“A holiday to remember”

Melia Cayo Guillermo
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I returned yesterday (20th) following a 2 week stay at MCG. Firstly I would like to say I actually booked iberostar next door but got moved due to the hotel sing closed for refurbishment and thank god I did get moved! Iberostar looked awful! I am going to try to give an honest review based on my experiences and if anyone has any questions feel free to contact me.
Food & drink-
The buffet was ok, better than most I have had buy by the end of the 2 weeks it does get a bit boring. They make pizza and pasta at your request which was a win for me, pasta man was my best friend haha. The Ice cream was a win with my now fiancé (got engaged during our holiday). The service at the beginning of the holiday was fab. Constantly filling water glasses and removing plates straight away. However we noticed during the 2nd week this dwindled off to the point we had to put our plates on an empty table to get the waitresses attention! They seemed more interested on the people who are frequent visitors there!There was one male and one female waitress that were fab but I didn't get there names... I'm sure you will see who I mean! The international restaurant was posh... Not much choice for non fish eaters though! My partner did love the fish there though. The Italian was my favourite but I love Italian food! Good service fab food and decent choice. You can also go here for lunch which out reservation and you can get 'takeaway' pizzas from here! The pool bar food was standard eg hotdogs, peninies etc however me and my friend I met during my stay were both poorly and refused to eat there Again! The swim up pool was was fab but tool ages to get served! All the bars have the good brands of alcohol however the cola isn't coca cola but still tastes the same.
Beach-
When the sea was out the beach was beautiful! There was some seaweed when the sea was in but that can't be helped and it was cleaned up. There are some canoes and pedal boats you can use for free and a speed boat that takes you snorkling in a coral reef for a small price. The snorkling off the beach is good too it's best round/ under the pier! There isnt a lot of shade on the beach and the breeze makes you not realise your burning so be warned! Ray and Alex the lifeguards definitely need a mention! They were fab. They have become good friends. Alex will set you up to go fishing if you ask him.
Pool-
Was a nice break from the salt water and so refreshing on a hot day! It has lots of different depths which is good too! There still isn't a lot of shade but never had an issue getting Sunbeds.
Room-
Room was reasonably clean but I don't think the floor was cleaned once. The bed was big but hard and not very comfortable. Air con was fab! Bathroom was a but shabby could do with being refurbished. The shower leak so we had to mop the floor with towels and the shower Liever was broken as was the plug so we had to call reception who sent someone within the hour but all he did was fell us to use the tiny pin to turn shower on and said he would be back with a new part that he never came to fit. There's a safe that is free to use, a big closet, good tv and a decent balcony. The chairs on the balcony were tiny and it you sat in then you just starred at the brick wall!
Trips-
We swam with the dolphins which was fab. I have done of before at discovery cove in Florida but this time was different and had longer with the dolphins too. They don't have a lot of room to swim about though! Would be nice to see them have a bit more room. We also did party in the cave which was fab. It was just like a club in a real cave! There were a few local lads round the girls though! Made it a bit uncomfortable. The bus journey there was interesting. The driver seemed to think he was a rally driver and was going fast down the windy dirt roads. At one point he made everyone scream!
Snorkling in coral reef was well worth the money. There are so many fish to see and you get quite a while there too. We also did the speed boat and mangrove snorkling trip. My fiancé loved driving the speed boat (they are only little 2 seater boats) and the snorkling was good there were lots of fish.
Staff- were mainly helpful and keen to please (espically if you tip them)!
Entertainment- in the day it was ok... There were things for children and also activities for big kids like water aerobics and volleyball. In the evening there was often a band outside the lobby bar and there was a show every night. They didnt start until 9:45pm which we felt was a bit late maybe 9pm would be better. The shows weren't great maybe if they Involved the guests a bit more rather than dancing every night it would be a bit more interesting. Maybe a mr and mrs melia hotel competition would be good fun. The aqua ballet show was brill though!

I would also like to say a big thank you to the customer services and Michael the manager who helped my partner organise a fantastic proposal for me during our holiday. It happened in the little gazebo where the weddings take place on the beach front with roses and champagne there it was perfect!

As I said before any questions feel free to ask!

