“Nikki P”

Melia Cayo Guillermo
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just got home Saturday morning and I miss it already. The beach is beautiful and the people are very friendly.
If you are looking for a great place to relax on the beach this is the place. The rooms were nice and the service was great. The bartenders were so much fun especially Tommy at the pool bar.
We really want to come back again next year!

Room Tip: Friends we met on the trip had the upgraded room but they had an ant problem.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nikki_P_2013

Reviewed March 31, 2013

My significant other and I stayed at MCG from March 21st to March 28th of this year. Had previously visited this resort in 2010. As in 2010, everything was awesome!

Special shout outs to LInet in customer service, Eli and Rolando in the buffet, Luis in the lobby bar, Jimmy, Luis and all the rest of the entertainment staff.

The only negative thing I can say about this resort is that if you want a place to sit, you better be prepared to play the "chair game". We never had to play in nine previous trips to Cuban resorts, but were forced to this time around - it was either that, or sit on the pool deck or in the sand. Crazy. I would suggest that the Melia either buy more chairs, or deal with the individuals who are reserving multiple chairs at the pool, on the beach, in the shade, in the sun, and Lord only knows where else, all at the same time. Minor issue - but rather annoying.

If ayone requires specific information or has any questions, please feel free to PM me.

MCG - we will be back!

RWS

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Runs_With_Scisssors
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This past February, I had the most beautiful wedding anyone could ask for. It was a dream come true. The started with the most wonderful planner, Mary who made sure everything was perfect. From the flowers, the food, hair appointments, wedding cake, reception, band, and the horse drawn carriage, absolutely everything! Then of course Yamely who provided wonderful support and her own cake topper (bride & groom) for good luck. Twenty six of our friends and family joined us in Cuba which made the day even that much more special. Although if was a large group, the waiters (Edel...THE BEST), Jesus, Abel, Pedro always made sure we were able to sit together and were so accommodating. It just reinforced for all of our friends what a wonderful place this resort is. And I have to give mention of Anna at the pool bar! There is no one like her. And the lobby bar....all of the tenders were fabulous (Edgar, Maelin, Roberto, and our sweet Yarlin and Jose). If you are planning a wedding, this is the ultimate place to be! You are always treated as royalty and part of a large family. And always feel safe when you are down at the beach because Rocky has his eye on you. The food is spectacular at any time but for our wedding, Kiki at the Rancharo made the most wonderful lunch, fit for a king! And our trip into Moron for an authentic Cuban Reception the day before the wedding.Highly recommend it to anyone for just a holiday getaway, wedding or to celebrate life.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Patti P
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The staff is great. Recreation staff Luis was great in getting people involved with the activities. He has a great personality and mingled with everyone that was around. Barbara is a wonderful person that works at the pool bar and makes fantastic ice cream treats and Melia works in the pool bar and makes her customers feel important.

The only thing that i have to complain about is the restocking of your bar fridge. Complained to Customer Service. Once they hung up on me then went down personality about restocking the fridge. Also about the lost of our own towels at the beach. Left towels for 1 hour and then they disappeared. They said they would take care of it right away and they just ignored everything. We were very disappointed in that service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Liz P
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Loved the people and resort overall! I have travelled extensively and understand the star rating in Cuba is different from other countries but I must say this was one of the best trips I ever had with my family. Everyone was so friendly and kind.... We will definitely be back! I miss it already:(

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Mariela N
Reviewed March 30, 2013

What can I say that hasn't already been said, this is an amazing place to spend a couple of weeks. This was our 3rd visit, 3 years in a row and I am already looking forward to next year. It is a lovely place with the most amazing staff I have ever met in my travels. This year we took 2 of our sons (25, 19) with us for the first week and when they were leaving the said "Mom and Dad we know why you love to come here" We e-mailed in advance and asked for 2 rooms side by side in a certain location and we got just what we asked for, thank you Michael in customer service. The lounge chairs were a bit of a problem this year, but the management is aware of the issue and I am sure that when we return next year they will have bought some additional chairs or sorted out a better system for reserving chairs.

Before I get into my long-winded thank yous I want to say that please don't forget to tip for the amazing service you get. My day trip into Moron reminded me how valuable CUC's are to the Cuban people. More and more stores are selling things in CUC's which used to be the currency used for tourists only. The only way for the staff to get CUC's is tips. Don't just tip the bar/restaurant staff, remember that there are people behind the scenes making things right for your vacation. The gardeners, the guys who clear the beach each morning, the front desk staff, they change your money for you on a regular basis, and always with a smile, the customer service group, the chefs at the grills in the buffet, the lifeguards. Every member of the staff at the hotel has some hand in making your stay enjoyable.

OK so here is where I have to thank everyone personally, so unless you are management at the hotel you can stop reading if you want, if you are management I must insist that you read right to the end!!!!!

Buffet - the only problem this year was our favorites were all working the same shift so we had to rotate sections every day.

