“Cuba: great but could be greater!”

Melia Cayo Guillermo
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I traveled with another couple to the Melia Cayo Guillermo March 15, 2013. I had read extensively of the pros and cons of Cuba in general, and this resort in particular. Much of what I read I found true; much of the criticism levied against the Melia was written by travelers who forget where they are, and how the Cuban people are making do in a fairly intolerable state of affairs.
The beds ARE hard, but at least the mattresses are not on the concrete slabs they were on in Cozumel. We asked for an extra extra-long pillow for my wife's sake, and this assisted her enormously.
No toilet paper in our room first night; we were prepared. We upgraded for the duration, and never had less than 3 rolls after that. The food was pretty good, except for one meal where the fish served at the Beach Grill was way undercooked. I found my chicken tasted just like chicken (!) back home. A fair criticism for the buffet: get the heating rods under the food bins working, and the food will stay much warmer. No problem with variety. If anyone goes hungry here THEY have the problem, I think, not this hotel.
Drinks were great; wine was fair, but we found we could by a bottle of Frontera Cabernet for just 5 pesos! ( for those special meals).
The beach is as everyone says: fabulous.
Good snorkeling around the pier, especially in the mornings. Clouds of fish underneath the end of the boardwalk, and (my highlight) a four foot long barracuda that patrols regularly. I once got to within ten feet before he ( I think it was a he - I didn't get THAT close!) swam slowly off. Amazing.
The staff are the best: Anna Isa at the pool bar works so hard, and remembers just how you like 'em; Neyalis was our waitress most of the week at the buffet and the Italian-what a sweetheart, and so open to us, always with a smile and gentle demeanor. Fernando, Luis and Edel were other waiters who, by and large, did a great job in keeping things running in the buffet.
More lounging chairs por favor! Every review mentions this; maybe they're on back order. All it would take would be twenty or so around the pool and everyone would be happier.
A family resort, most of the clientele are older Canadians, Brits with a sprinkling of other European and South American folk. ( I even met an American!!!!) By the end of the week, many of us were practically family. People actually smiled and knew us by name, greeting us as we wandered to and fro. You don't get this at the mega resorts. With only 300 or so rooms, it's for this reason that, given my druthers, I would choose to come back here than any other place in the Caribbean I have yet visited.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank JDM54
Write a ReviewReviews (4,471)

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just got back from MCG,and all i can say is if you whant to get treat like royalty you need to go there!!!The staff is amazing!!!Roberto at the lobby bar give amazing service!!!Romerto makes the best pizza at the buffet restaurant and Rolando who serve table at the buffet is the funniest guy out there!!!The beach is just amazing!!!Food is good!!!Pool is very clean!!!Over all i would recomend this resort to everyone!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank Tijohn
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We started our holiday at the hotel next door (Iberostar Daquiri). We decided to move to the Melia as the Iberostar was due for refurbishment and the fixtures and fittings were more than a little tired (the staff were amazing though!).
We paid 100 CUC to move, and it was worth every penny. We upgraded to a sea view room for about another 100 CUC, but again - it was worth it.
The bed was enormous, and we had a little balcony, separate dressing area and lovely clean bathroom - complete with bath robes and slippers! We had chocolates every night with the turn down service, and every day we had another work of towel art in our room from our lovely male 'maid'!
The grounds were immaculate, very clean and tidy. The gardeners work very hard to make sure they stayed that way.
We drank Cava every day, which was included in the All Inclusive tarrif. The Buffet restaurant was our favourite place, especially the guy that grilled your choice of fish. You don't have to tip, but he remembers you next time if you do!
The service and food was lovely at both the Italian restaurant and the International, but I think we'll probably stick to the buffet when we return here in December! Having said that, the Beach Grill was great for lunch - especially if you didn't have time to change from your beachwear.
The main lobby bar is full of both local and International drinks - more than enough for anyone.
The staff on reception are very well trained, polite - and ultra professional. My partner had a fantastic haircut whilst we were here, the barber was so lovely - we gave him quite a bit of stuff for his lovely family (clothes, shampoos etc).
I recommend the Speed Boat trip through the mangroves - it's fantastic! Make sure you take part in the snorkelling. We took our own snorkel sets, but they do provide them for you if you haven't got one.
We left our camera on the coach that took us to the speed boats. Our lovely rep rang up the company, and the fantastic coach driver drove back to give it to us personally. We rewarded him with a bag of goodies and 20 CUC - he was over the moon!
I really cannot fault the Cuban people. They don't have a lot themselves, but they are always so pleasant and happy to help.
You really must go to Playa Pilar - we went snorkeling in the sea and swam amongs what felt like hundreds of fish!
All the beaches are white, fine sand and the sea is aqua blue. The beautiful pier is the perfect place for an early morning or after dinner stroll, as well as the inevitable photo's!
All in all, we adored our holiday!
We have booked again already to return to this fabulous hotel. We just couldn't get enough of it. We've even managed to reserve the same room.
If you want to go to the Cayo's - this is the best hotel by far!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1240 - a sea view room close to the Beach Grill. The bungalows also looked very n...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank devondiva
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This resort is fabulous!!!

