“Paradise on earth!”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Gatineau
“Paradise on earth!”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Just returned from our 6th time at the Melia. What can I say, we just love, love, love this place. It`s our home away from home, our little piece of paradise on earth!
Alot of upgrades have been done over recent years, and the hotel has re-opened in August after a 4 month closure, for upgrades. Rooms are clean, and the upgrades are beautiful. The hotel gardens are breathtaking!
The Italian restaurant was excellent, made good Al Dente pasta and the pizza`s were delicious. Our only complaint was on the lasagna at the evening a la carte Italian...was way too cooked and mushy, but overall, I give this restaurant a 4 stars. I was sad to see it closed in the late evening as we would often grab a pizza after a late night of partying.. but we could still get a little something to curb our hunger in the late evenings.
The buffet has good variety of food and I noticed more salads which is nice. The El Rancho had not re-opened yet as a la carte evening restaurant. The hotel was full, so would of been nice to have this restaurant opened. We went to the international restaurant and were surprised to have to pay $15.00 for a small langosta. It not a big price to pay, however, we would prefer to go at the Cuba libre restaurant or the playa pilar restaurant and have a much bigger langosta for the same price. In an all inclusive hotel, especially with return and VIP clients, we should not have to pay for lobster, in my opinion. Now for the most amazing thing at this hotel: the cuban people, the workers.
I cannot say enough about how wonderful theses people are. Friendly, courteous, and always ready to help even though sometimes in less than ideal working conditions. Sandor and Mariuski at the client services are absolutely amazing and tended to our requests in a timely manner. I cannot thank them enough for their courteous generousity and friendliness.
The lobby bar staff are absolutely amazing. My only complaint is to separate the coffee machine from the lobby bar as this takes alot of time away from people who want to drink booze, after all, it IS a bar! Cappucinos, expressos etc. should be done somewhere else. Luis Enriqué is the BEST captaine, Roberto an absolute gem, Wilmer, Edgar, Myelin, Hésus and Arlent are dedicated to service excellence. They moved Serguey for some reason to the pool bar from 3 to 7, then he comes to the lobby bar from 7 to 11 pm....WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU THINKING?? Serguey is one of the best waiters along side his comrades at the lobby bar. This is where he belongs. The A-team is not the same without Serguey. Please bring him back to the lobby bar... We really miss him!
And last but not least, my dear Yoadelis. What an amazing person! The flowers at the buffet, the hotel entrance, and a la carte restaurants are absolutely amazing. What a wonderful job she does day in and day out to make the resort look beautiful. Thank you for a job well done and making our little piece of paradise a little brighter every day. :)

Pros: Cleanliness of the grounds, upgrades, food, beach and staff, especially the lobby bar staff, client services staff and Yoa!

Cons: El Rancho restaurant closed, paying for lobster, coffee machine at the lobby bar, Serguey moved to the pool bar...(please bring him back to the lobby bar!!) Hésus, the sommelier washing the dishes. Maybe the sommelier should be in a à la carte restaurant and counsel the clients about the wines?

I would recomment this place in a heart-beat and will be returning again and again!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Blainville, Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2012

My daughter and I had the pleasure to stay at your hotel. When we arrived at the hotel we were all in awe at the magnificence of the hotels facade and lobby. We were greeted by salsa dancers who invited us to join them to dance. We arrived there as a group and they handed us colorful drinks and music. The service there is impeccable. The staff and people are the friendliest people we have ever met on a trip. The housekeeping staff are always there to help with a smile. Lily for example is always there to help. Galy the hostess at the restaurant is a bundle of laughs. Yosmany at the buffet restaurant is a sweetheart. Rememberto even cuts your pizza at your table for you! Carmen is always eager to please! Jesus, one of the chefs there, is our big funny teddy bear. The rooms are spacious. The beach and pool magnificient. I am forgetting some names, but like I said, they are all amazing. Go to this hotel and you wont be dissapointed. You will get excellent accomodations and an excellent staff. What more do you want? Go there and enjoy!! Thank-you so much!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We're a retired couple from Ontario's Niagara area so a week away in January was much appreciated.
I had done a fair bit of research on tripadvisor and other sites so there weren't many surprises. My expectations were high and I was not disappointed.

