“Absolutely pleased!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Rawdon, Canada
“Absolutely pleased!”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I just returned from a 2 weeks stay at Melia Cayo Guillermo and had a wonderful time over there. This was a very last minute vacation for me as I booked my trip 4 days before leaving and I couldn't be more pleased with this location! I travel alone and felt completely safe. All staff were friendly and attentive. It was my 4th trip to Cuba but 1st in that area and I intend to return to this hotel. The beach is absolutely beautiful and I have never spent that much time on a beach before. With the constant breeze, the waves, the view of the pier and seagulls made me drifted into contemplation and deep relaxation every day. This was my most relaxing vacation ever!

Cayo Guillermo is remote and besides the tours that are offered, there are no other local activities. That makes it a perfect place for a relaxing vacation but if you like to hop on a bus and go visit the next town by yourself (like in Varadero or Holguin) that is not possible.
The entertainment staff at night goes to great lengths to present us a great show every night.
I am always impressed with the dancing shows. My only comment would be that I found the shows started a bit late at 9:45. After a full day spent outside in the sun, I was ready for sleep at 10!

The bathrooms are a bit outdated and would benefit from an upgrade but I didn't miss anything. The buffet had variety and was sufficient. I personally appreciated the choice of
fresh fish and seafood and this was my dinner everyday. Special thanks for Ramon, the cook at the "fish" grill who always cooked my fish perfectly!

One advice; during this period, the mosquitoes are quite active in the evening, especially after the rain, so make sure to bring some protection.

Room Tip: The Melia is a mid size resort so every building is well located. I was on the superior floor and it...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank DharmaHeart
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear DharmaHeart
Thank you very much for taking your time to write about us. Finally it was good for you to book in the last minute and I am glad you are very pleased with your stay the resort. It is great that you could relaxed and enjoyed the beach. Please feel free to come back any time you wish, we will be waiting for you, until then all our best wishes
Jesús T.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was our 2nd time in Cuba this year.This time was for my daughter's wedding.I really didn't enjoy our 1st trip to Cuba and it wasn't at Melia Cayo Guillermo.

First ,i would like to thank : Mary(wedding coordonator) who took care of the wedding arrangements.Even if Mary's mother was sick at the hospital,she never let my daughter down with the wedding arrangements,she came anyways on the 6th of May to assist at the wedding.She is so proffessional and really takes her job with heart.While she wasn't at the resort ,she sent Yannetsy to take over her responsabilities for the wedding and did a wonderful job for us.
Yannetsy and Linet were very good to us and my daughter.We are very greatful to them.

Big thanks to jenna at the pool activities,you are very good and we had a lot of fun .many thanks!!!

Thanks to Luis Enrique at the bar for the great smile,humor and service.You are really good and with you we felt just like being home.Big thanks!!!

The food was excellent at this resort,everywhere:buffet,grill etc....
The service at the buffet was simply the best ,thanks to Somielsky and our funny banana cooker Emberto.2 great person!!!! Thanks again!!!!

If ever you would like a place to get married well i highly recommend Mary at Melia cayo Guillermo.

We miss you guys already and hope to see you soon.Big kisses to everybody!!!! xox