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank LauraScarborough92
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear LauraS:
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at the resort in this webpage. Congratulations on my part and our staff because of your engagement and I am so glad everything was as you deserve it. I reading your comments and at the same time taking notes of some not so good things you mentions about the resort and me and the management board will do the best to improve or change these aspects. In general I could say that you enjoyed it because now this holiday forms part of your memories so you and your fiancé will be welcome to come back at the hotel maybe to get married if you wish to. Receive all our love and best wishes
Jesús T.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,434)

Reviewed September 19, 2013

My partner and 2 kids (10) and (5) spent two amazing weeks here at the end of August, it was simply the best holiday we have had.

We arrived not really knowing what to expect from Cuba, initially at the airport it is very serious. However as soon as the Thomas Cook rep, Roberto, met us and took us on the coach, the mood changed, he was a funny guy who gave us a brief history of cuba on the way to the hotel.

We arrived at the hotel within 30 minutes and we're greeted with cocktails and canapés, we were then shown to our rooms, they were spacious and clean, with the added bonus of Canadian TV :). This kept the kids happy in down time. The complex is lovely, with lots of lush greenery and there are pools with fish and turtles. The beach is breath taking and is a real paradise, words cannot do it justice,there are talapia who swim round you and the sea is so warm.

The food is good, there are 3 places to eat during the evening, the Italian, which is great, the main Food hall with the buffet, which has the same each night, but that's not to take away from the food, which is fresh and varied. There is the a ala carte, which we visited once, which is just okay. The hotel is missing a trick as there is a lovely restaurant called the old man and the sea by the beach which we would have used most evenings given the option.

The kids had the best time ever, the entertainments team, particularly Jenia and Jimmy are amazing and reAlly made the holiday special. They arrange poolside games during the day but the real treat is the evenings where the kids get to star on the entertainments stage, and my two had a whale of a time. There s a dance troupe who perform a different show nightly and the skill and hard work they put into each show is breath taking.

I have singled out Jenia and Jimmy, but the truth is that all the staff were warm and friendly, particularly Osmielkys and Eromaidis, who made each evening meal a pleasure to attend.

We cannot wait to come back but we can't find flights from London as I write, but we will certainly be making the trip to melia cayo guillermo Soon.

Worth noting, that a peso tip goes a long way, and to tip everyone not just the staff at mealtimes. Also take those thermal cups to keep your drinks cool.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank bazualdo

Dear bazualdo:
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experiences at the resort. I am very happy you and your family had such a great time at the resort that you are thinking already about coming back. You enjoyed most of everything like the pool, the beach, the food, the restaurants and the entertainment for kids and adults. I will mention your comment to the entertainment team as well as the staff in general. I hope you find a flight to come back because you will be very welcomed at the hotel. For you and your family, we send from Meliá Cayo Guillermo good and best wishes.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We have stayed at the Melia six times and would loved to go back. It's paradise with the most lovely people in the resort looking after you to make your holiday special. And it has the most perfect tranquil beach...a drem come true.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Marie C

Dear Marie C.:
Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel. I could notice you are part of our family of repeat guests and I am very glad you enjoyed as always your 6th time at the hotel. I will let our staff know about your comments about them because I am sure they will be very happy to welcome you back at the resort whenever you decide to visit us, until then receive all our love and best wishes

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We traveled as an extended family of 4 adults and 3 children.The children being a four year old and twin girls just under two years old. My wife and I have been to the Cayos before,but always found the mosquitoes a problem, thus we were "pleasantly surprised" by the lack of the problem insects. My son chose the resort and we took the advantage of the free child flights etc for the twins. With having the children we could not take full advantage the hotel offered by way of entertainment at night etc as somebody was always baby sitting. The hotel is ideal for children,with the pools and beach being very child friendly. Meals were taken mainly in the buffet,and the staff fell over backwards with their help etc. The beds and pillows in our room were the most comfortable that we have found in Cuba.
Plus Side.
The staff --- the most important asset this hotel has.
Beach---- child friendly
Pool ---- child friendly but could do with a little more shaded at the child pool
Rooms --- Clean and every thing worked
Childrens Entertainment Team[day time] Excellent
Food ---- Very good selection of places to eat and for Cuba a pretty good selection of things to eat for both adults and children. We did enjoy the simple grill near the beach and would love to see this in other Cuban hotels that we frequently visit
Booze ---- Absolutley blxxdy marvelous [20 year old rum cannot be bad]
Minus Side
No bacon at breakfast --- only a tinned ham type offering

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank ray531

Dear ray531:
Thank you very much for writing this comment about the resort. I am so glad you and your family especially the children had such a great time with us. It was good you did not have any problems with the mosquitos we spray in certain hours of the day to try to repel them. Our hotel is characterized for being child friendly because there are lots of families with children that visit us very year and they all have good opinions like you about our resort. Our doors will always be open for you and the kids any time you wish to visit us and become part of Meliá Cayo Guillermo big family, until then all our love and best of lucks

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We just returned from our amazing vacation. We stayed at this resort Aug 30 to Sep 06,2013.
This had been our third time and each time our stay is better and better.

