - to the Hotel. The most obvious thing is it's miles from anywhere - there's almost literally nothing between the airport and the hotels. We knew this, but it has a knock on for many of the excursions because anywhere that is populated is about 75-90 minutes away - the nearest town being a place called Moron. This isn't an explorer's holiday, it's a doss about in the sun holiday.

Now, about that burning ball of gas in the sky. It was notably absent for the first two days or so, it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say it more or less rained continually. This is (I understand) bad luck - it brightened up a bit occasionally but it gave us the opportunity to test out the hotel's non-beach facilities.

To be honest, the place struggles when it's rainy. Almost everything is outdoors except some bars and the restaurants - the entertainments staff did their best, but it was a bit difficult with an inch of water in some places - you waded to and from your room. It's a risk of the time of year - people who'd been there longer told us we were just unlucky. A fair amount of time was spent reading and watching TV (and thinking 'will it ever stop raining !')

But it did, and the last 4 or 5 days were much better - lounging on the sand, going paddling in the sea, and so on. The weather had disrupted the beach somewhat - channels appeared and there was lots of seaweed which they were trying to tidy up.

The Hotel was built 13 years ago or thereabouts, and it does look like it needs a lick of paint all round. There's nothing actually wrong - things weren't broken or anything - but it was all a little bit tired. Everything was nicely done though, allowing for that, kept clean (a bit of a struggle in the rain but they carried on).

Food was pretty good but somewhat limited. The best was the food that was cooked in front of you - fish, meat, pizza, pasta, omelettes, smoothies and so on were available at various times of day made by the ever helpful staff. There was plenty of choice of fruit and sea food especially. Some of the buffet food was not of the same quality - if you got a piece of beef or chicken that was cooked for you it was excellent, but if it was in a stew or something it was often not that great. Nice local cheese and meat, bread was very good too.

There was a Pizza restaurant, which was good - more choice in the evening but you have to book, and a Barbecue place which wasn't so great - I had ribs and what there was was nice, but there wasn't a lot of actual meat - same problem as the barbecue. Sometimes you get a chicken leg and there doesn't seem to be much meat on it, and that seemed to be a bit of a general problem. There was also an international restaurant which we didn't visit. There was also a snack bar by the pool which did burgers and ice cream through most of the day.

The food is pretty good though - much of the limitations are I suspect to do with the problems Cuba has with its neighbour, but they do their best. Not a lot of variety - after 2-3 days you've seen most of it - but okay.

There are several bars around and drinks were kept in your fridge. These varied somewhat, again I think it is "local brand" - the Coca Cola wasn't very good, but the other soft drinks were good, the local beer is excellent and so was the wine. Cocktails are available on demand, but it's a good idea to know what you like, because there is one cocktail menu in the whole hotel (literally). If you know what you want they are very adept at making them, but they do tend to overdo the alcohol part a bit - they can be very strong. Take an insulated mug with you if you come here, you can fill it up and it'll last longer at the beach in the heat.

The TC rep was a cheery fellow but the excursions weren't cheap - some regular visitors said they had gone up significantly. We didn't go on any, partly because we didn't fancy it in the pouring rain and after because we wanted plenty of lounging time.

The Entertainments Staff were very friendly and did their best in sometimes challenging circumstances. Most of the activities were just simple fun things, they don't hassle you, you join in if you want. There was a show every evening at 9:45 (a bit late really if you have children, not helped by being advertised at 10:00) which were all (I think) done by the staff, and they were a mixture of song and dance shows, including a special one for Halloween. Good fun and quite a lot of audience participation in dancing and singing at times.

The Staff in general are all friendly - not only those who work with the tourists but cleaners and gardeners and so on. I think it's their nature, so to speak.

We didn't have any real problems with bugs, which might have been much to do with the weather - we never had long unbroken really hot spells, so it's a bit difficult to tell. Our room had a gap over the door, about 1cm or so, and I was worried we might be invaded at night but this was never a problem.

The way home was fairly straightforward, again customs and so on were pretty good (it costs you $25 to leave the country), not a huge amount in the departure lounge bar the usual tourist tat. The flight home is significantly shorter (on the way out we went in a straight line, but coming back we flew up the US coast past Newfoundland)

All in all, much as I expected, save for the weather. One suggestion would be more information. You get given a little sheet of paper with the basics, but most hotels have a book detailing the various times and so on round the hotel. Either it wasn't there or we couldn't find it.

Would we go again ? Probably not, unless we got a good deal, but that's more because we would have liked to explore a bit more, and there is really nowhere to go other than the other hotels. It would have been nice to see more of the real Cuba, and from this hotel that's pretty challenging.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank autismuk
Dear autismuk:
Thank you very much for your comments about the resort in this webpage. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the hotel even thought you were not so lucky about the weather. The management board and I will take into considerations all your comments about the food and the updating needs. I will pass your comments to the staff because I am very glad you had such a good connection with them. You and your family will always be very welcomed at the resort anytime you wish to come back. Until then receive all our best wishes and love,
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We had a fantastic time at the Melia. The staff were fantastic. The food was good for cuba. The rooms were clean and comfy even though they need up dating. The beach was very clean. We've just booked to go back, can't wait

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Daz503
Dear Daz5003:
Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel in this webpage. I am so glad you loved so much our hotel and that you are thinking already in coming back, Please get in contact with Customer Service at the hotel through this email address so they can help you arrange your next visit: cac.mcg@meliacuba.com. I could notice you loved the rooms, the food, the beach and our staff; I will definitely pass your comments to them. You and your family will always be very welcomed at the resort anytime you wish to come back. Until then receive all our best wishes and love,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Guillermo
Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!