I located many of the staff whose names I had seen in various reviews and it was a pleasure to see that the good things written about their friendliness and efficiency were indeed true.
The resort general manager, Paco, and the customer services manager, Eidel, were both concerned that our stay was as pleasant as they could make it. For example, when we had a plumbing problem, they had the repairmen on it the same day. Paco even offered us a change of rooms.

It was my birthday during the week we were there and a cake was presented to us during dinner on my special day. We each enjoyed a slice and offered the rest to a lovely Canadian family at an adjacent table. They now know the meaning of "cumpleanos".

We found most of the staff to be very helpful and pleasant.
Jenny, our housekeeper was efficient and friendly.
Domingo, an elderly groundskeeper was always ready with a smile.
Tommy, Serguey, and Anna Isa at the pool bar worked hard to keep up with the orders.
Luis, Serguey, and Roberto at he lobby bar did a marvelous job.
Luis in the sports bar was on top of the situation each day.
Milay was an excellent waitress in the buffet as was the gentleman who made those delicious banana flambes.
The staff working the grills in the buffet and the Ranchon were exceptional. They prepared great pizzas, pasta, omelettes, fish, and so much more.
On the whole we were very satisfied with the variety and quality of the food, especially at the Ranchon and the buffet. However, the selection and quality at the Italian and International restaurants was disappointing. You need reservations for these two a la carte restaurants but next time we will skip those and stick with the buffet, the Ranchon, and the pool snack bar.

I can't say enough about the lovely grounds and the marvelous pool. The beach, too, is amazing. Such fine sand and calm water. I especially liked walking along the pier. There was never a problem obtaining a lounge at either the pool or beach.

We didn't go on any excursions because it was so pleasant just to relax, meet people, read a bit, and enjoy the sunshine and scenery.

Our overall impression of the MCG is very favourable and we will certainly recommend it to our holidaying friends.

We certainly hope to return.

Room Tip: Choose building 1 if you want to be near the pool and the buffet.
4 Thank Norm V
Ont. Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Just spent the week of 14-21 at Melia; first 2 days were very windy and chilly. third day I got food poisoning or something??? severe stomach pains and couldn't leave my room or the washroom, was like that until we left Sat. The last thing I ate for lunch was a burger at the grill and they always looked raw in the middle. Couldn't keep anything down except the bottled water from the room. Needless to say my week wasn't so good; but the resort is nice, clean, a little worn, very lush, nice size, easy to get around. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Food was typical of Cuba- you'll always find something, no matter how picky you are. I did not find the 2 a la cartes that great. Drinks were better than I expected. Always loungers available. Would be nice if they had pool side waiters... always entertainment going on throughout the day by the pool. They have a swim up pool bar but it was not open or being used. All in all I would recommend this resort.

2 Thank sandg1
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Just got home cant wait to go back. Property was wonderful and well groomed the food was great with lots of options from fries to lobster. Our room was clean and functional however it was on the third floor, too many stairs. We will request a lower level next time, this is likely the only thing we would have changed about the whole week. The staff at this resort is top drawer, they make you feel like family everyone from wait staff to grounds keeping. The beach is everything you could dream of nothing more need be said of it. Even the house wine was good and inclusive any time of day. Great entertainment for all ages and my husband is still trying to figure out how the magician took his watch. We went as a couple to relax and unwind, MCG provided everything we wanted from bars in every corner to quiet alone spots and miles of sand to wander but our review would not be complete if we did not mention that they put up with the volume that we and our new friends made without complaint (it was Ians fault). We went in alone and came out as a pack. "Just Sayin" See you next year.

Room Tip: bring toilet paper, it runs low.
7 Thank ForEverAndADay88
Bracknell
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We've been to the Melia every september for the last 4 years, in my opinion the best holidays we've ever had. (Even the hurricane Ike couldn't spoil things)
The wonderful staff and relaxing hotel give us something to look forward to.
We've just found out that Thomas Cook are'nt going there this year, I can't believe it!
We will get there even if we have to swim or paddle lilo's
Watch this space!

Room Tip: Ask reception, nothing is a problem
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank mickeyboy54
Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2012

My sister and I Just got back from MCG, we were there Jan 14 to Jan 21 and had a perfect vacation. The hotel is very clean and the staff are very friendly, like family. Food was good, fish and pasta great. Entertainment was wonderful, Jimmy / Tina Turner was hilarious !!! Yenia you are awsome and we miss you already. We will be back...

Thank you Eidel!

#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!