The hotel is well managed and very clean. The rooms are spacious, clean and maintained well
( we stayed in room 1230).

Food: lot's of variety. fresh and delicious. lot's of fruits and vegetables. A la Carte restaurant was amazing. Special thanks to Hosa and Gusto at the international restuarant. Their care and attention were unforgetable.
Beach: white sand,clean, clear water and lovely view. Beach towels are available on a daily basis with no problem.

special thanks to all who made this vacation even more special. Especially,thanks to Yanetsy, Mary and Linet. Their attention and kindness were superior. Their customer service is amazing!!!!

We would like to recommend this resort to all. You will have an amazing and relaxing vacation.

We will for sure be back with our family and friends.

All the best,
Sam & Polina Vendrov

Toronto, Canada

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank polina001

Dear Sam & Polina Vendrov:
Thank you very much for writing your experiences at the resort. I could see you are part of the repeat guests’ family of Meliá Cayo Guillermo and as always you had a great time with us. I am very glad you liked the room, the food, the restaurants and the beach. Also you mentioned the girls at Customer Service so I will let them know about you I am pretty sure they will be happy to hear from you. You, your friends and family will always be welcomed to come at the hotel anytime you wish, so please until next time receive all our love and best wishes

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect from this resort, but sadly I was disappointed (the pictures made it look great). I would say the worst part of this resort is the food; you're there for 8 days and every single breakfast, lunch and dinner is the exact same food, not to mention the quality and taste of the food is just awful, seriously. I ate nothing but bread and french fries the entire week. The resort itself, much like the rest of Cuba, is not very well kept up; the resort is apparently only 13 years old, but it looks as though it's from the 60s; for example the wooden boardwalks are so uneven with screws and nails sticking up that you could impale your foot or fall flat on your face. You can see throughout the entire resort that it is old and really needs a renovation. The rooms are much better than the rest of the resort, definitely not "5 star" as they claim to be (maybe by Cuban standards it is a 5 star) but they are livable. Air conditioner in the room was a god-send and the bed was pretty good, shower was not the greatest, a little dirty but meh - I got over it. At least we had hot water whenever we needed it.

The staff are the best part of this resort. Everyone was so friendly and laid back and funny. That was pretty much the saving grace of this resort in terms of quality of stay.

In a more general sense, Cuba just isn't that nice. Sure it's hot and sunny, but the beaches are not kept up well, the water is not the best and there is more to do and see around other resorts in other countries.

I think a trip to this resort in Cuba is a good idea if you're looking for a very "meh" type trip. Something more affordable and definitely no frills. It's also great if you want to lose weight as you'll basically eat nothing but water and bread the entire stay.

Also, one important thing; some people we were traveling with left the resort with hundreds of bed bug bites all over her body. Oddly, my room had a mattress that was sealed with plastic, hers did not. Be very careful of your mattress and if you do go to this resort you should ask for an, apparently, "plastic wrapped mattress room".

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same from what I saw.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Corey B

