“HOME AMAY FROM HOME”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Montreal, Canada
“HOME AMAY FROM HOME”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

Trip may 15 to may 22. This was our 6th visit to S.C.G. As always the staff is eager to please but this being Cuba you have to expect certain glitches. The beach restaurant was closed most of the time for lunch but that was due to the weather (4 days of on/off rain). It was not open for dinner (low occupancy) except for one night when we attended a special dinner for frequent guests. It happened to be our 6 month wedding anniversary (wedding in nov 2013 at this hotel). The beach is as magnificent as always, love thoses dunes at low tide, and was kept fairly clean of washed up seaweed and garbage. Nice room on 2nd floor with ocean view and well kept. You have to make sure that the cleaning lady leaves you toilet paper (asked just once though). Food is very good by Cuban standards. The lobster (langosta) availiable at the Don Guillermo rest. for 15 CUC is excellent and worth the small extra This being a fairly small hotel , everything is a 3 minutes walk or less (beach, bar, buffet lobby ect.). Do not hesitate to address the employees at the Customer satisfaction office (left of the lobby) if something is not to your liking, they are extremely friendly and get problems solved. Thanks go to Yudy Cantun Martinez (our wedding planner) from cust. serv. who made sure that we look forward to coming back for our first anniversary and our seventh visit.

Room Tip: ask for a 2nd floor room or a ocean view bungalow. the east side is quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Marc B
Jose Antonio R, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Repeated Marc,

I'm so glad to read that your 7 visit has also been an enjoyable experience. Thank you for posting your review on this site. We have published with agencies 3 restaurants in brochures (Ranchon during the day, buffet and 1 a la carte restaurant), Ranchon will be open for lunchtime. Thank you for recommending our lobster, I'm agree with you, it worth the small extra charge. I hope to see you soon! Have a wonderful week!

Jose Antonio / General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit to sol cayo Guillermo and I would definitely say I'd go again. The entertainment staff are what make this place. Everyone is so friendly and talented. The food isn't particularly great but there is a lovely seafood beach restaurant (not included in all inclusive) that makes up for it. The drinks and cocktails are of a wide range and the lobby bar even has things such as dissarono and Malibu. The beach is right on your doorstep. It is literally like something you see in a magazine !!! Highly recommended

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Abi_29384
Dear Lovely Aby,

WOW! I have enjoyed a lot your comment, It was an small review but it touched my heart, thank you very much for share your second experience in Sol Cayo Guillermo on this site. Thank you very much for all your compliments they show me we are going for the right road to please our clients. I also would like to thank you for your Highly recommendation. Hope to see you soon to welcome you in your second home and offer you another great holiday experience. Have a lovely day.

