“Holiday 2013”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
glasgow
“Holiday 2013”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Had a fantastic holiday here, only downside was the mosquitos....they were horrendous. Staff fantastic especially MILSA and YANISIS in the buffet at breakfast, also Sergio and Ronaldo in the bar and tommy in the pool bar

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank blondieglasgow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
hull
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Just got bavk yesterday from two weeks of paradise.dont know how anyone could complain! Yes buffet was reppetative,but you are in cuba..their own people dont eat like that with meat and fush and puddings every day so think yourself lucky, the food was lovely and plenty of it. The main bar staff were lovely..seurgeo being our favourite,he smiled from morning till night a lovely man. Buffet staff ,were very nice and polite especially pedro and boris.could have done with more to do at night,but we had lovely evenings in the bar and rolando was a pleasure,what a lovely man. The only complaint i have was not being able yo book a meal in the resteraunts,there was no one at the desk then found someone called Banya??? And she said we were too late and they were full,she got quite nasty with me which upset me as we were entitled to eat there,it really nniyed me when another couple asked after me and she gave them table. Our room was amazing,a bungalow which was beautifully decorated and cleaned every day,the fridge was re stocked daily too. The beach is amazing and the staff work very hard keeping it lovely and clean. Sammy the lifeguard kept us well entertained everyday and was great with my son. I would advise all my friends to visit this hotel its excellent value for money.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank susan d
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My stay at this resort was absolutely phenomenal! The entertainment team was amazing, very friendly, always smiling and amazing people. Gleibi, Leo, Yenia, Luis and Dianelis really stood out in being my favorite entertainers. I will be going back to this resort in December once again because those 5 entertainers really made my trip unforgettable.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank KamilBurghardt
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

People are so nice , hotel its beautiful , very clean , airconditioner , fridge , iron , everything we neded in our room , different kind of food cooked beautifuly , everyday fresh water they brought in our room with beer and some drinks , i wish to go back again , we didnt really expect hotel will be so nice but we got suprise

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 170Angela
Laval, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Four times in Cuba , 2 times in Cayo Guillermo . first time 3 years ago in Daiquiri . This time in Melia Cayo guillermo and decide NEVER COME BACK
First : arrive at 10 pm . : Buffet is closed ( that we know )
the snack bar has only Hamburger no more Hot dog !!!

Get into the room # 32227
The smell is terrible , the pillows are all dirty , smell badly , I have to remove them from the pillow and it hard to get to sleep with that smell !!!!!

the problem solved 2 days after because their washing machine broken !!!!

a lot of mosquitos !!!! I never have to use the spray before , but this time , the mosquitos will follow you until the plane ,

The foods in Buffet are so bad
please don't choose Beef , if you don't want to loose your teeth !!!!

there is no activities , on the first day I have to go to the Lobby and ask them how come it so quite ?? there is no aérobic at the beach ....they have one on the next day and the girl does not even know how to stimulate people .......
Really dispointed this time in Cuba , especialy at the airport when we come back , the lady at the counter says : she will try to see if she can put us ( 4 ) together and she said : I HELP YOU , YOU HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can beleive she can say that , and I really don't know what to do , if I give her money may be they can say I have something hide in the suitcase ??? so I just ignore but I find out after that she alwasy repeat the same things : CAN NOT GET THE PLACES FOR YOU TOGETHER , ECT ....so people have to tip her few peso !!!!
Check out when you arrive at the airport of Cuba now . And please watch out the Duty Free shop also . you paid by Canadian $ , they gave you back the change in Peso !!! and they made mistake on your purchase and they don't give you the bill , so PLEASE CAREFULL

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AgnesTB
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We chose this resort after reading review after review of greatness, as well as seeing a high percentage of return guests. (some well into the double digits!!) We have also had a fantastic experience with a sister property in another area of Cuba. (Melia Las Dunas – Cayo Santa Maria- 3 x now!)

We took our 8 year old son – as the beaches at MCG promised to be more suited to him, and his love of the water. The water on Cayo Santa Maria can be quite rough, and we didn’t want to take a chance with his safety. We also liked the small size of the resort. Each morning he would run down to the beach and check to see what colour the flag was, and run back to us and give us a full report! Loved being able to do this!

