“The Beach - The Staff”

Melia Cayo Guillermo
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We are a family of 5 and have visited this hotel twice in recent years and found it to be superb on both occasions. There was something for all of us - not easy when you have 3 teenage boys too.

The first time we stayed we stayed for 3 weeks in August - we were instantly impressed by the friendliness of the staff and swift check- in process.The lobby and bar are very welcoming with ample secluded seating areas. No air-con but that's the only negative point.

The hotel and grounds are clean and tidy and there's ample staff to tend to your needs. The food was varied and generally excellent. The accommodation was clean and inviting with maids leaving towel sculptures most days. It's the staff - especially the bar staff - make this hotel what it is. You don't have to tip and we found that being polite was all that was required. They remember names and what you drink - always welcome when it gets late!! The beach is stunning especially when the tide goes out and the sea is lovely and warm. Boy though does it get very hot and humid and a late afternoon shower is very welcoming relief.

The sports bar staff get a special mention - they are the best - great fun and join in with the table tennis etc too when it's quiet.

I particularly enjoyed the sailing and found it easy to sail out to the reef - hook up to a buoy and then snorkel in what seems like a fish tank - wonderful.

We returned 20 months later the second and most recent time. We were instantly recognised by most of the staff that were there the first time which is always nice. This time was just as good - better in some ways and despite it being April the weather was still great.

Both times we got out and about - visiting Trinidad on a 2 day trip - the bus ride wasn't the most comfortable but you did get to see the real Cuba. The cigar factory was an eye opener as I don't think things would have changed much in decades - the only bad point was the hotel we stopped in overnight - not a patch on the Melia. Here you can also swim with the dolphins - an unforgettable experience and not to be missed as they are in a natural lagoon and not a giant tank like some places.

The nightly entertainment considering where you are is not bad and there's an onsite nightclub afterwards which is where my kids ended up most nights - the air-con in there was just what was needed too as it does stay very warm in the evenings.There is a specialty restaurant and this is worth a visit at least a couple of times during a stay.

So why didn't I rate it as excellent - it was a close run thing that's for sure but you can always improve some little areas.

Highly recommended and yes I would go back - but in a few years to see how it has changed if at all.

Room Tip: Take a few old football tops / shirts, pens and pencils as they are welcomed more than any tip.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank ImpartialAndy
Write a ReviewReviews (4,415)

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We visited this beautiful resort Jan 10-17th. We had a separate check in because we went superior. The regular line up for checking in was very long. I could see this being a problem with other guests. We were in room 3001 and travelled with family who were in room 3004. This rooms were bungalows. The rooms were dated but very clean. One complaint about the room would be the lack of shower pressure and at times lack of hot water. The beach area is beautiful. Unfortunately it was quite windy for most of our week, so we spent most of our time at the pool. The last couple days the wind calmed down and we spent some time at the beach. The grounds are kept very clean. The resort is quite small, which to me is nice. We all thought that the food was very good. We ate at both a la cartes twice and were very impressed. This is our first trip ever to Cuba, and we were warned that the food in Cuba is bland. It may be in other places in Cuba, but not here. Every one of us thought that the food was very good. Now for the best part of our trip. The People. The service that we received at this resort is second to none. We could not believe how amazing the people are. They really made us feel like we were welcomed. If you left a tip or not, you were treated the same. From the first day we got there till the last day when the girl from the kids club was blowing kisses at my kids saying goodbye. We would like to thank everyone from Melia Cayo Guillermo for making this trip so memorable. I actually feel bad that I didn't get to say goodbye to all the great people I met. But I have a feeling I will be seeing them again.

8  Thank bill73met
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Cayo Guillermo has wonderful white sands and a lovely turquoise sea. It includes a magnificent place to swim with dolphins (do not miss that!). We spent 8 days in December 1212 - January 2013 with our twin daughters and had a very nice time.

Pluses: nice suite, very clean, beautiful beach and outdoor space in general. Lovely entertainment, cleaning and restaurant staff (Dairy, thanks a lot for teaching the girls how to dance!). Good dancing shows.

Minuses: some invisible but hungry mosquitoes (use protection!) and not enough space around the pool and in the beach for all the guests when the hotel is full. Check in took forever. Activities during the day, especially for kids, were very limited.

OK: value for money, food (the buffet is better than the thematic restaurants).

Overall, recommendable. Would love to come back.

Room Tip: Bungalows look nicer, since they have a little bit of a garden or beach...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Travelled to the Melia Cayo Guillermo from Jan.4 to 11, 2013. Took about 60 minutes from the airport to the hotel provided people do not take the time at the airport to exchange their money. The rate at the airport was only one cent per dollar cheaper, why hold up the bus? When we arrived the check-in was very slow and under staffed. We went to the Memories Flamenco on Cayo Coco in Oct. 2012 and check in was done right on the bus So much faster to enjoy the resort and get some supper. The resort here is geared for young families with children as it has a turtle pond, fish pond and day care. The beach was fantastic with shallow water and lots of sand. Due to the windy days in January kite surfers were very popular, but it did not make for good snorkelling or water sports. Walking to wards the left as you faced the water was a great walk. We tried to walk to Pilar Beach but unfortunately it was too far a walk. But it was a great scenic walk along the shore and after an hour you find a second sandy beach with many shells. If one gets tired walking back a quicker route would be the horse trail which is located about twenty yards off the beach all the way back to the resort. We walked this many times. This area will give you the true sense of the virgin area. All in all it was a pretty good place to spend the week but I do not think we will return to this resort as we wood like to explore others first.