Rushden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

This was our first visit to Sol Cayo Guillermo and I have to say it was a very enjoyable two week stay. The hotel complex is located right next to a fantastic beach and is only a short bus or taxi ride to Pilar beach (which apparently is named after Ernest Hemingways boat). Much of the island is mangrove swamp which is why there are plenty of mosquitoes, but at the same time, flamingos, herons and egrets can also be seen very close to the hotel. I even saw a small crocodile in the mangroves and a hummingbird in the hotel gardens and while sunbathing on the beach we regularly saw an egret only a few feet away, catching small lizards in the undergrowth next to the beach!
The hotel itself was very nice and had a choice of restaurants and bars, swimming pools, tennis courts, pool table, etc. Our room was nice and clean, had air conditioning and a good sized balcony with a lovely view overlooking the gardens and the sea. We did have a problem with our safe which took a couple of visits to sort out but in the end the problem was fixed and the charge was very kindly refunded (special thanks to Yudi in customer services!).
The food was mostly good with plenty of choice. For breakfast the scrambled eggs were very nice every other day and there was a choice of boiled, scrambled or even freshly fried eggs or omelettes at one of the cooking stations. The freshly cooked pancakes were also very nice. There was also cereals, ham and cheese, bread or toast and many other things but disappointingly, they only had bacon just one morning, that I saw at least. There was plenty of choice in the buffet at lunchtime and dinnertime with cooking stations offering freshly cooked fish, meat, pasta, etc. At many of the dinners, a chef would serve a portion from a freshly cooked fish or some pork ribs which were particularly nice! Another chef would be cooking flambeed bananas which I enjoyed together with a variety of ice-creams.
As many others have already said in their own reviews, it is the staff that make your stay in this hotel particularly enjoyable. The waiters are all very friendly and courteous and serve you with all your drinks. They are kept very busy a lot of the time but will always do their best to keep you in drinks and fresh cutlery as well as doing their best to make you feel special. The entertainment staff were really very good and worked very hard all throughout the whole day. They greeted when you first arrived and said goodbye when you left. There were some great shows in the evening including one which was held in and around the pool which was particularly good. There was plenty of entertainment through the day including archery which was our favourite. We met some nice people doing this including Craig and Emma and Stewart and Anita. We also met a nice Canadian couple by the pool, Tony and Fern. Even the gardeners were very friendly and helped make our holiday very enjoyable.
I'm a keen sea angler so I paid several visits to the bridge between the two islands where we caught plenty of big garfish and other smaller fish and almost managed to hook, for a few seconds, one of the big barracudas which hide under the bridge! I did however, eventually manage to catch (after several unsuccessful attempts) one of the many double-figure tarpon that frequent the mangroves. There were a number of options for boat fishing trips but I didn't try any thus time - maybe next year?
All-in-all it was a great holiday and if you can put up with the mossies, we would definitely recommend it.
A big thankyou to all the staff from John and Hazel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank John I
Dear John,

Just by reading the title of your review we get a perfect portrait of your very much enjoyable holiday experience. We are so glad to read it has been such a great time shared with our team! We will certainly share your very nice words with the staff, your comments make us feel very proud of the way they serve you all. I'm glad you have found new friends in our hotel, i hope you can be together at the same time in your future holiday. Please, as soon as your re-book, email us your booking details for us to look after another great time in Sol Cayo Guillermo.

wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

just returned from the SCG forth time at this hotel and everything was outstanding as usual a big thank you to all the management and staff for a wonderful time and will be back to see you next year or even sooner hopefully l

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Jose Antonio R, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear

We have enjoyed reading your comments. Thank you very much for reviewing your positive experiences on this site and let us know you had another outstanding holiday. It was a pleasure for us to have provided you the magic of Melia Hotels International by Sol Cayo Guillermo. Great to read that you will visit us again and special thanks for recommending us! Please, email us your booking details and just ring the bell for us to look after another excellent holiday with us.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Lovely complex.Staff very hard working and pleasant.Entertainment the best i have seen at an all inclusive.Beach is beautifull.Food may not be four star but there is something for everybody although a little repetative. Although the international restaurant was very nice you can choose one a la carte each week. Great weather great holiday great staff at this hotel

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Jose Antonio R, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Lesley,

Thank you for all your compliments with the hotel. thank you for taking time to write them, I'm glad to read we were able to provide you with a nice holiday experience. I'm totaly agree with your remarks, Entertainment is the best, staff very hard working and pleasant & Beach beautifull, is the package you always looked for. We would like to have you back in our resort again and we would like to accomodate you well. therefore before your next visit to us, please, let us know in advance your requests, so that we can fullfil them and you can have an excellent stay with us once more. Sol Cayo Guillermo began to miss you since you packed you luggage. We hope to see you soon!

Niagara Falls, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

I'll keep my review short and sweet.

This was my 8th visit to the island of Cayo Guillermo.7/8 stays have been at the Melia Cayo Guillermo. I wanted to try something different... And it certainly was. I used to roll my eyes when people post such negative things or pictures of filth at their resort because let's face it... It's not North America things aren't state of the art and I can appreciate that so here is my honest review.

Pros:

The beach: beyond stunning. Crystal clear azure blue waters and white sands as far as the eye can see. The tide is low enough for young children to enjoy the beach and parents don't have to worry about deep waters for hundreds of feet.

