“Amazing”

Melia Cayo Guillermo
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
“Amazing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

We had a fantastic time at the Melia. The staff were fantastic. The food was good for cuba. The rooms were clean and comfy even though they need up dating. The beach was very clean. We've just booked to go back, can't wait

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Daz503
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Daz5003:
Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel in this webpage. I am so glad you loved so much our hotel and that you are thinking already in coming back, Please get in contact with Customer Service at the hotel through this email address so they can help you arrange your next visit: cac.mcg@meliacuba.com. I could notice you loved the rooms, the food, the beach and our staff; I will definitely pass your comments to them. You and your family will always be very welcomed at the resort anytime you wish to come back. Until then receive all our best wishes and love,
Jesus T.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We travelled to Veradero about 10 years ago, and I vowed to NEVER return to cuba. I have to say I was convinced to give it one more shot and I'm so glad we did! The Melia is a wonderful hotel that is serviced by equally wonderful people. We stayed at the Melia from Oct 18 to 25, we had incredible weather and spent almost everyday on the beach. Our favorite place to nap was the huts on the sandbar in the afternoon, so incredibly peaceful, shaded and a perfect breeze.

The staff in this resort work very hard, and are very happy. They really make your vacation extra special and are always happy to chat and share information about cuba, and its culture.

The food was good, but we found they use very little (if any) seasonings so sometimes was a bit bland, but we knew that going in.

The rooms had great views (we had room 1239) the beds were cuban beds...so not incredibly comfortable but after a day of Ana pouring drinks you would definitely sleep :) The bathrooms needed some repair to them, as the tub had a few chips. But the rooms were VERY clean, and the maids did a fabulous job every day.

The entertainment crew were very fun and the shows were very entertaining!

All in all its a great resort for a really great price, its renewed my faith in Cuba and I can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: We chose room 1239, but were told that some of the other rooms were already renovated. I'd ask...
2 Thank The_Smiths0771
Dear The_Simths0771:
Thank you very much for writing your opinions about the resort in this webpage. I am so glad you had such an incredible holiday at the resort and that your second time in Cuba was so nice. I could notice you loved the beach, the food and the rooms. I will pass your comments to our staff mainly to the entertainment staff. You and your family will always be very welcomed at the resort anytime you wish to come back our doors will always be open for you. Until then receive all our best wishes and love,
Jesus T
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed at the Melia 18th Oct till 1st Nov. great time there staff were brilliant couldn't fault them 100% pure nice people,It was my Birthday and at lunch they brought me a cake, then at dinner brought me another cake. The rooms were always clean and tidy.Best ask for second or third floor due to floods in the rooms.The beach was lovely the sand was like talc.The buffet was the best to eat didnt enjoy the Italian or the international. v slow service due to only two staff waiting on.Pilar Beach was very quiet, but quite tranquill.The entire staff at the Melia was very helpfull and pleasant. Greta entertainment staff was a lovely friendly girl,hope her grandma is keeping well.We went to Cuba with another couple and Richard caught a Baracuda off the end of pier.That made his holiday!! he took it into the dining room and then kitchen and gave it to our waiter for his family.Thankyou all at the Melia Cayo Guillermo for a great 2 weeks.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms!!
1 Thank wilkies3
Dear Wilkies3:
Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel in this webpage. I am so happy you and your family had an incredible experience at the resort thanks to mainly the staff. I will pass your comments to them so they know about you. I am glad too you had such a wonderful birthday with us and I could notice too you loved the beach, the room, and the buffet. You and your family will always be very welcomed at the resort anytime you wish to comeback. Until then receive all our best wishes and love,
Binbrook, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was our second time in Cuba. We chose Cayo Guillermo because of its beaches.
I like to break my reviews down into categories so you can read about what is most important to you. We stayed November 3-10

ARRIVAL:
The guide on the bus was great. He told jokes and gave us information about the island. When we arrived at the resort we went straight to the desk for "elegance package"..... we were supposed to get a cool towel and welcome cocktail..... we did not! There was only one bus boy on at that time so we opted to find our room ourselves and carry our own bags

ROOM:
We were in room 1313. It was beautiful! We had both a garden view and on clear days an ocean view. Our room was always clean and we had lots of fresh clean towels and water etc in the fridge everyday. Our maid was Damaris and she was so pleasant and thoughtful. We were lucky that we had AC all week however 1/2 the resort did not have it for 3-4 days.

