“Excellent....what a difference 2 years made !”

Melia Cayo Guillermo
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
St. Catharines, Canada
“Excellent....what a difference 2 years made !”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Visited first time in 2011 and loved the property, but found attitude of many staff ruined an otherwise beautiful place.....so went elsewhere 2012. This year at the urging of my son we went back in first week of March.

Couldn't believe the difference.....thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

Great location, great staff, great food, great rest, talented entertainment !

Room Tip: Skip the upgrade to an Ocean view Suite if you want rest....they are over main building lobby/noise...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LKRMM
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear LKRMM
Thank you very much for your comments. I am very glad you decided to come back again at the hotel and I am happy you had a great holiday with us this time. As member of the Meliá Cayo Guillermo family, you and your son will always be welcomed any time you wish, until then all our best wishes
Jesús T.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Dunnville, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is are first time at Melia Cayo Guillermo, It is a great resort. We stayed in room 3135 it was a very clean room on the bottom floor. We joned 33 other guests for a wedding was for Karen and Jay. The resort was always kept very clean by the hard working gardeners. We met Rocky on the beach he helped us get chairs and anything else we need he was always helpful. We also meet his wife Mary who is the Wedding/Event Planner and did an excellent job of the wedding. The flowers and the set up at the beach and beach resturaunt where beautiful. No details were left out. I also enjoyed Jimmy at the pool who got everyone involved in the games around the pool. There was also a lady who brought juices and cool cloths to Us at the pool side every day and was always very nice. This is Our third visit to Cuba and first time at this resort. We found the staff helpful at all times and never expected anything from you but because of their dedication to their jobs and the people they serve and We had no problems leaving them tips. We stayed May 20--27th. Also make sure to take a horse and buggy ride, the Gentlemen who took Us told a lot of information about the resorts and area. There was always chairs at the pools. This resort is a great couple resort. After the nightly show the resort is very quiet. Which we really like.Thanks alot for the great time.

1 Thank Randy S
Dear Randy
Thank you very much for taking your time to write about our resort and our staff. I feel very satisfied to know that you had a great wedding in our hotel and Mary and the rest of the staff did a great job. I will make sure to pass your comments to the staff. You will always be welcomed at the hotel, see you soon
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was our 8th stay at MCG in the past 9 years. I have to say it was probably the best one yet,
the first year is always a wow factor. But this year the wow was back. We were met by Linet[super nice and very helpful],she had a smile when we arrived and throughout the week.She saw to our every need, promptly and efficiently. Then there was Michel in the Disco Bar, excellent worker and super nice person to get to know.Hard hours of work, but always a smile for his customers. The Italian Restaurant has another super worker and super nice waiter, Jesus, very
personable and always ready to meet your needs, if they didn't have something, he would try his best to get it for you. Over the years we look forward to seeing them when we return.
The grounds were very well groomed this year..the whole resort appeared so much cleaner
and spruced up nicely, the presentations of all the meals very impressive.
We will definitely be returning next year. The beach if absolutely beautiful, I have yet to meet anyone who does not agree .
If you are looking for a small resort, personable workers, excellent service. this is the one for you.
Also have to mention, the entertainment was so improved from last year. Very impressed.
Keep up the great work.
Until next time.
G/K Gillis
Dartmouth,NS, Canada
Hope this is helpful

Room Tip: we always look for a second or third floor
Dear Georgina G.
Thank you so much for your kind words about the resort and our staff. I am very glad you had a great time with us one more time. I am very proud of the staff because i know they are the reason why you always come back. Thank you on behalf of the staff about positive comments on the improvements we have done. I hope to see you back very soon as part of the Meliá Cayo Guillermo family,,, until then all my best wishes
Selkirk
Reviewed May 7, 2013

we chose Melia to have our wedding at April 25th. We are so very glad we did. Mary the coordinator took care of every detail. Fresh beautiful flowers in a bouquet i received in my room along with the boutiner for my husband. Fresh flowers in quartz urns adorned the dock where we had the wedding, once the ceremony was completed, we enjoyed a champagne toast with 33 of our family and friends. Music was played which certainly added to the event. As i said Mary took care of every detail. Mary was amazing to work with, she was professional and listened to our thoughts about the wedding arrangements we had no trouble with language barriers as Mary was very fluent in english. Fresh flowers also adorned the entrance to the beach restaurant where we had our sit down meal. The meal although simple (as per our request) was prepared to perfection. We had a wedding cake, and the chef flambayed it as an extra touch. The other staff in the hotel as always were friendlly and very accomodating! Rocky on the beach told us of the many excursions available and made recommendations for us. Rocky always made sure to stop by where we were sitting to ask about how things were going and if he could do anything for us. we recommend that if you are looking for a destination wedding that you seriously consider the Melia, it is truly a beautiful resort, well maintained, the beaches are the most beautiful ones we have seen and the staff are truly amazing. We brought 21 people with us in 2012 and 33 for our wedding in April of this year and all of the guests said they would come back to this resort; infact some of the 21 were some of the 33 who came with us. When you go, enjoy every minute as the week will go very fast.