The pool: perfect... Not huge but just enough space for everyone to play or relax. The deck has a few cabanas and a lot of chairs. I never had to reserve a chair there's always some available.

The rooms: average for Cuba. Nothing outstanding but its a room.. I'm assuming you're just going to sleep so who needs the marble floors or fancy waterfall shower heads that I've experiences at other all inclusives around the Caribbean.

Resort: in a perfect location close to many of the attractions. In my opinion the beach at the sol is the best due to the way the tide goes out there aren't deep waters.

Staff: the buffet service staff was wonderful. Very genuine and always smiling. Yamila and Roberto were my favourites.
The gardeners are great! Always showing their talents with their crafty palm creatures or making bouquets of flowers for the women.
Our maid was fantastic but I don't know her name... Probably the best maid I've had at any resort.

Cons:

Front desk: never happy or smiling. For 3 days the resort phones were not working and I was unable to call home. When asked how I could reach my family, I was told I could go to the melia and get a phone card... I walked to the melia and was told that the phone cards are for locals cell phones. On the first day we had no bottles of water or drinks in our fridge and then when I called front desk to ask to have it filled we were told that its an extra service!!!!!!! Are you kidding me!?! I'm at an all inclusive and I have to pay for my mini bar?? I wanted pop not a bottle of rum!! It took 12 hours ( no exaggration) to finally get a bottle of water which we were only allowed 1 of. Beyond rediculous !!!!!!!!

Resort:
The cleanliness is brutal... I took pictures because I was in disbelief. For 3 days there was a stack of dishes placed on the ground of the "pantry" which is where the maids wash their bedding. The plates had food caked on them and just sat there. The same situation in another area of the resort that I walked by daily.

The gardens were dead and and looked like weeds rather than beautiful tropical bushes.

Our room door (314) looked like it had possibly been kicked in before... The lock was broken and just handing on the frame of the door. Sometimes it'd get stuck and I'd have throw my shoulder hard into it just to open the door.

The air conditioning worked one time at the buffet, every other day/night the place was a sauna. The cold items were sweating. Definitely not sanitary for the cold cuts that were sitting out at th buffet.

There was no phone service available for days so if there was an emergency back home you'd never know.

The food:

Borderline horrible. I never understood when people would complain about the food in Cuba because I've only ever stayed at a 5 star and there was tons of great food... Something for everyone... Pizza, pasta, a girl station... Etc.

At this resort the buffet was by far the worst I had ever seen. Never a change and all if the hot stations were mystery foods. They had tags out for the food in the hot trays but placed incorrectly so u had to guess what you were eating. I kid you not when I say the food was the same every day with the exception of 1 when they had a bus from another resort come by with guests for a tour. That was the only day the air conditioning conveniently worked in the buffet as well.

On a Tuesday I believe it was, there was a group from Montreal departing and they had a huge farewell for them with music and decorations... Similar to the way you are greeted when you return. But that was the only time I saw any sort of effort into making guests feel welcome.

The chefs in the buffet were always angry at someone or something. The gentleman at the pasta station hated everyone who wanted pasta. Not making any conversation, checking his phone and texting every second. Throwing things around... Just nasty.

One morning I believe it was my last, I asked what appeared to be the head chef if there was someone at the pancake station and he yelled at me saying "in a minute!!!!!"

I am a server who works in a busy restaurant so I understand the stresses of working in that environment so I'm a little more u detstandibg and patient with staff but that was uncalled for.

The entertainment was probably ok but I can't comment on it because the Mosquitos were too bad to stick around ... Obviously no one but mother natures fault.

There was only 1 a la carte available that week. The ranchon was closed for an unknown reason.

Overall I was quite disappointed but I paid for what I got since it wasn't peak season. I would however be very upset paying full price at peak season and seeing what the resort had to offer.

Now I know the real difference the star ratings ... 5 star is truly the only way to go!