3  Thank Tom502
Reviewed January 22, 2013

To put it simply, we love the Melia Cayo Guillermo. Honestly, we have forgotten exactly how many times we have visited this property but it has to be close to 23 times. There are so many reasons why we take our vacations here but the most important are that it is a lovely, intimate (not too big or too small), clean and lively resort, the beach is fabulous and the people are warm, friendly and amazing. The service is always great, the food is very good and we always have a wonderful time. Yamely for us is the face of the Hotel and although she is our very good friend, she never ceases to amaze me with her knowledge of everything Cuba and resolution to find a solution to even the smallest of a guest's concerns. Arlent, Edgar, Wilmer, Roberto, Mayelin, Adriana, Serguay and Luis (to mention a few) at the Lobby bar are great at their jobs and always serve with a smile and conversation when they are not too busy. Misleydis, Junier and Dianys from Housekeeping treat us well and keep everything clean and tidy for us. The restaurant staff always aim to please and it has been our pleasure to get to know many of them. Vania and Jesus at the Italian, Jose and Gusto at the International, Remberto who serves at the Pizza/Pasta counter, Leyanis, Pedro, Edel, Abel, Josmany, Yasnery, Yaima in the Buffet, just to name a few. We miss it there so much we are going back again this February. Great place to get away from our Canadain winter.

Room Tip: North facing rooms on higher floors have a beautiful view of the ocean and pool area.
2  Thank LadyDi1129
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is the first time Im sharing on trip advisor and I hope it helps someone. I use this site all the time and I wish I knew what I was in for.
First off I want to start off by saying if you read all these excellent reviews they mostly stem from the staff and I have to agree they are a great bunch they really go out of their way to make you feel welcome and help with anything they can. But down to the actual review of the resort...

Excellent!

Terrible- Really a hit or miss
my burger 4 times was cooked and still RAW and my chicken on the grill So dissapointing
The bacon uncooked
Chicken at the a la carte and lunch restaurant on the beach very tough to chew and hard to cut through
but i do have to say the international a la carte was amazing! We tried to rebook so we can enjoy the food but we were told they were to full
No cream cheese for breakfast ?!? Weird No toast a couple of mornings very strange

Rooms
Outdated we stayed in a nice bungalow that was not to far from anything except the club and show area which is nice as we have a baby and prefered to be away from the noise but it was on the first floor so the room was always muggy the beds always felt wet and lots of bugs and spiders EEWWW! the caulking in the bathtub was gross and overall the maint of the room is not kept up to par by no means does this have anything to do with the cleaning crew they were great!!! my inlaws had a room that the toilet would take 2 hours to refill the water and had barely any flushing power they tried to repair twice and than said there was nothing they can do about it.

Pool
Not enough seating my husband and daughter spent the majority of our trip on towels on the floor by the pool and my father in law one afternoon had to actually sit on the floor because every chair was taken and mainly by people just holding it with their stuff and towles. Their just isnt enough seating

Shows
Entertaining the problem i found when they decided to do shows in different areas of the ground and again there was not enough seating for people and many just stood not comfortable at all

Entertainment staff
They tried hard to keep eveyone entertained but they stuck to the same people that always played and didnt really encourage others to join in. just an observation...

Grounds
Lots of bugs it was terrible i had no lie over 83 bites all over my body the stuff they use to spray their grounds is just not enough and they would only spray certain area each night they should cover the grounds better this is my first vacation ever that i got this many bites and i have been to CUBA countless times to different resorts.
Overall there was a few staff members across the grounds really trying to maintain and fix but i believe they need to really overhaul this place.
Bathrooms were always out of toilet paper that i had to start carrying an extra roll from my rooms and most of the locks in the bathroom and seats were broken. The lobby is very outdated with very limited seating for the amount of people and never once while sitting at the lobby or pool were we ever offered any refreshment i would understand if the resort was not rated as 4.5 Star

Kids Club/Baby club
I have a 22month old daughter and before we left we searched and searched for photos and reviews in regards to it and could not find any and now i understand why. Let me just say I would not leave my daughter there not becasue of the staff they were extremly pleasent but just the maint of it and really not much for the kids to do or anywhere to nap like some of the other resorts we had seen.

Overall I'm just trying to help someone else out. I always use trip advisor and I rely on it to book my vacation and I really hope i can help someone else make their destination choice more informed. Look carefuly at the reviews wether people are rating the staff or the resort and then choose based on what your looking for in a vacation. As far as My family and I are concerned we will NOT be returning to this hotel.
I do want to make mention that before we left i spoke with JESUS the manager he was very pleasent and apologised for our less than exceptional stay and assured us that he was trying to fix things and i believe he is. I just can't risk more money to return to this resort.

To me this resort is not a 4.5 star i would Rate it as a fair 3....

4  Thank MeyNun
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Just arrived back today from 14 nights a this hotel...staff excellent rooms could do with a few touch ups but clean and comfortable.
grounds well maintained...however the loos ponged a bit...we mentioned this and the staff were straight onto it.
Everybody so helpfull. plenty of food choice easily a good solid four star resort.

would return again

#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Sercotel Club Cayo Guillermo
Sercotel Club Cayo Guillermo
#5 of 7 in Cayo Guillermo

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!