“Very relaxing”
Review of Sol Cayo Guillermo

Sol Cayo Guillermo
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Reviewed July 4, 2013

If you are looking for a simple place to stay and relax on the beach this is it. If you are expecting amazing food and fancy fixtures - this is not the place. The reviews are mixed because of expectations and traveller savvy (in my opinion). The staff were very friendly and happy to help whenever they could. The food choices and access to food is limited. 24-hr snack bar or something like that was advertised, but that wasn't the case. There was a poorly run snack-shack open for about 4 hours that could get you grilled cheese (or ham and cheese) a hot dog or a burger. But the staff that was running that was also in charge of about 3 other things so it wasn't always manned. The a la carte restaurants were great, and I was told that when the resort isn't busy it is possible to book an a la carte more than once (no matter what your all-inclusive my include). The resort is getting a bit old and slightly run-down, but again keep expectations in check.

Okay to the best things - the beach, the beach, the beach and the beach, maybe the water off the beach!? It was amazing. I was looking for a place to sit in the sun and read a book, and I found it. There was a dive shop on the beach of the next resort, after doing the snorkeling trip (2-3 hrs total, ~$20) I am positive I wouldn't want to be on a dive with the company - the boat had issues and safety was maybe third or fourth on the list of things to think about... (keeping smokes dry was #1).

I would totally stay here again, maybe I would pack some snacks.

Room Tip: I upgraded to an ocean view... and that isn't quite what I got - if I cranked my head there was...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jackie C
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear customer,

Thank you very much for all your nice comments and for recommending our hotel to other tripadvisor readers.

I am also glad to read that you had an enjoyable holiday and that you would definitely return to our hotel.

If that´s the case please do not hesitate to contact us in order to take personal care of your reservation and make sure you will receive all the ad values that as returning guest you are entitle to.

Luis.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,117)

Reviewed July 3, 2013

the cooks use the same tongs to pick cooked meat and raw meats up which resulted in everyone coming down with sickness an diarrhea, i mean everyone!.
when i spoke to the rep ivan, his attitude towards this was "well you are in a tropical climate, what do you expect"

ivan the rep had no interest unless you are there with your credit card and will speak to the person holding this, even though your mid conversation about your concerns.
The general upkeep of this hotel is tired and dated and i am fully aware that a Caribbean 4 star is not the same as a uk standard one, however this hotel is no where near a 3* either.
we took a day trip to the tryp hotel in cayo coco which is supposed to be lesser standard, however this was much nicer and the food was of a much better quality.

The food is boring and repetitive and is of a poor quality and as mentioned before the cooks use the same utensils to touch raw chicken, pork and beef, cook it and then serve it!!!!!!.
even the crockery that they serve soup in is broken and dangerous with sharp edges. The only time that the food and crockery was of an acceptable standard was when one of the bosses turned up and all the staff were running around, paint brushes in hand making a fuss.

The staff on the whole are friendly and the entertainment staff were fabulous who made the holiday better along with the other families that we met there.
some of the staff members were rude and ignored you if you did not tip them (which is optional and should be deserved and not expected!!.)

we witnessed cleaning staff mopping up the toilet floors which constantly stunk of urine, and then immediately after mop the bar area without rinsing or cleaning the mop.
there was also faeces on the door frame of one of the toilets which was not cleaned off for 4 days after i complained about this twice.
see my pictures if you cant believe what i am saying.

the pools were very dirty and one was closed on a daily basis. when we turned up one of the pools was drained and out of action for two days. when this was opened up the other pool was then closed due to no chlorine and being dirty. when we asked why we were told that the pump had frozen!!!. on one day both pools were and being cleaned at 9am after everyone had finished breakfast, when we asked what time it will be open for the kids to play in, the pool cleaner said 11am which then turned into 12pm and consisted of him dumping a huge amount of chlorine in and then asking a child to get in a stir it for him...which i stopped from happening and had a few choice words for the pool cleaner.

i would not recommend this hotel as it need some serious attention before it will be of an acceptable standard.

This was my honeymoon :-(

• Stayed: June 2013
13  Thank kellie l
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking part of your time sharing, on the Trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Cayo Guillermo.

We regret we did not fulfill your expectations, we sincerely apologise for this.

All your remarks are appreciated by us, they will be thoroughly analysed, because they help us to improve our daily work with the actions we take to solve the difficulties and avoid similar remarks.