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank Mamma_C1982
Dear Mamma

First of all, thank you very much for taking part of your time to write your comments on tripadvisor, we really appreciate it, they give us the opportunity to work on you (clients) to be better and better, and we took them very seriously, I had read it to our employees your oppinions, specially reception in order to let them know how our clients are looking us & fix the issue for the next ones. We would like to have you back in our resort again and we would like to accomodate you well. therefore before your next visit to us, please, let us know in advance your requests, so that we can fullfil them and you can have an excellent stay with us once more.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

This is my 5th stay at this Resort and each time it is more magical!

Thomas Cook Flight

On time, in fact early both ways! New planes are much better, 2 4 2 set up with more legroom, better inflight extertainment (ability to choose & pause etc) & great meals.

Rooms

Every room in the Resort is as good as the last although you do have your preferred location, mine being blocks 800 & 900. As renovations are starting in this area, we stayed in a bungalow 606 which was a fab location, sea front and close access to main Resort area. Upper floor rooms & bungalows have high ceilings, creating much more space in the rooms. Rooms cleaned daily, fresh water provided each day & towels changed when requested. Iron & ironing boards provided but maybe take a travel kettle if travelling with little ones for bottles.

Resort

One of the smaller Resorts accross the Cayos but with no less attention to detail! Resort is well maintained and extremely clean. There is a main buffet, A la carte - the Don Guillermo, a snack bar, bbq & beach Ranchon, together with a main bar, lobby bar & Rum Bar (Cubanito). The Resort has one pool, sectioned into smaller pools. There is a gym, sauna & massage facility, tennis courts and children's mini club / play area. Access to the internet is also available in the lobby but remember this is Cuba so access is slow! There are a few small shops in the lobby area but with limited supplies so take with you everything you feel you will need just incase. Towels are supplied, one per person which you can change dailt.

Food / Drink

Have no complaints at all, there is always something delicious on offer, from the fresh meat counter, fish counter, pasta counter, salad bar or dessert counter, together with the main buffet prepared food. Food is always hot & tasty. Snack bar is mainly toasties or burgers. There is a wide variety of food to choose from. There is a wide variety of drinks too.

Beach

Out of the world! Powder like sand, turquoise water, very warm & shallow, ideal for all ages. Take some bread into the sea & the fish will feed from your hand.

Excursions (Thomas Cook)

Wide variety of excursions, reasonably priced. Dolphins are great & so is the full day catamaran. I would recommend doing to town excursion, something like 'this is cuba / now cuba' to see the real Cuba.

Entertainment

All day activities from archery, lazy darts, vollyball, dancing, mini club. Night time, children's mini disco, adult game & evening show! Fantasia show is a must see.

Staff

These are the people who make this Resort so special. Attention to detail is second to none. From pre holiday email communication to a wave off back to the airport. Yaimi & Lupe at Reception & Customer Service are extremely helpful and add the little touches to your holiday. Thank you girls! Lazaro, the Gardener, never stops - such a hard worker! He is a hidden gem in this Resort. Restaurant staff, Maria, Ana and Roberto make meal times much more comfortable. The two ladies & Francis behind the main bar never fail to smile. Cubainto Carlos - an asset to this Resort, wish you worked more days, we miss you on your 2 days off in between each 1 in!! Finally & most importantly, the fantastic Entertainment staff, what a fantastic job, Janiel, Ihlex, Rey and Felix, well done to you all, you were the highlight of our holiday! Generally, staff at SCG well done, we appreciate it & miss you all!

Tips

Kettle if travelling with little ones.
Plenty of Mozzie deterrent!
Upper floor rooms or bungalows.
Take everything you will need, supplies are limited.
Open mind and enjoy the culture of Cuba!

Well done SCG another fab year! We will most certainly be back! x

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms or bungalows
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank kitteneyes
Dear Loyal kitteneyes,

Magical was your long & helful comment! Just by reading the title of your review we get a perfect portrait of your very much enjoyable holiday experience. We are so glad to read it has been such a great time shared with our team! As you said our potential are staff and beach, they make the difference and they make worth you have spent your holiday close to us! Thank youi for your Loyalty and for choosing us everytime i hope you keep coming at the hotel for ever, we'll work for it. Have a wonderful day, See you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Guillermo
Melia Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,872 reviews

Been to Sol Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!