“Amazing!”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
CAYUGA
“Amazing!”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

First I would like to thank Eidel for helping make our vacation perfect. We traveled with 4 other couples and he did his best to keep us all together, we all had a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a complimentary bottle of rum in our rooms when we arrived, which was a nice touch.
This is our 4th visit to the Melia and knew that the renovations could only make it better! The pool is spectacular, the gardens are even more beautiful than before (if that’s possible), and the beach is breathtaking. We were thrilled when the staff recognized us and made a point of coming over and saying hello! That in itself was worth it!
No one in our party had any trouble with the food, there was always a wide variety and delicious.
We were invited to the return guest’s dinner and it was nice to know that our patronage is recognized and appreciated.
Even though it rained one day (which by the way is no fault of the resorts, lol) we were kept busy in the lobby with dancing and games, it really was a lot of fun!
We usually go on the Catamaran and decided to do something different. Rocky the life guard set up an excursion for us, which consisted of fishing, lobster lunch at a new restaurant and a snorkelling experience like none I have ever experienced before. It was truly amazing!!!! See Rocky at the beach if you want to go! It is well worth it!
Paco, you should be proud of the resort, but even prouder of the wonderful staff that goes out of their way to make a person’s vacation that much more special. We have never felt pressured to tip and we tip because the service is always good.
I would recommend this resort all day long; we are already talking about going back next year!
Tracey

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank Beef2198

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Ontario
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Just returned from our fourth time at this resort with four other couples, and I must say each time it gets better and better. The staff have always gone above and beyond to ensure you enjoy your stay and we have made many friends with the staff at this resort. The beach is out of this world. From the turquoise blue water, white powder sand and a beautiful pier with huts to sit under, as well makes an excellent location for pictures. You will never go hungry as there is so much food to choose from. The buffet restaurant, the beach grill, the pool side restaurant, the Italian restaurant and international restaurant. It’s hard to say which one was our favourite as we loved them all. The rooms have just been updated and are very large and clean. I would highly recommend this resort.. "Miss you guys already" and are planing to come back once again next year..:) Trust me you cannot go wrong with this resort!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
11 Thank HappyT
South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We have just had a fantastic holiday, I emailed Eidel before we went and he gave us a beautiful room 3301 and sent us a lovely flower arrangement the day after we arrived. We were celebrating our Wedding Anniversary and we couldn't have picked any where nicer.

The rooms are very comfortable and they are kept immaculate.The staff were by far the best we have encountered on our travels.

We did have several days of rain and it still didn't spoil our holiday because the staff and fellow guests were so friendly, I think this was due to the fact most were return guests.

The beach and the sea are absolutely fabulous it is truly like paradise soft white powdery sand and a clear warm sea.

The food we thought was excellent and they had premium drinks, a previous reviewer compared it unfavourably to Sandals Royal Hicacos in Varadero, we stayed there for a previous anniversay and I thought the Melia was better especially the food and staff.

If you are looking for a relaxing holiday with a fab beach and a nice clean comfortable room, edible food, and staff that look after you then this is the place for you

5 Thank paradiselover
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We visted the hotel before major renovations on a so called pricing error. Air Transit was said to forget to include air fare in the price so we got the package discounted. I said I paid a 2.5 star price and that's what the hotel experience was.
There was a 1.5 hr wait in the lobby for check in after 40 min bus ride from the airport at 12midnight. I had 2 young children and they were up until 2 am with no urgency with the front desk. They were not friendly at all, actually nasty most times.
Once checked into room, we had to bribe the person who restocked the rooms with beverages for water and half the time our -'fully stocked fridge was empty'.
Food was bad very bad. The grill room must have been 40 deg no a/c , long waits if you wanted something fresh. The poor cook must have been cooking himself. The pizza man had to specially deliver your pizza to your table for his nightly tip. etc The wait staff searched out the Canadians to ensure they seated the tippers. Every staff seemed to have a hard luck story building a house, no pay in summer. Unsanitary food conditions with the raw grilled food sitting out all during the service and didn't matter if you wanted fish, chicken or beef - the same tongs - and raw or cooked the same ones used. I could find something to eat - lost weight but did not starve. Hoping to enjoy the food and gain some. Good place to go if you want to go on a diet. The beach house evening restaurant was good - the International was not.
Bad sand fleas - had to see the doctor - she and the nurse were very good. The usually gastrointestial issues, we were all sick. Bring Deep Woods Off if you go. If your up early in the morning you can see the fogging they do.
Some good. Noelkiss was fantastic with the children and did not expect a tip, we did because she deserved it!
Beach and pier wonderful. Overall was not horrible , but not a 4.5 star experience. Stayed at Sandles in Vard and Cayo Coco Trip before and they were much better. Staff was most likely skimming the products etc and trying for tips as they were going to be unemployed for the summer.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank merach39
Directormcg, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Dear Merach

First of all, thak you for choosing Melia Cayo Guillermo.