Marcel

6 Thank Marcel B
Dear Marcel
Thank you very much from your comments about the resort and the staff. I am glad your daughter's wedding was wonderful i am very proud of the staff of the hotel they are the most important around here because they made very special your stay and the big celebration. I will pass your comments and regards to the staff that made your stay unforgettable. Thank you very much in advance for your wishes to recommend this hotel. Feel free to come back any time you wish you will always be very welcomed, see you soon
Beaches,Toronto
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were back at the Melia March 15-22 - our 21st trip (YES it is that good!!) and with the many changes I thought a quick update to my reviews was needed. For mare detailed info have a looks back to my older reviews - unless mentioned here they still apply.
The new GM - Jesus - is doing a great job - he is everywhere on the property and has a great eye for detail - all the fountains and water features are working - and the maintenence to the facilities is happening constantly - well done!!
There is also a new Chef - a Canadian - who just arrived the week we were there - but he has lots of background working in and with Cubans. It will take time to put his stamp on things but I noticed some changes right away - best sauces/gravies we've had there ever.
Maikel and his team at Guest services are fabulous - if you have any issues they will look after you. It's a tough job looking after hundreds of people with different expectations but they do a great job and work hard to make everyones holiday a goosd one.
Everything else remains a before - great service as always from Galioska (loved the daily Sangria), Sergei and the boys at the pool bar The dining hall wait staff (esp. Yaniel) Chef extrordinaire Kiki and Alfredo and the Ranchon staff, Ismail, who makes according to my son the BEST fruit punch in Cuba at the Beach bar and everyone there - what is great is that every guest seems to find their place - and their people to make their week great.
Enjoy your trip - we can't wait tio get back there!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank JRG_me
Dear JRG_me
Thank you very much for your nice comments about our resort. I am very glad this was your 21th time at the hotel and that you are planning already to come back again, thank you very much. Also I am grateful because you mentioned some positives changes at the hotel. I know the staff is very important for you for that reason I will pass them all your comments, as always, you will always be very welcomed any time you wish, until them all our best wishes.
Hamilton
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was our third visit and saw some positive changes. We arrived on May 3rd for one week check in was fast and friendly, We were celebrating our 30th Anniversary and a big thank you to Linet for making it so special you are amazing and an important part of the Melia. We made a request with Linet for a certain room which were were able to get. The rooms were clean, A/C worked great. The staff of course makes the resort our home away from home we have traveled to many other places but the atmosphere and outstanding staff is why we always return. The food at the buffet was always hot and a great variety Yosmany and Milsa always there to greet you every morning with a smile. The Ranchon restaurant has added some new items to their menu with more variety Louis was always there with outstanding service with a great view of the beach. The a la carte restaurants were very good the International has improved from the last time we were there very good selection. Italian was a favorite for us the deep fried mozzarella sticks a must try as well as Lasagna and pizza to name a few. Jesus is the best special thank you to him for serving us at our Anniversary dinner with a beautiful cake for desert. Bar service was amazing as always lots of laughs and good times’ Anna, Sergey and Louis to name a few. Sundaes at the pool bar with Barbara are also a nice touch. Wilber is doing a great job with the entertainment , a solo singer who was very good as well as a few musicians in the evening before the 10:00 pm show. Gali with her Sangrias is a great idea at the Ranchon in the afternoon as well as the cold cloths by the pool she is a great part of the Melia. Special shout out to Jimmy and Jenya many laughs we had with them as well, they are always making sure everyone is having a great time. The beach is amazing always was clean in the morning. No shortage of chairs. We found this is a great time to go no line ups and no chair game. We miss Melia and the staff already can not wait to return to see you all again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cujocatHamilton
Dear cujocatHamilton
Thank you very much for taking your time to write about us. I feel happy you had a great time at the resort as always because I understand that you have here also your second family. I will pass your comments to our staff so they know they have done a wonderful job. They will be very happy to welcome back again any time you wish , you will always be very welcomed , see you soon
Stouffville
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was my first trip to Cuba. I read the reviews for Cuba to find out where to go and noticed a common theme. Hard beds and not-so-great food. Well, I just got back from one week at MCG and was totally relieved to find that the beds were fine and the food was great! To put this in context, I have traveled for both business and pleasure through out North America, Mexico, Panama, Europe and the Caribbean and have stayed at some of the highest rated hotels. Don't get me wrong, this resort is not without flaws, but for my purpose (one week of fun and sun) it was more than acceptable. As stated the beds were fine, not pillow top mattresses, but far from plywood boxes that I was lead to believe. The rooms are good size and comfortable but a little dated with signs of mold. This is most noticeable in the bathrooms. There was no moldy smell in my room, just signs in a few areas which could be quite easily taken care of. I think this is a common issue considering the climate (high humidity). This is really the worst thing that I could complain about and was't a big deal (to me).