Regarding food and sickness because of it, I have some doubts about this. So I ask myself, why it has to be caused by food and not because of any other excess of other kind?
We have not in our clinic medical records of diarrhea in the Hotel.

We kindly ask you to give us another opportunity so you can forget this bad experience.

Truly yours,

General Manager.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Me and my partner booked this holiday over a year ago. We visited from the 13th-27th of June. After reading alot of mixed reveiws before our stay I have to be honest when reading the bad reveiws I always thought that these people are expecting alot for the money they paid, and that it was cuba a poor country afterall what do they expect?! We came with low expecations thinking then we could only be presently surprised, but I have to say we wasn't. We moved hotel to the Melia next door which was well worth the extra money we paid. the cuban people turn up on week end's with only one mission...to drink as much as possible, this is fine however having to wait half an hour for a drink while the cabun visiters are served first when we arrived at the bar before them was a joke! the staff are rude for the exception of a couple. the food had flies and bird poo all over the food which was very off putting. There is only so much fresh pasta and meat you can eat.

Me and my partner are not on the snobby side at all but I don't think a polite hello from staff would be to much to ask or even fly free food either! I would never go back, If you have booked I would seriously consider paying the extra 100 quid to upgrade to the Meila.

P.S we were not the only people to move from this hotel a lot more people moved after someone decided to do a number two in the pool. Thats the kind of people that go here. I think the people who rate this good must not have visted the same hotel or there previous holidays must of been an extremly low standard. There is new managment so apparently this hotel has gone down hill from last year.

Room Tip: You can't upgrade to the top rooms online you have to do that when you get to the hotel. All roo...
6  Thank 186220Ellaowen
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear guest,

We appreciate you have published on the Trip Advisor, the opinions you have about your stay at Sol Cayo Guillermo.

We were sad, when we read your comments on your review, which show us your stay among us did not fulfill your expectations. Nevertheless we thank you for being so kind to give us your opinions, which help us to improve our daily work, we appreciate this.

Your remarks on your review has already been analysed with the corresponding area managers in our hotel, for them to take the necessary corrective actions, to avoid other guests would suffer the same inconveniences you had, you stayed in our hotel, which did not fulfill your expectations.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

we stayed at this hotel for the first few days on our honeymoon before moving to the hotel next door. I am not a moaner and will put up with most things on a holiday, have been traveling and stayed in some awful places, because that is what there is. this was our honeymoon, the hotel is run down and in need of refurbishment quite a lot of rust. bird fly into the restaurant and peak at the food, staff don't do enough to get them out. kids were sick and pooed in the pool staff did not clean this out and impetigo was caught from the pool, food from the beech wasn't cooked properly. we moved only because this was our honeymoon and the hotel next door suited our needs much better. there are lots of mozzies there and anywhere u stay in cuba there isn't a lot that really works u find what does for u though. I would go back to cuba and see more of it.

1  Thank pat025
Jose Antonio R, Director of Sales at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Customer

We are truly sorry for falling short of your expectations, our deepest apologies for failing on providing you with a positive holiday experience. We do look forward in the hope of being able to welcome you back in the near future and delivering to you the holiday vacation that so many of our guests have experienced and continue to enjoy at Sol Cayo Guillermo.

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We returned from sol Guillermo June 14th and would return.the rooms are spacious and cleaned daily we stayed in114 and the gardener left us a coconut every morning with a straw and a flower lovely gesture. The food is typical al inclusive but you can always find something to eat .we met some lovely people and the hotel even allowed a family to bury ashes of a loved one they could not of been more helpful if they tried. My partner and I were ill and received treatment we were still ill when we got home and have had tests they have come back and verified that it was a viral infection that we had picked up and nothing to do with the hotel food or water. I did speak to Ivan he was very nice rep and I told him this bug was man born and not related to hotel. I just wanted to put Kellie straight on this point. Hopefully we can return next year :-)

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank d22p
Jose Antonio R, Director of Sales at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear Customer

First of all, thank you very much for taking part of your time to write your comments on tripadvisor, we really appreciate it! we love enjoy having feedback from our clients, We hope to see you soon to Welcome you in your second home, your cuban home!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from the Sol Cayo Guillermo (14 to 28 June 2013) where we celebrated our wedding anniversary. This was our third time in Cuba and by far the best holiday that we have had. The beach is lovely and very relaxing. Yes, Cuba can be basic, but if you remember where you are this shouldn't be a problem. Also, this is overruled by the beautiful location and the friendly, hard-working people. Go with an open mind and you should have a good time.

