“Wonderful Resort, Wonderful Vacation!”

and 1 more site!
Melia Cayo Guillermo
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was my second stay at the M.C.G. I travelled March 29-April 5 in a group of 19, ages 18-50. Travel from the airport took about 35-40 minutes with no stops. Beer was available for purchase on the bus (you can pay with Canadian money). The check in process was a bit lengthy as there were only two staff checking in three bus-loads of people. It helped that we were given check-in paperwork on the bus to complete in advance. While waiting, we just made a trip to the lobby bar for a drink!

The rooms were well equipped with a firm but comfy bed, safe, fridge (replenished daily with water, beer and pop), iron/ironing board, umbrella, coffee maker, decent hair dryer, TV (I can’t comment on channels available as I didn’t turn it on once), and a full bathroom with great shower water pressure and hot water. We were in room 2210 which is on the second floor, above the main building. We had a large shared balcony which was nice to sit on but we were unable to put things out to dry for fear of them growing legs.

The food here was excellent! We enjoyed the buffet, snack bar, Italian and Beach Grill for lunch and both a la carte restaurants. Buffet choices included fresh fish/seafood and meat grills, pizza station, pasta station, fresh breads and fruit, rice, ice cream, and an omelette station at breakfast. The snack bar had fries, burgers, hot dogs, ham/cheese sandwiches, and during the afternoon there was an ice cream station. The pizza at the Italian restaurant was awesome as was the shrimp and fried cheese appetizers. We also enjoyed the soup and shrimp meal at the Seafood a la carte. There was a lobby bar, beach bar and a bar by the pool that also serviced the swim up bar. There wasn’t a bartender stationed at the swim up bar, but they did keep an eye on it. At times we found it quicker to get out of the pool and go to the pool bar ourselves. No biggie. Lots of drink variety and they have two ready-made slushie machines. They also have a waterfall over the swim up area that would deter anyone from sitting there for a long time. Someone in our group would ask them to turn it off (surprising how loud the water can be). At the lobby bar they could make blender drinks like pina coladas and daiquiris. Try the “Traffic Light” – our group enjoyed those.

The beach was beautiful but I seemed to spend most of my time at the pool. Bring a floatie if you are so inclined.

The evening entertainment was the usual performances but the visiting water ballet troupe was quite good – get your seat early to get a decent view. The disco opened after the entertainment ended and was decent. Sometimes no one was there but we made our own party. The beach party night was rained out which we were disappointed about.

Some of us did the Jeep safari (well, Kia safari). I had planned on doing some of the driving but after seeing how aggressive you needed to be going around various things, I quickly changed my mind. If you have brought items to give away, this was a great time to do so as you stop across the street from a school in Florencia; while driving slowly through Moron we handed out a couple bag full of items to teens. I found the vendors in Moron to be quite aggressive. Others in our group did the catamaran which they enjoyed. The Cave disco is a must see if you like to dance and aren’t claustrophobic. $25 CUC covered your transportation (30-40 minutes), entrance and drinks. Great music and dancing in an actual cave (that has an open roof above the dance floor). Definitely bring tissue and hand wash for bathroom trips. You can visit sister resorts – just get a bracelet from the front desk before you go. We visited the Sol next door and had churros (yum!). We also went to the TRYP in Cayo Coco. You can rent scooters at the Iberostar next door. You will need your driver’s license and passport to do so. Note – check your gas levels before you venture off. A couple in our group ran out of gas. Lol

Late checkout is available on departure day for $7 CUC/hour. That morning you check with the front desk. We could only keep the room until 4:00 and a group of us shared it – a safe place to store luggage and we took turns going up for a shower. You can keep your beach towels if you wish but you need to pay a $25 CUC deposit that you get back once you’ve returned your towels prior to departure. Because it was our room that we kept, we kept our beach towels until the later check out time. At the airport, there is a bank wicket where you can exchange any CUC back to Canadian dollars. I didn’t lose much in the process. The biggest thing: you can no longer carry alcohol that you’ve purchased prior to going to the airport in your carry on. It must be checked in your luggage – we had a mad scramble at the airport switching things around. Anything you purchase at Duty Free will be sealed in a bag and that’s ok to take on board in your carry on.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank kelbear
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Kelbear
I am very pleased to know you had such a wonderful time in our resort!. Also thank you very much for taking the time to write your experiencies on this site that will be much help for the coming visitors. You are always be welcomed in our midst any time you wish. Until then, be well.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Very nice beach (especially at low tide). Rooms will need updating soon; however, the rooms are well maintained and the rooms are clean. The water pressure in the room is pretty good and the air conditioning is almost too cold! The grounds are beautifully maintained. The pool is very nice. There is a real shortage of beach/pool chairs at the beach and the pool. Guests leave their towels and clothes on the chairs very early in the morning. So go to the pool or beach before sunrise to get a chair. The buffet food is not bad; however, the selection is not all that great. The al la carte restaurants are quite good (book your table early). Overall good value. SEE VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE CHANNEL: nwaynesworld

Room Tip: see video of room 3323 on youtube channel: nwayesworld
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nwaynesworld

Dear nwaynesworld
Thank you for your comments. We are happy that you enjoyed so much your stay here. It will be our pleasure if you return to visit next year again. I am sure you will have an even better experience. All our best wishes,

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Once again we vacationed at our "second" home.
This was our third trip there and it was just perfect.
Everything was just as before. Not one complaint.
A very special thank you to Mary, Norge at the front
desk.
Anna, Sergiuy, and all the rest of the bar staff--fantastic.
A special thank you to Edel at the buffet, he always looked
after us.
Sorry for rambling on.
This resort is the best one in the Cayo Coco area.
The pool, beach and food are all very good.
Look to try the catamaran/snorkling day excursion.
Also the Moron day trip is interesting.
Hope this review helps.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jlcdrc