POOLS:
they were beautiful and warm and clean. It was hard to get a pool chair most days so we had to get there early if we wanted one. There was no waiter service at the pool until our last day.

FOOD:
The Buffet was fairly good. A lot of repetitious food but they did try to mix it up a bit. We found some days it was hard to get a cup of coffee and the orange juice seemed to always run out. We were always happy and well taken care of when we sat in Edels' section. He cleared the plates quickly, refilled drinks, told jokes. In the Buffet pizza area Remberto will even make the pizza and bring it to your table so that you don't need to sit and wait.
The Beach Grill- We had TERRIBLE service there. We sat for 20 minutes waiting to be given menus one day. We tried this on two occasions
La Laguna- A la carte was great. We truly enjoyed our meal. The restaurant is set for romance...... the wait staff are all friendly and the food was excellent. Our server Jose Manuel was great. He made sure our glasses were always full and brought lots of bread... yummy
Italian Restaurant- Very good...... the food was good......

BARS:
There was lots of options for bars. The lobby bar was always busy and sometimes you waited upwards of 10 minutes for drinks. The pool bar was fast and always busy..... the swim up bar was disappointing. They do not "man" it so no one really sits there.

BEACH- Very very very disappointing. We chose this resort because it boasted beautiful beaches. I understand that it rained Mon/Tues of our trip but that does not excuse not cleaning the beach the remainder of the week. There was so much garbage and seaweed all along the shore line we opted not to go to the beach and instead stayed by the pool- this was a HUGE disappointment for me.

THE OVERALL RESORT:
The gardens are well maintained. They are obviously working to continue to update the resort all the time. The staff work hard! Take bug repellent and lots and lots of it. MANY of us were covered in large bites all over our bodies.

special thanks to Yudy (kids club) and Angel from the garden staff..... they took the time to welcome us and tell us so many great things about the resort and Cuba itself

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beccafletch
Dear beccafletch:
Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel in this webpage. I am very glad you had such a wonderful experience at the resort. I noticed you loved the rooms, the food at the buffet and at the specialized restaurants; also you love the pool and the bars. I apologized for the bad service at the Ranchón and your disappointment with our beach; I can assure you that we always do our best to try to get the beach as clean as possible. Anyways we will take into account all your comments so we could improve our services. You and your family will always be very welcomed at the resort anytime you wish to comeback. Until then receive all our best wishes and love,
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

As the song goes and this hotel and it's wonderful team of staff continue to do so..
We stayed at the MCG for our ninth time between the 8th and 25th October and from the minute we arrived were greeted like family.

A couple of problems with the room we had requested but was quickly solved by the wonderful Maria on reception. Maikel and the customer services team did their very best to treat us in their usual hospitable way.

It was nice to see Jesus the general manager around and about the hotel and interacting with guests.

Our room was kept clean with fresh towels and linen and interesting towel sculptures and flowers.

As always the speciality restaurants were excellent, we prefer the international but that's our preference and were treated to superb food and service in both.

The waiting staff from the wonderful Edel and Mariylena in the morning Buffett, Luis, Kiki and Ariel in the ranchon were sublime and gave us the best service you could ask for. I personally blame Carlos for the half a stone in weight I gain each visit because of his skill with a crepe pan lol

Food is starting to vary a little bit more thanks to the introduction of the new chef, however perhaps the theme nights in the buffet should be advertised as such with flags of the countries or the animation team dressing in the countries national costume.

The snacks and ice creams at the poolside snack bar were greatly appreciated as was the service given by Anna, Tommy, and Diolexis.. It was also nice to see the resident hawk still visits daily..

The bar staff in the lobby including Edgar, Serquey, Mikel, Yosmany, Abel and Roland were as always excellent in keeping the drinks flowing and the customers satisfied.

Fantastic fishing as usual from the pier and the hobie cats, and a great place to meet friends old and new.