Yaneris -we love you and look forward to seeing you every year, I want to bottle your enthusiasm and bring it home with me.
Madeline - thank you for remembering my 1 egg veggie omelette every morning - I just had to stand in line and when you saw me you gave me a smile and a thumbs up.
Rollando - I love the hand gestures - my heart goes boom and explodes for you - every time you saw me, makes me feel special.
Luis and Maiyalena - my friends working the same shift as Yaneris this year, I hope we balanced out our seatings so your feelings weren't hurt.
Disvel - great smile
Yamilka - Lovely, lovely lady - thank you for the great service at dinner
Edelma - Always filling my coffee cup the minute it was empty
Juli and Fernando - wine glass was never empty sitting in your section
Yaniel - at the buffet, at the Italian where-ever we saw you on the resort you had a big smile and a handshake for us.

Pool Bar

Barbara - we were so glad to see you again this year. I made many trips to the ice cream bar just so I could see you and catch up on how your beautiful little girl is doing. Thank you for the picture of Jenly.
Ana and Andreas - great service, always with a smile.
Serguay - what can be said - ultimate customer service every year. Thank you so much for your kind attention to our sons. They loved talking baseball with you, you are a fountain of information when it comes to that sport and we so hope that our trip next year allows us the time to see a game with you on your day off in Ceigo de Avilla. It would be such a pleasure for us to take you to a game as a thank you for all the years of amazing service.

Lobby Bar

You guys and gals are amazing. Always remembering that no added sugar in any of my drinks is critical to my health, I am a diabetic. You only have to be reminded once of this when I first arrive and you go out of your way to inform others when they are making my Pina Colda that no sugar is very important. Very personal service.

Edgar, the ultimate professional, I love chatting with you when the bar is not too busy. Usually late afternoon just before dinner.
Luis, what a smile, good luck with the new baby.
Arlent, you are a funny guy. You really get to know your customers and your service is appreciated.
Roberto, never an empty glass when you are serving the tables on the patio, thank you.
Maliena, lovely lady that has to put up with all those guys at the bar :-) thank you for your excellent service.

International

Jose Manuel my friend, I look forward to seeing you every year. You always make us feel so special when we eat in your restaurant. Thank you so much, you are a true professional and the little extra special service from you doesn't go unnoticed and is not taken for granted, thank you.

Ranchon

Boris - a great sense of humor, lovely to see you
Yunis - still an amazing smile and excellent service even on days when you were working a double.

Customer Service

Yaliedy and Linet - incredible young women. There is nothing they won't do to make your stay perfect. Thank you so much for everything, you two ladies are certainly in the right job.

Maria - every year I can't wait to see your smiling face at check-in. You have a wonderful attitude, thank-you, thank-you, thank-you. My husband will post the amazing picture he took of us, Maria and Maree saying a tearful good-bye at the end of our trip.

Life guards

Rolando and Alber, thank you so much for inviting me to swim with you. What an honor. I love to swim and my daily swim was made all that more special because of you. I will always think of us as the official MCG swim team :-)Thank you also for always being willing to move beach/pool chairs around, this was very important this year because of the shortage of chairs. I want the hotel management to know that you guys spent a lot of time listening and responding to unhappy customers and your willingness to try and make customers happy shouldn't go unnoticed.

Entertainment

The dancers not only provided us with wonderful evening entertainment but chatting with them at the lobby bar before their performance is always a pleasure. Thank you Da Iry, I hope I got the spelling right, you are a lovely young women.

Cleaning staff

My room was made up perfectly every day. I forgot to write down the name of my maid this year, I am sorry, I didn't take your service for granted you were wonderful and no request was too great.

Last but not least, my friend Gali. There are so many wonderful things about you, you spend the day trying to make everyone enjoy themselves. Thank you for helping us arrange the private day trip to Moron, I wanted my sons to see the real Cuba and thanks to you they did. Lunch at Don Papas' was incredible, the only thing missing at the lunch was you. I saw you waiting for your bus to go home when I was on the bus to the airport and it is probably the only time I have ever seen you without a smile. I was sitting beside your Canadian Grandfather and we both wanted to get off the bus and give you a big hug and tell you how much we love you. We were already missing you too :-( Take care of yourself, have a wonderful year and know that you are one of the special people that make the hotel stand out from all the others.

Can't wait for next year!

Room Tip: We love the ground floor rooms. Nice to come back from a long day at the beach and sit on the patio...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Maree C
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The site and the beach are awesome! There is also a good variety of restaurtants! But the Staff is truely one of a kind and full of kindness... Especially Adel and Abdel who are waiters at the buffet and in the restaurants on a rotation. They are all very good, but these two have a little something special. Adel & Abdel Thumbs Up you guys!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Sercotel Club Cayo Guillermo
Sercotel Club Cayo Guillermo
#5 of 7 in Cayo Guillermo

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!