All in all, I have to say that we were disappointed with some aspects, especially given the slew of amazing reviews. We really didn’t like the beach – although it was shallow, it was full of sea grass (not suggestion this be removed, just stating a fact) and in no way would I consider wading out into knee deep weeds a pleasurable experience. We opted to walk past the edge of the property, down toward the next hotel, and park our towels on the bare sand (no loungers out this far) in order to have a sandy beach experience. IMHO, the beaches are the best part of Cuba, next to the people, and we felt ‘cheated’ Most other reviewers rave about the beach here, which I really don’t understand! The sea grass seems to be a permanent fixture – as it is clearly visible as a dark mass on Google maps. This is the first time I’ve encountered this anywhere in Cuba and it was a real sticking point for me. Again, not suggesting the hotel remove it, but I just don’t understand the raving about the beach. (yes, it IS pretty to look at from a scenery perspective) Kite surfers were fun to watch, but some did come in awfully close, and there was one very near miss with a kite that slammed down and nearly took out a family that was walking past, this would have easily caused serious injury had it struck any of them, especially the children.

Rooms: We communicated with the hotel in advance, and were placed in a 2nd floor room with a very distant and obstructed Ocean view. We had 2 double beds pushed together, as well as a folding cot for our son. The beds were basic, and one side was so bad that the springs made a banging noise as I got in and out of bed each time. Most uncomfortable sleep I’ve ever had at a resort. My son’s cot was the best bed of the lot, and he slept like a baby. Rooms could really use a bit of a sprucing up, but are a decent size, and have everything you need. I liked the layout of the standard room, and how the dressing area and closet were separate. Bathroom needed a redo. Showerhead was pitiful, and while the water was hot, it only came out in a trickle.

Food & Drinks: this was hit and miss. The buffet had an extremely limited amount of choices – probably about 1/3 of what Melia Las Dunas has to offer, and there were times we were quite disappointed. A’la cartes were pretty good, and we love the option to have a sit down lunch with a menu to order from (Pizzeria and Ranchon offer this) Drinks were good at all bars.

Bugs: we visited during a cold front, so most days were extremely windy, and cool, and nights were downright cold. This must have been keeping the bugs at bay, because on our last 2 days things warmed up, and the bugs were horrendous! Waiting for our bus to the airport, we were annihilated by no-see-ums from the dry Lagoon – by the time we landed back home, all of our legs were covered in huge welts!

Staff: I don’t know if I’d ever visit this property again, but if I did, it would be 100% due to the staff – they are AMAZING! Every good thing you’ve read is true – they are absolutely lovely, take time to get to know you, without being obtrusive, and REALLY go the extra mile. They also seem to have a very good ‘team’ vibe going – and all seem to like one another, and get along. There are tons of smiles, hugs and kisses with every shift change, or if one staffer visits another area. This was really nice to see – a genuine sense of camaraderie really makes the guest feel even more special. Because it is a small resort, we got to see many of the same employees over, and over again, which enhanced our experience. They all got to know our son quickly, and he was lapping up the hugs and kisses from the beautiful Senioritas, and the fist bumps and high fives from the Hombres! He fell in love with a few of the girls, and they were adorable with him, one of the dancers (Glavis??) pulled him up onstage one night during the end of the show, and our little introvert was in all his glory! The staff does an outstanding job, and should be commended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jen_Ha
Laval, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The place was clean, rooms were basic but nice. The staff was wonderful. The food a la carte was good but in the buffet, really not great. Salt is the only spice. Desserts not worth the calories. Fruit was a hit a miss..mostly miss. Mosquitoes were everywhere. The staff fumigate at least twice a day and unfortunately the vacationers are fumigated along with the bugs. Beautiful beach but seaweed in the water. Not much shade. People reserve all shady spots early in the morning and then most of them are empty half of the day while we roast in the sun next to chairs taken with a book and towel. There were certainly not enough umbrellas/huts to hide out. Considering the heat and humidity that was really lacking. Certainly did not get my moneys worth and will not return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angie G
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Angie G.:
Thank you so much for writing your opinions about the hotel because that is very important to solve all the problems you mentioned before. I apologize for the inconveniences at the resort and i assure you that we will work a lot to give right solutions. Please do not hesitate in coming back i am very sure you will have a better experience. You will always be welcomed at the hotel, until then all our best wishes
Regards
Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!