Last but not least, the animation team, Wilbur, Jimmy, Gali, Dariel, Lucy, J-lo, Lazuro and all the rest of the guys are what make this hotel so special. They work extremely hard in ensuring all the guests have a fantastic time and make a holiday special. A big THANK YOU to them all

I agree with a previous post that babysitting is waste of Galioska's skills and talents, but hopefully the hotel will remedy that error.

I would say if you encounter any problems whilst staying here tell them about it as they will do the very best they can to remedy any problems , usually with a smile..

Looking forward to visit number ten in February

Debi and Paul

7 Thank pauldeb64
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Debi and Paul:
Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel in this webpage. Thank you very much also for being so faithful to the hotel because you form part already of the big family of Meliá Cayo Guillermo ‘repeat guests. I am very happy that you had such a great experience at the resort, we also will take into consideration your suggestions about Gali, she is a very good entertainer. Also I will pass your comments to all the staff I bet they all will be very happy to have you back next year, our doors will always be opened for you and your family, until then receive all our best wishes and love,
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

what a great hol for first time in cuba, and excellent choice of hotel. You are greeted with a genuine smile and welcome from reception and this carries on through all the staff. rooms are well looked after and cleaned every day great towel sculpture with flowers thanx Kevina. Restaurant is clean and welcoming and you are well served, food is plenty of variety meat and fresh fish cooked to your wish, beef was 5star, International restaurant is class with great food well presented. Italian is the same for a good night out.The beach is stunning, white soft sand, cleaned every day from what seaweed does come in. the sea is a warm bath that we spent hours in,with beach close at hand to have a welcoming drink. entertainment is very professional with the dancers especially in the pool. enjoyed so much I will be back next year. thanx every one at the Melia. Just one more if you want to test Ronaldos rock music knowledge have a go cos hes good at the lobby bar plus you are well served Rock on Ronaldo. Well done Jimmy for learning us archery and shooting and having good laugh. cannot wait for next year thanx every one at Melia.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank le559
Dear Le559:
Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel in this webpage. I am very glad that you and your family had such a good time the first time in Cuba and at the resort. I could notice also that you loved the food, the restaurants, the beach and the entertainment staff. You and your family will always be very most welcomed at the resort anytime you wish to come back, until then all our best wishes and love ,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at MCG between Oct 18th and Oct 25th with our three daughters - 8, 5 and 6 months. We initially were put on the 3rd floor in two separate rooms but with the baby, it was tough to drag the stroller and gear up 3 flights of stairs. We asked for two adjoining rooms and they were able to accommodate us the next day. With three kids - it was really nice to have two rooms to spread out in. The rooms are a bit dated but were clean and adequate for our needs. The mini-fridge was always stocked with water bottles and the rooms were cleaned before noon.
The food was mediocre overall... buffet had lots of choices for everyone's needs. The sandwiches and fries at the pool bar were a hit with the kids. The a la carte restaurants were not bad. Italian was better than the International. The service at the International restaurant was quite slow due to fewer wait staff. There was also a not so pleasant odour in and surrounding the restaurant since there was a lagoon surrounding it.

The pool was really nice and the kids loved it. The beach was gorgeous, shallow and warm - one of the nicest I've seen in Cuba. The pier is really nice too but can do with some repair - on the benches and loose wood.

The staff is what makes the place really lovely. They are kind and attentive and my children were treated like little princesses. Kudos to all the staff there.

Some tips - get up early to reserve the cabanas at the pool. It was really hot and not much shade. Bring lots of bug repellent - sand flies and mozzies were brutal! Tip well as the staff really work hard and deserve it.
Highly recommend this place for families with small children.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Shivanee76
Dear Shivanee76:
Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel in this webpage. I am so glad that you and your family and kids had such a great holidays with us. We will take into consideration all your suggestions about the food and the restaurants. I could notice you loved the beach, the pool and you had a good connection with the staff. Thank you very much also for recommending our hotel for children and families. You and your family will always be very most welcomed anytime you wish to comeback, until then receive all our best wishes and love,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Guillermo
Sol Cayo Coco
Sol Cayo Coco
#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,114 reviews

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!