Dear Corey B.:
Thank you very much for taking your time to write your experiences at the resort. I could notice, your holiday at our resort was not what you expected because of some aspects you mentioned before. We will take all of them into account so they could be improved day by day. At the hotel there are no bed bugs, what we have here because of the time of the year are mosquitos and jejenes and if any customer leave the patio door open they could get into the room. I could notice too that you made a good connection with our staff and I will make sure to pass your comments to them. You will be always very welcomed at the hotel if you decide to come back, until then receive all our best wishes
Jesùs T.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We went with Nolitours from Canada to MCG to celebrate our wedding aniversary, my birthday and the birth of our first granddaughter. Spent a wonderful week from Aug.30 to Sept.6 2013. This was our second time at los Cayos. The first time was Melia Cayo Coco in May 2012.
Three days before arrival we sent an email to customer service requesting a room closest to the pasarela Hemingway on a second floor and we were delighted with the room they gave us! Room 1237 was perfect. Clean, quiet and has a beautiful ocean view (a treat ) from the right side of the balcony.
Comparing to Melia Cayo coco we found that the buffet was a bit inferior in variety and quality but nothing significant enough. You can have good meals and be happy. Now, the show at night is far superior to MCC. The custums OMG! are beautiful, and the dancing on stage is far more energetic. Congrats to the guy that impersonates Michael Jackson. OMG! You could think that Michael its alive. A big hug to the guy the impersonates Madonna..what a character! A real pleasure to see his act. We had an unforgettable laugh with the guy that impersonates Tina Turner. OMG!! he was so good. Imagine a tall black guys with a blonde wig..hilarius!
We went on the catamaran on a snorkeling trip stopping at playa pilar one of ten most beatiful beaches in the world. Incredible experience! The lady that kept us all well hydrated is something else! Her name is Mylady.. a real entertainer. The captain and the cook were most protective of us all and such good guys!
Also, we took an excursion to Moron, Ciego de Avila, croc farm, speed boat ride, bicitaxi ride with a great Cuban lunch..another exciting experience. Special thanks to bus driver Roberto and the tour guide Rafael. Most informative which help a lot understanding the Cuban culture.
The rep. of Nolitours at the hotel..her name is Dannay..she is fantastic! gave us some good advices for the trip and she so excited about my husband taking underwater movies at the reefs. She loves the marine life.
The attendants at the buffet are most glad to have you over and really make you feel like royalty. Our Special thanks to Maiyelena that always remembered what we like and greet us every day with her wonderful smile. To Edelma that was always so nice and corteous, to Ismary that was so kind to record a few words for us "la artista" according to Edelma and to Yaniel that remembered the first time I ask him for cola light at the lobby bar and what I said to him. Details that seem so insignificant but when think about it it makes you feel so good! Like, so important!
Another very special thanks going to the Chefs..this guys are the most incredible..just to think that they have to work in roasting heat preparing our food makes me dizzy. Most courteous and kind! I would like to mentioned the lady Chef that made my omelet..she was amazing!
The lady that cleaned our room every day.. we've changed a few thank you words just before check out and that was the only time we saw her..it was kind of rushy on our part and I did not ask her name. She looks tall,dark hair with beautiful clear eyes..I would love for her to hear that we send her many thanks for cleaning our mess every day.
The gardeners! exquisite taste and such "green thump"
The guys that come to the beach every day to pick up algae, the security guard at the beach everybody really does the best for the Hotel with nobility.

There is one thing that we love about Melia; the whole crew, from the reception where you'll find professionals looking so neet to the most simple detail up to when you leave everything its so well organized, so impecable and every one so dedicated that you don't really want to go home.
At the lobby bar we had our welcome greetings everytime we approached the counter for refreshments and believe me, it was many times. Many thanks to Adrina, Elieser that walk a long way to bring us extra serving of cola light while we waited to be pick up to return to the airport. Totally unexpected.. he just came with more cola, and to Jorgito that was always so kind and helpful.
We had a few surprises from the hotel which really made our celebrations special. Thank you Jany! Jany is the person that takes care of reservations for the specialty restaurants. She reserved for us a great dinner at the Italian restaurant for our wedding anniversary ( this restaurant needs air condition) great service. Needless to say that Jany's disposition to make you feel good works great. She is such a beauty!
A few times we had to call customer service and it was Mary Gutierrez extremely helpful with the matter we had at that time! she takes care of organizing weddings and Linet Garcia a wonderful young lady that went out of her way to help us and prepared another great diner for us at the International Restaurant to celebrate my birthday with a nice cake and champagne Also she sent us a special service to the room while we were dinning.
And, I would not forgive my self If I did not mentioned Lazaro. Lazaro turn out to be a good friend! Had some good chats with him..very nice to have shared some conversations in different occasions. Lazaro is the security boss. I guess we were safe with him..LOL! Just joking!! Thank you Lazaro for everyting. Hope to see all of you in December again.
Conclusion: We will always come back.
Thank you Melia for another wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: 13-1240 rooms are quiet. I was in 1237 got ocean view on right side of balcony. The whole block of r...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Judith J
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Judith J.:
Thank you very much for such a wonderful review about your first experiences at the hotel. I am so glad it was that good and it is not going to be the last because, for the joy of everybody, we will see you again in December. I will definitely pass all your comments to our crew and especially to Lázaro, they all will be very happy to hear about you. As part already of MCG family, you and your husband will always be very welcomed. Until next time, receive all our best wishes
Best regards,

#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Sercotel Club Cayo Guillermo
Sercotel Club Cayo Guillermo
#5 of 7 in Cayo Guillermo

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!