Dear Jlcdrc
Thank you very much for taking your time to write about our resort in this website. I am pleased you had a wonderful time here with us. I am very proud of the staff of the resort and I am aware that they are the main reason why you are coming back. For that reason I will let them know about your comments. I fully expect to have you back as member of the big family of repeat clients of Melia Cayo Guillermo. Our staff will be delighted to have you back any time you want

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Just back last night. April 5-12. Had an amazing time as always. Staff always makes the trip a wonderful experience. Thanks to the staff Jesus in the Italian restaurant, Roland and Abel in the buffet, Ana at the pool bar, Jimmy and Arlyn in the entertainment area. All of u should be proud of what u do for everyone. Weather was incredible, beach amazing and food was amazing too. We upgraded to junior suite, was well worth it. Until we see u again....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kingstonbeachlovers

Dear Kingstonbeachlov
I am very glad you had such a nice holidays with us. I wil let everybody know about your comments. I appreciate your faithfulness towards our hotel and will be more than happy to have you back any time you choose. Until then,

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were there for a trip from April 4 - April 11 2013, with our 2 children (aged 6 and 13).

The best features of our trip were: the beach, the pool, the service and the overall cleanliness of the hotels. I must also say that everyone who works there are very friendly, especially Milsa and Yosmany at the buffet who served us almost every day!

I would say the food is good, according to cuban standards. I would rate the restaurants the following (from a scale of 1 to 10):
International Restaurant : 10
Italian Restaurant : 8.5 (do not eat the beef there)
Grill : 8
Buffet : 7.5
Snack Bar : 6
Beach Grill : 7

My only complaint with the restaurants is that most of the deserts were not available.

The rooms are not very big, the beds are ok (not great, not bad), but it is clean.

My biggest dispointment was that the ocean directly at our beach contained lots of seaweed, at about 50 feet from the beach. We needed to walk around 5 minutes towards the Sol Hotel to find a nicer spot to go deeper into the sea.

Also, the Jacuzzi water is not heated.

Room Tip: You may be bothered by the noise from the Pub or the theatre if your room starts with a 3
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Eric
I am so happy to read you had such a fantastic time in our hotel!.Thank you very much for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays. Also thank you for taking the time to write your experiencies on this site.Your comments will be taken into account in order to improve our services. I will let our staff know about your comments. I look forward to have you here again.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

What a great vacation! Our group of 19 (ages 18-50) were at the Melia Cayo Guillermo from March 29-April 5. I feel I am a seasoned Cuban traveller so have plenty to compare…and this is one of the better resorts I’ve been to (our 2nd time). We had great weather (a bit windy on the first few days – but still hot and sunny; and about an hour of rain on the last day). The beach is beautiful although we seemed to have hung out at the pool most of the time. The food in all restaurants/snack bars is excellent as far as I’m concerned. No one in our group had complaints/issues. I can’t understand how people can complain (I’d love to know how these complainers eat at home). The rooms were great…everything you needed was there (including coffee maker, iron and ironing board, safe, umbrella, water pitcher, ice bucket, etc). Water pressure and temperature in shower was great (although take the time to position your shower curtain so you don’t flood the bathroom floor as I did on occasion!). Air conditioning worked well. Most of us were in the 1200 section of rooms (1211-1203 I think) on the 2nd floor and they all seemed to be the same/equally as good… large shared balcony with slight view of pool (through the trees) and close to lobby/buffet/pool. If I had to make one suggestion for improvement it would be to have more/extra staff on the front desk when buses arrive with a large number of people to check in… that was a little on the slower side… but hey we are on vacation so just relaxed and waited our turn… In the end, we got a block of rooms together on the 2nd floor which is what we requested via email in advance. Thanks to all the wonderful staff who also made our vacation that much more enjoyable. I/we would highly recommend this resort. As for excursions – some of us did jeep safari – a lot of driving but a very good excursion; and we did the Cave Disco – worth going if you like to dance and aren't claustrophobic. We also walked over to the Sol to try to churros (yummy) and check it out; spent the day at the TRYP on Cayo Coco (enjoyed it); and went out and bowled a string at the bowling alley one night (good for a few laughs). If you have any questions…I’d be happy to answer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank vacation

Dear vacation
I am very glad you and your family had such a nice holidays with us. Also appreciate you taking the time to tell your experiencies on this site. I wil let our staff know about your comments. Be sure we will continue working hard to make our clients to feel the same you did and you are forever welcome back in our midst any time you consider to visit us.Until then,

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Although the hotel needs upgrading, everything was amazing. Food, Entertainment, staff, beach etc. One amazing staff member was Luis, the volley ball guy/entertainment. Super friendly and energetic. Janiel in the buffet, would do anything for you. And every single staff member never failed to start your day with a smile. One thing I would approve on would be adding a few more huts. If you weren't on the beach by 6:30-7am you were in the sun all day. Buffet food was great, but the made to order in the buffet was even better. Italian restaurant was incredible for lunch and dinner. We only had bugs one day on the beach when there wasn't any wind. Other than that it was bug free. I would most definitely go to that resort again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Katie
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about us. It pleases me to know you had a great holiday with us. I fully expect to have you back as member of the big family of repeat Melia Guillermo clients. Our staff will be delighted to have you back any time you want. Until then,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Guillermo
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!