Carlos, Lesi and Yamilla from the lobby bar work hard and made us feel very welcome - they are fantastic. Robe and the chef who carves the meat in the buffet restaurant were very attentive, as was Miguel on the churro stand. These members of staff stood our for us, but all the other staff we met were also good. We had decided that this would be our last trip to Cuba, as there are other parts of the world to explore, but our stay at the Sol Cayo Guillermo has changed our minds on this and we will definitely be back next year!

We actually really like the food in Cuba and thought there was plenty of choice - obviously this is down to personal preference!

As other's have said top tips are to take plenty of insect repellent (although the hotel does spray around the grounds), they are rife even as you get off the aeroplane so take a small one in your hand luggage. Also, take a water filter jug - my husband and I found that this far improved any dodgy tummies that we experienced in Cuba previously, as there are minerals in the water that we're not used to in the UK (we even used the filtered water for cleaning our teeth). I would also suggest that you read up about Cuba before you go - the history and culture is fascinating and it may help you to understand why some of the standards may not meet British expectations. My personal opinion is that many of the people who have a bad time in Cuba do not understand the country or the things that they can do to improve their own health (eg take insect repellent, stay hydrated etc). Also, Cuban culture is to tip - you don't have to tip very much, but pay in Cuba is low. We also take gifts; things like razors, tights and toothpaste are very hard for people to find and sometimes this is worth more than a peso or two.

I would recommend a trip to the mainland, but you don't have to do this through the organised bus trips. You can take a taxi on your own (although I would recommend some knowledge of Spanish if you do this). We had a guided tour around Moron and it was great - a very different experience from spending time on the beach and a chance to see the 'real' Cuba. We have previously been to Havana, but both preferred Moron. We plan to take more guided trips around some other parts of Cuba when we return. You can also take a bus (for about £4 each), which travels round Cayo Guillermo and Cayo Coco and goes to Playa Pilar, which is a beautiful beach.

For those who found Cuban guests rude - you need to remember that it is a different culture to Britain - they would probably be upset if they had realised they'd offended you. It is Cuba - why shouldn't they have a holiday too? If this is something that worries you, then it probably isn't worth you going to the mainland. Also, just because they speak Spanish, doesn't mean they're Cuban.

The only very minor issue was that the housekeeping in the second week wasn't quite as good as it was in the first - if that is the only issue we encountered, I can't see a problem! The hotel have also said that they have addressed this.

Thank you to the staff and management at the Sol Cayo Guillermo for a great holiday.

ps - I am most certainly not a staff member trying to boost the ratings for the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 514 - it's on a higher floor, but is lovely with good views.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Me and my partner stayed at the SCG 13th-27th June and this was the best holiday we have ever been on, and we are already planning our trip back next year!

People need to remember this is not a 5* resort so you shouldn't expect it when you are there!!

Our room was great, quite basic but it had everything we needed, and was always well cleaned and as we didnt spend much time in it, it hardly mattered! We had a great location, 2 seconds away from everything!

I have never seen a beach like the one here, the sea is like a bath and the sand is so soft, it was perfect! The sea is still warm at 3am if you fancy a late night swim too!!

The hotel food is mainly served in the buffet so it can get a bit repetitive, but there is always something good to eat, freshly cooked meat or fish every day, pasta, salad! No one ever went hungry!

The staff and the people we met out there made the holiday!

The staff all over the hotel couldn't do enough for you, they are always smiling even though they work such long hours and have a 4 hour round commute every day. The bar staff always made sure you had a full glass, the restuarant staff remembered you every day and were so polite. The entertainment team work so hard to make sure you arent bored during the day and make sure you are entertained at night with their shows and Carlos in the entertainment team was by far the best member of staff we come across, he is one of the nicest people I have ever met, and ended up being a good friend of all of ours!

I have never wanted to go back to a hotel for a second time but we will be returning around the same time next year for another amazing holiday.

Taylar
xxxx

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 700-900 as these are close enough for the pool/restaurant/bar and you get an a...
3  Thank Taylar W

#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Sercotel Club Cayo Guillermo
Sercotel Club Cayo Guillermo
#5 of 7 in Cayo Guillermo

Been to Sol Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!