The grounds of this resort are amazing, very tropical with numerous palm trees and wild life. I noticed a pair of peacocks, some chickens, crabs, and a beautiful green and blue gecko. And, as everyone has mentioned, the beach is beautiful.

The food was fresh and plentiful with a good variety. The breakfast buffet has everything that you need, fresh breads, fruit, a selection of cheeses, french toast, sausages, hash brown patties, cereals, a station where the chef will make fresh eggs of your choice (the omelettes were a favorite). Yes, there is no bacon, but I didn't miss it. This is coming from a guy that thinks everything is better with bacon. For lunch there are a few different options, two a la cart restaurants, the buffet and beach BBQ. I never made it to the BBQ, but the other options were fantastic. For dinner, the buffet or two a la carts. Special thanks go to Yohanky and Jocelin (Chef) for preparing a sea food feast for our group (lobster, calamari, shrimp, and smoked salmon). I didn't have a bad meal the whole time with one exception. Beef. From what I understand, beef is not readily available to Cubans. I ordered beef one evening and the flavor was good but it was a little tough. Not the end of the world.

Now to the good part. The service. Any of the staff that I had interaction with seemed to be genuinely nice people. And most, if not all, could speak English quite well. Do yourself a favor and make sure you meet the customer service people early on in stay. Linet (Customer Service) and Yanetsy (Quality) are very helpful ladies. Not only if you have issues with something at the resort, but also if you need help with other arrangements. They went out of their way to make my families stay more enjoyable, thanks again girls.

I would not hesitate to go back to this resort.

BTW, if you get the chance, go see Pilar Beach, go into Moron, and most important RELAX.

3 Thank Al S
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Al S.
Thank you very much for your comments about our hotel. I am very glad you had a great time in your first visit to Cuba. I am glad also that you are thinking in coming back that is a very god sign. Also i will pass your comments to Yanetsy and Linet so they know they have done a great job. You and your family will always be very welcomed here, until then all our best wishes
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The people at the resort were exceptional and they made our holiday extra special. A very big special thank you to Yanetsy and Linet. They made our stay at this resort extra special to our family group of 9. Yokanky and Jocelin (Chefs at this hotel) were also exceptional. The food was great. The entertainment was good but should be a bit earlier. 9:00 PM would be a better time.
The rooms were clean however the sheets and towels needs upgrading to newer linens and towels. The bathrooms in the room needs to be renovated. The Cuban people are so Happy and so nice. They also speak very good english and can communicate very well. This resort was exceptional because of the Cuban staff and the food was great. No one in our family starved.
We will be back soon. We loved Melia Cayo Guillermo.

Room Tip: The rooms are very similar. The south side rooms are quieter.
1 Thank Paulette46
Dear Paulette46
Thank you very much for your nice comment about our resort. I am very glad you had a great time with us and you met a lot of people here that made your holidays very special. I will pass your comments to Yanetsy. Linet, Yoanky and Jocelin they will be very happy to hear this. You will be very welcome at the hotel any time you wish until then all our best wishes
Lindsay,ontario
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Great resort and was a blast.Rooms were a bit dated but good.Fresh fish and pasta bar were awesome.The beach is out of this world white sand and blue water with no jellyfish.Yamilka and Tony from the dance troop were simply amazing,they are both really talented.Gali the little girl from the entertainment team made the best sangria we ever had and the ice cold towels to get refreshed at the pool was a welcome relief.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stella 135
Thank you very much for taking your time to write about us. I am very pleased you had a wonderful time in our resort. I will pass your comments to Yamilka, Tony and Gali they will be very happy with this. Any time you wish to come back you will be very welcomed until them all my best wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Guillermo
Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!