Room Tip: we enjoy the rooms on the beach level, infact our favourite is 3101 we wake up every morning looking...
4 Thank karin_marks
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Karin
I would like to thank you for writing about us in this webpage. It was very gratifying that you chose our hotel to celebrate your wedding. I know Mary is very professional and i am glad she did a great job organizing your wedding. I will pass your comments to her as well as the rest of the staff who helped also with the celebration. You and your wedding group will be very welcome at the hotel any time you wish ...see you soon .Best wishes
Ontario
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort for one week on our first all inclusive vacation. The room was clean but the hairdryer was hanging off the wall and the balcony chairs were missing but the staff took care of it once we asked. Yaniel and sandro were great staff members that ensured we enjoyed our stay. The excursions were great! We enjoyed the bicycle ride and horse and carriage ride. The only drawback was the lack of lounge chairs on the beach and pool area as some Canadians saved chairs in both places. Perhaps the resort should make people return chairs when leaving each area to make it better for everyone to enjoy. We did not let the small things ruin our trip though. We thoroughly enjoyed all the friendliness of the staff and met lots of nice guests. We would definitely come back to this resort and we would recommend it to others. It is truly a place you want to experience.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank climb-to-the-top
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear climb -to-the-top
I would like to thank you for writing about us in this webpage. I am very happy you had Thank you very much also for the wishes to recommend this hotel I really appreciate that. You will be very welcome at the hotel any time you wish ...see you soon .Best wishes
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I were back in Cuba in February and we squeezed a few days in at the Melia Cayo Guillermo.

In my last review I highlighted that there had been many improvements introduced by the management team and I didn't expect any major changes this time. Nevertheless there were quite a number of small improvements reflecting that the staff and management are very commited to making sure that this remains the best hotel in the Cayos.

If you want to read about the big improvements last year then please read my last, rather lengthy, review but here are just a few of the things that I noticed and think are worth mentioning this time. Don't worry, I'll keep it short!!

1) Ice creams are now available at the pool bar much of the time, it's certainly not Ben & Jerry's yet but it's good progress.
2) There is more live music on the patio in the evening as part of Wilber's expanding entertainment programme. Some of the musicians shipped in from Ciego or Moron are extremely good.
3) Afternoon hog roasts by the Cuban Bar. These were supposedly themed for each nationality, Canada one day, Argetina the next etc but, this being Cuba, this wasn't enforced and you can just turn up :-)
4) Galioska dressing up in outlandish costumes despite the heat, she is always happy.
5) Lunch in the Ranchon has become a very pleasant pastime, with a great view of the Carribbean on one side and a better view of Jefe Luis running around organising things on the other. The team do a great job keeping us guests well served.

I'd also like to give a special mention to Urimary and her front desk staff for being always helpful with any query at all. This team don't feature in too many reviews but they should because they are a critical part of the overall experience.

We will hopefully both be going back again in June to see how things are continuing to develop.

Room Tip: My favourites are the chalets, they are slightly more expensive but you get a ground level balcony w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank garythornton
Thank you very for taking your time to write about the resort. I am very glad you had a great time at the resort and noticed some positive changes we have done at the resort. I will pass your comments to our staff they are going to be very glad to hear about you. As part of Meliá Cayo Guillermo family, feel free to come back any time you wish, until then all my best wishes
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was my 3rd year and it gets better every year. The food was amazing (new items on the menu and lovely presentation) The customer service (Linet & Marisque) the servers (Mitchel, Jesus, Anna, Diolexus, to name a few) could not do enough for you. The property is kept clean and the pools and gardens well tended. The beaches are beautiful, well kept and the security guards helpful, friendly and dedicated. The entertainment gets better every year as well and there is always something new.

Room Tip: I like the second floor ... personal preference
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Pamela M.
Thank you very much for taking your time to write about us in this web page. I am very glad you had a great time in our resort. I will pass your comments to our staff because i knwo they are the main reason why you always come back. You will be very welcome at the hotel any time you wish I am sure our staff will be glad to see you again, until then all my best wishes to you
Regards,
Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!