Even if your review is previous to our closing and after that the hotel got improvde, I am sorry about your impression of the hotel.

The reality of the hotel was not the one you want to show, maybe because you didn't feel fine with what you got, you saw things worse.

For the time your were here we didn't have other sickness rapports anyway I am sorry too about it because it could disturb too your stay.

Specially I want to tell you about your culinary impression.

Melia Cayo Guillermo has standards given by Melia and we have to follow them, apart from them we add other options in order to improve the quality, in the moment you came there were not less than 10 different varieties of meet and 8 of fish (now we are augmenting the quantity even more)

About things likie the pizza man, there I notice that your perception of the stay was not so good, he doesn't deliver the pizza for the tips, it is a service, we do it for you not to wait until it is done.

About tips, it is not a must and if you give it, it is just because you feel fine with the service but I am sure even if you don't give it, the service will be good, you can see in many of our reviews that our staff is the main point at the hotel and me as Manager I am proud of it.

I hope we could have the possibility to change your mind in the future and me or the person in charge at that moment has the possibility to meet you in person.

Thanks again for being a Melia Cayo Guillermo member and give us your comments, we always want to improve.

Best Regards

Paco Benito
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We have just returned from our 2nd stay at the I was not resort and I have to say we had a fantasic time. Everyone from the bell boys to hotel management r stay the best it went out of their way to make could be. Nothing is too much trouble !!
We had the most relaxing and enjoyable holiday I can remember..Although we had a few storms whilst we were there, we were never bored as the staff entertained us in the main lobby and at the pool bar. Ana who works there is a real star..always happy and smiling, putting a shine on a dull day..Eidel who is the head of customer service is a gem...always ready to help. Paco the manager is regularly doing the rounds checking his staff and socialising with his clients.

Would I recommend this hotel ?????? hell yessssssssss....it's such a pleasure to be surrounded by people who genuinely enjoy talking and helping you.

Would I go back ???????? Tomorrow if I could get time off work !!!!!!

Can't wait for my next trip there...PARADISE !!!

Room Tip: We had a bungalow which is a little more spacious
3 Thank Andybee1996
england
Reviewed October 26, 2011

we had a lovely break at this hotel food was very good great choice, rooms very clean.
beach was beautful (could be in the maldives how lovely the sea and sand looked)
we did catamarran trip which we enjoyed very much food was good and good choice of drinks
we did speed boats through the mangroves which was very exciting.
my husband and friend went on a fishing trip with dunnieski a well known fishing guide and they caught a 70lb sail fish which could turn out to be a record breaker at cuba
we found all the staff at hotel very friendly
the only downfall for this holiday was being bitten to death not by mozzies but by the sand flies and some sort of bug in the whicker furniture in the lounges

Room Tip: we had room 3309 it was on third floor but overlooking sea and had double area with table and chairs...
3 Thank gebesh
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I have recently returned from my 20th visit to the Melia. This place really is paradise. The Ranchon and the Italian Restaurants have been repainted on the outside and they look great. The renovations in the guestrooms are also very good. New bed linens, table lamps, better water pressure and great air conditioning. The new liner in the pool is very nice and the pool has been separated so the kids cannot swim up the the bar. Not all of our friends were back at work yet as the hotel is not filled to capacity, but that will change once high season begins.

When we pulled up the the front of the hotel, it was so nice to see Galioska and Mariusky there to greet us. Check-in was quick and our bags were taken to our rooms. The new Customer Services office is also nice. I had a room on the second floor and it was just great. Close enough to everything but yet still quite quiet. My maid, Yuya, was fantastic the entire two weeks that I was there. It was always nice to come back to the room to see what little towel animal she had left for me.

I have always found the food in the Buffet to be quite good with lots of choices. There is a new Head Chef from Spain and he has added a lot of different things; such as lots of salad dressings and sauces and a good selection of pickles and raw vegetables. If anything, there was so many different things, it was hard to make my mind. Never went away hungry. It was nice to have Gali greet you every morning as you would enter the Buffett for breakfast. She always had a smile on her face.

Orlando, Anaisa and Tommy at the Pool Bar always met you with a smile on their faces. You can get hamburgers, hot dogs, fries and the best toasted ham and cheese sandwiches at the pool bar during the day.

At night, the Lobby Bar was usually busy, but you never had to wait long for a drink. There were a few nights when there were some storms so everyone was inside, but that didn't seem to slow the bar staff down at all. Wilmer, Luis Enrique, Serguay, Orlando, Roberto and Edouardo make some of the best drinks you will have.

The beach was just as I had remember it. Could not ask for a better place to spend your day. I was sad to leave all of our friends, but I know that I will be returning very soon. Just cannot seem to stay away from this little piece of paradise for too long.

Room Tip: Some rooms on the ground floor flood during the rainy season, so I would suggest you choose a room...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
#3 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!