Check in: easy and friendly service... Arrived late in the evening... Porter took luggage up to the room

Pool: Clean and well maintained... Only one...

Beach: paradise at its finest.... White sand, clear water, activities and relaxation
Beach bar and BBQ were both great

Food: variety of food... Not one complaint.... Ate everything... Nobody got sick... Bring your own ketchup and syrup

Room: Clean and bug free!!! Beds were comfortable ... Tv worked perfectly... Shower water pressure was fine. Blow dryer in room. Never short of towels

Maids: tip them... They work hard and will make beautiful towel designs for you :)

Entertainment: the entertainment staff was busy all day long... Lots of games and activities. Loved sitting outside of main lobby listening to the live music every evening ... Order a Spanish coffee... Divine!!

Pool table under a hut was a success for kids of all ages

I am going back.... This is truly paradise!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the 3000 or bungalows are a great location
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank m c
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear m c

I am so happy to read you had such a fantastic time in our hotel!. Also appreciate you taking the time to say your experiencies on this site. Be sure we will continue working hard to make our clients to feel the same you did and you are forever welcome back in our midst any time you consider to vist us. Until then, be well.

Regards,

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Wonderful vacation – the place was great – we were booked into room 3205 which is on the 2nd floor and we had a good view of the ocean – I was considering upgrading once we got there – but we didn’t have to as we were very happy with the view. – like everyone says the hotel is getting old – but it was clean – the bathroom equipment needs upgrading – very standard shower – but always hot shower

We liked the size of the resort – easy to get around – lobby bar music a few nights – these were really good before the shows (which are limited but ok) - beach is outstanding

No issues with the food – we are not picky and could always find something to eat – we were invited to a repeat client lobster lunch (not great lobster but was nice)

I have a bit of an issue with the tipping process – I get it – you can tip for good service but Frank the Nolitours rep made quite an issue of it – that we should tip 10 – 15 % - when I book an all inclusive I assume it is for good service, good food etc – and that the price I pay covers what I expect

A bad thing was we were dining at the Italian al la carte and they sprayed for bugs – and the fumes came through the restaurant – luckily we were finished our dinner for the most part – that stuff poisonous and Rob went to discuss with the manager – not sure he made any impact – but that was a serious issue for us

Another issue is out by the international al la carte – it sits on some stagnant water and the smell is obscene walking into the restaurant – they need to clean this up

Also the same old issue with saving lounge chairs – need to get out there before 7:30 if you want one

Having said all that – we would definitely book this hotel again

Room Tip: Room 3205 close to pool and beach and good ocean view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pmaple70
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Pmaple:

Thanks for getting the time to comment about your stay with us. First of all, i'd like to add that insects are part of the enviroment on the keys, and they are a bother to most of us, the only way to control them a little is with the spray you mentioned that is in no way at all poisonous for humans, or we wouldn't be using it in the first place nor the sanitarian and health authorities of Cuba would allow it. Having said that, there is another thing i would like to comment. The International Restaurant is situated in a natural lagoon, when it is dry season as it is now, the level of the water decreases and you can feel the characteristic smell of the swamps and maresmas as they call it. Anyways as always we take into account your comments and hope to have you back very soon with us.

Jesús Tenorio

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Just got back from MCG after spending a week there from March 8-15, this trip was everything I wanted it to be and more. The rooms were great, well kept and always clean. The food was wonderful, lots to choose from including an amazing buffet with it's own fish station, meat station, pizza bar and pasta bar! the entertainment was truly amazing both during the day and in the evenings. There was always something to do and the performers or hosts always had lots of energy. The liquor selection was also quite good, especially in the lobby bar where they kept their best liquor. The gym needed some TLC but who really works out on vacation anyways. There was a great tennis court and you would get rackets and balls from Fidel at anytime. There was also soccer going on at 530 everyday which the guys really enjoyed. Now to the staff... WOW! you all were so lovely, and we were sad to have to say goodbye. They really do go the extra mile to make your stay wonderful. It was one of our group members birthday on the trip and they had 3 cakes for us during that day. The also had a bottle of champagne sent to the room in the morning and at lunch they had Happy Birthday written in flower petals and more champagne and cake. Eli had it set up beautifully and was standing at the table waiting for us to arrive! We just loved him. We have been to Cuba before but this resort way exceeded any expectation. We will definitely return here!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank ash_gil14
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Ash_gil

I am veru glad you had such a nice holidays with us. I wil let Eli know about your comments. I appreciate your faithfulness towards our hotel and will be more than happy to have you back any time you choose. Until then,

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My parents, brother and I just returned from this resort and I thought the resort was awesome. The food and service was wonderful. The best part of all was meeting Yenia, Luis and Jimmy.
They made the trip a wonderful experience and so much fun for me and my brother. They kept us well entertained and busy, we were never bored. The best show there was the retro show hosted by Luis. I had a better time during this vacation then I had when my parents took me to Florida. We hope to return next year!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Camden B

Dear Camden

Thank you very much for your comments on tripadvisor.com, we will pass your opinions to Jimy, Luis and Yenia. We are very glad you had such a wonderful time and hope to have you back pretty soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Guillermo
19 mi away
Sol Cayo Coco
Sol Cayo Coco
#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!